• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Carb Conversion

hexhamstu

im in swansea, and my car is up in newcastle waiting for an mi16 engine to be fitted by a garage. the engine i have supplied them is running on twin 45s they are happy to fit the engine but are wanting a 1.4 fuel tank to be fitted to run with the carbs.

can some people post pictures of there modified fuel pick ups so i can show them it is possible with gti fuel tank

cheers/

monty69

i dont know about using a facet red top but i am using standard gti pump and tank with 2 regs under bonnet afetr the injection filter, 1st is a turbo reg designed for high injection pressures (which can alter fuel pressure with boost) and 2nd a normal reg. I cant remember but think the return is from 1st reg. I will be altering this setup in future to inside a sealed box inside car with maybe a red top.

wardy18

buy the silver competiton facet pump i think it is, perfect pressure for carbs straight out the box

MrG

I have an 8v on carbs and I run a std pump onto the std filter then onto a pressure regulator then onto the carbs. Fuel pressure is spot on and gives me no trouble at all.

projectpug

Hi

I use the standard pump too with fse turbo regulator the return comes off here. I also use a sytec Pro flow set to 4.5 psi just before the carbs to make sure the pressure is spot on. Most companies doing work including the likes of Skip browns will not do it like this becuse of the risk of fire if a regulator fails.

hexhamstu
Hi

I use the standard pump too with fse turbo regulator the return comes off here. I also use a sytec Pro flow set to 4.5 psi just before the carbs to make sure the pressure is spot on. Most companies doing work including the likes of Skip browns will not do it like this becuse of the risk of fire if a regulator fails.

thats pretty much what they are saying, i think im just going to get them to fit the engine i have on standard management/induction and then sort the carbs at a later date.

Flix

Could you not remove the fuel pump and make a disc with a pick up pipe that fits in its place?

mattbenselin

Hi I am in the process of fitting some bike carbs and had the same issue with the fuel set-up. Instead of getting a Facet or running multiple regulators I have sourced the fuel pump from the bike my carbs come from which obviously will run at the right pressure. I know that doesn't help you but the fuel pick up at the tank was the easy bit! I removed the pump from the tank, seperated the pump from the top seal cap thingy, cut a section of copper or similar pipe and poked it into the feed pipe on the top of the seal cap. This then drops down in lieu of the pump into the tank to the bottom. But curve it a little so you don't suck up the s**t on the botom. Then replace the seal thingy and away you go. The feed pipe already runs to the engine so just connect it to your pump there.

Hope that helps mate

hexhamstu
Hi I am in the process of fitting some bike carbs and had the same issue with the fuel set-up. Instead of getting a Facet or running multiple regulators I have sourced the fuel pump from the bike my carbs come from which obviously will run at the right pressure. I know that doesn't help you but the fuel pick up at the tank was the easy bit! I removed the pump from the tank, seperated the pump from the top seal cap thingy, cut a section of copper or similar pipe and poked it into the feed pipe on the top of the seal cap. This then drops down in lieu of the pump into the tank to the bottom. But curve it a little so you don't suck up the s**t on the botom. Then replace the seal thingy and away you go. The feed pipe already runs to the engine so just connect it to your pump there.

Hope that helps mate

from what ive read this seems like the best plan, so im just going to get them to fit the engine as is, drive it down here and fit the carbs myself over winter some time.

Mikey S

fuelpump.jpg

i converted my bro in laws gti in may this year using the original pump bar the bottom of the pump cut off.

just cut all the way around at the bottom of the squares. seperate and bin the lower half. holding it upside down you will see a pipe sticking down about 2cm. i used a 6 inch piece of fuel pipe hoseclipped to the pipe then refitted into the tank. it all goes back together a treat and wont leak.

best of all it costs sweet fa!

if you have any trouble, shout!

mike

boldy205

sorry i dont have a pic, but as said before, use the std fuel pump, and chop the lower part off, and connect a piece of copper tube with a slight up turn on it to prevent sucking any dirt from the bottom of the tank.

Sign in to follow this