• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

16" Tyre Options

Veero

Are there any decent tyres out there for 16" wheels that aren't £100 each and still grip ok?

Just got some 406 Ouragan alloys thinking they were 15" and hence a plentiful selection of reasonable tyres but they're not. :)

Am I right in thinking the correct profile is 205/65/16?

Cheers

Veero

welshpug

profile depends what they're going on, if a 205 it'd be 195 or 205 45 16" a 306 would need 205 or 215 45 16" (neither size is bang on the same but within 1%)

tom_m
Am I right in thinking the correct profile is 205/65/16?

depends on what you're using them on, 65 is the 406 profile.

on a 205 i'd be using in the region of 205/45/16 or 195/45/16

edit: beaten to it! :)

Edited by tom_m

Veero

Ah cheers fellas, they are going on my 205.

Any particular brands/models to look for?

Veero

Just looked on black circle, Goodyear F1s, £285 fitted for all 4.

Not bad at all, thanks chaps, rapid response as ever :)

cybernck

go for 195/45/16 as 205/45/16 will be a tad large.

btw, we should have a discount arranged with Black Circles, so ask for it :).

i think it works out as £10 off for the amount you'll need to spend.

welshpug

be careful with what tyre you get, 195's are a tad narrow on these wheels, I bought a set that had a pair of 195's and a pair of 205's, kerb marks on both 195s :) some tyres have better shoulders though, BFG's and Avon's protect the rim better than many.

hengti

195/45/16s are what i'm using on the Renault; i went with ContiSport Contacts at about £55ea from Fasttyres.co.uk

that's not a bad (fitted) price for the Goodyears

Veero

No I'm wrong the part number says they're 15"s.

Why do 15" rims measure up as a smidgen over 16"? I don't get it? They measure up the same size as the Cyclones on my 306 and the Speedlines on the 205 which are all 15".

Gah I'm confused... :rolleyes:

welshpug

what does it say on the back of the rims? size and name is cast into them.

Veero

Ouragan and 61/2J15.

I assumed that they would actually be 16" diameter. :rolleyes:

Anyway, tyre choices? I've always gone for Goodyear F1s but load of tyres come up on black circle around the £45-55 mark each.

Any good recommendations?

Bridgestone ER300s, Goodyear Hydargrips and Pirelli P5000s all seem to have 5 stars from customer (supposedly) reviews.

d-9

F1s seem to be one of the best all rounders, rainsports are fab in the wet but wear quckly, paradas seemed pretty good to me but theyre not cool anymore (gotta love the internet). Personally think if its just a weekend car Id put R888s on :rolleyes:

Veero

Well it's gonna be a predominantly road car and Ill keep my Speedlines with F1s for track use, so some spritely tyres that don't wear too quickly would be ideal.

Didnt remember seeing R888s on Black circle.

Sod it, maybe Ill just go for the F1s again. What's GSD3 mean? I don't remember mine being GSD3s...

Also is the correct profile for the 15s 195/50/15?

tom_m

the OE profile is 185/55/15 but 195/50/15 is cheaper, more widely available and makes very little difference to the rolling radius.

gsd3 is the latest tread pattern before they went aysmetric, the pattern which came before gsd3 was gsd2, which some profiles are still only available in.

Edited by tom_m

steve@cornwall
No I'm wrong the part number says they're 15"s.

Why do 15" rims measure up as a smidgen over 16"? I don't get it? They measure up the same size as the Cyclones on my 306 and the Speedlines on the 205 which are all 15".

Gah I'm confused... :unsure:

Otherwise the rim would fall straight through the middle of a 15" tyre?

Miles

I've got 195/45/16's on mine and they work a treat, All the Falken 912's which are great and far better than the F1

Veero
Otherwise the rim would fall straight through the middle of a 15" tyre?

Yeah but they both can't be 15" can they, otherwise yes they wouldn't fit, one has to be bigger so why do people always refer to them as 15" rims when in fact they are 16", surely it would be more logical to say a 15" rim and then have a tyre that fitted rather than the other way round, I dunno.

I've got 195/45/16's on mine and they work a treat, All the Falken 912's which are great and far better than the F1

Ah nice one, how do they compare in longevity terms to the F1s? I've had F1s last ages and ages.

Miles

I have never liked F1's from day 1 so I;ve only driven customer car's so I have no idea of life span, I know from the Falkens thou getting 10k out of them is no problems with my driving style.

Sign in to follow this