• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
tombo

Gti6 Gearbox Into Phase 2 205

tombo

can anyone who has fitted the 6 speed gti6 box into a 205 advise me on what i need to purchase to enable me to use this.

can the clutch arm be used from a Be3 box so it remains the normal pull type as found on the Be3 and also do i need the gearstick from an early 205 or do i use one from a gti6 as they will need the lift up to engage reverse.?

help needed

Edited by tombo

Cameron

You'll need the lift-up reverse collar and knob from an old 205, you also need to change one of the selector levers to the 205 one and fit the 205 release fork. Should be able to get all the bits from your old box, just sit them side by side and swap the bits that look different.

Baz

And a lock-stop on th rack to stop the wheels rubbing, and expect to do lots of 93point turns.

pip470

Has any one got any pics of the bits to change, i searched for over 4 hours last night and really struggled, I entered "gti6 gearbox" into the search box and had pages of pages with things that said the words but not really in the same context. I know someone did put different ways to add to a search such as the use of a + but cant find it again.

Batfink

I used a be3 clutch arm and selector fork so I could use my original clutch. You need to swap the long gear selector arm for the shorter 205 one (tap out the hollow peg that holds it in place)

You then need to swap the complete speedo housing for the 205 one as the gti-6 one has a different connector.

I didnt put a stop on the steering rack but it needed one as the wheel hits the gearbox casing.

jackherer
Has any one got any pics of the bits to change, i searched for over 4 hours last night and really struggled, I entered "gti6 gearbox" into the search box and had pages of pages with things that said the words but not really in the same context. I know someone did put different ways to add to a search such as the use of a + but cant find it again.

Try +gti6 +gearbox or even "gti6 gearbox".

If you click Advanced Usage Help on the search page it will tell you everything you need to know.

Banjo

Not sure if its worth it, i've got a 306 gti6 and the box is a bit annoying sometimes, and the steering lock is bad enough in a 306 must be a bitch in a 205!

jackherer
Not sure if its worth it, i've got a 306 gti6 and the box is a bit annoying sometimes, and the steering lock is bad enough in a 306 must be a bitch in a 205!

I've been daily driving a gti6 box in a 205 for months and I love it, I wish I'd tried one years ago but I always listened to the advice on here :)

pip470
Try +gti6 +gearbox or even "gti6 gearbox".

If you click Advanced Usage Help on the search page it will tell you everything you need to know.

Thanks jackherer, just what i needed, I actually tried gti6 gearbox, i never had the inverted commas when typing it in the search. I didn't even know that would make a differance, lol. Thanks Though.

Also thanks batfink, I think im going to give it a go.

What is the release fork or selecter fork? is that what holds the thrust bearing/ clutch bearing on the arm?

Peetypug

if you decide to use the earlier lift up reverse gear stick give me a pm

I've got the stick, lift up collar and cable with the bulkhead gromet for sale :)

Cameron

Yeah, the release fork is what moves the release bearing in and out and the release arm fits on the top and attaches the cable. You need one of the selector levers as the GTi6 one is a different shape - you'll see once you have them side by side.

As for driving with one, I've never had any problems. Its slightly harder to park but it's not like you have to make 3-point turns at roundabouts or anything. The awesome gear ratios more than make up for it!

stuRALLYE

when i was thinking about doing this swap everyone said that it wasnt worth it and the ratios are all wrong but i went ahead and its freeking awesome!! 6th is perfect for pottering and its still quick lower down. i had a standing start race with my friend in his 1.9 gti with a 1.6 box over a quater mile and with the 6 box i was about 3/4 of a car length ahead by the end of the quater. 3 point turns are a small price to pay deffinatly :)

Batfink

i forgot about having to convert to lift up reverse!

Personally after fitting a friends gearbox (1.9 with i think either a 1.6 or mi16 final drive) it was the same feel on acceleration but without the 6th gear.

jonnie205

i fitted a few 6 speeds now and find them spot on, makes the car very lively and they pull much harder than with the 1.9 box

Edited by jonnie205

tombo

can anyone advise how they compare to the 1.6 box?

thanks

rapidcossie

why would you want such a box in a 205?

Is it not far to long for even the most powerful pugs?

Jon_Bmw
why would you want such a box in a 205?

Is it not far to long for even the most powerful pugs?

2nd is the same as a 1.6 box.

3rd, 4th and 5th are considerably shorter and closer together. You'd be in the power band all the time after doing the initial 40 mph. You then have a very long 6th gear too attain some MPG back.

It has to be the perfect box which doesn't need gears altering. You could go a bit nuts and put a 4,43 FD out of an mi16 box for ultimate acceleration I guess.

Batfink

you cant use 5 spd final drives in the 6 speed box

rapidcossie

surely the key with a 205 is accelration not MPG?

Jon_Bmw
2nd is the same as a 1.6 box.

3rd, 4th and 5th are considerably shorter and closer together. You'd be in the power band all the time after doing the initial 40 mph. You then have a very long 6th gear too attain some MPG back.

It has to be the perfect box which doesn't need gears altering. You could go a bit nuts and put a 4,43 FD out of an mi16 box for ultimate acceleration I guess.

you cant use 5 spd final drives in the 6 speed box

Thats a shame! Doh.

Rapidcossie did you miss the bit about 3rd 4th and 5th? Do a search on the ratios on the different boxes, download the excel spreadsheet and it will become clear to you why it is a good box.

I'm not bias btw, I just use a normal 1.6 box.

Simsy

Yep, the 6 speed box is awesome, mine always felt a bit slow off the mark, but that was in a 306, in a 205 (circa 250Kg's less?) i would think it would be worth the parking troubles! 3rd gear upwards would be immense too :angry:

Tempting

Cameron

It's even better with a 16V, since all the power is made up the top end. It feels reeeeeally good to change gear and be in the power band straight away. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this