• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rossi

Not Holding Water?

rossi

Right, the Pug has been on the road for 8 days now, and I've covered over 1000 miles already! Apart from it stalling every so often (small airleak somewhere i think, or icv), it doesn't like the idea of holding its water when it gets upto temperature. Water just comes gushing out one the drainage pipe of the coolant tank. I'm not overfilling it either, just upto the level on the tank.

Ive replaced the coolant tank lid for a fresh one, and I've bled the system, so no airlocks. I read it somewhere on here, somebody blocked their coolant tank drainage pipe with wood? Did this work? It's just a bit of a pain as I'm stopping at shell garages for more water than petrol :unsure:

jonnie205

sounds like cooling system is pressurising to excess, could be head gasket failure

Peetypug

did you use a gti6 tank cap?

the one for the 306 is higher pressure and stops the water from coming out

i think ots something like

205 tank cap = 1 bar

306 rad cap = 1.6 bar

rossi

The 306 tank cap doesn't fit on the 205 tank I dont think. But anyway, I've blocked off the 2 drainage holes in the side of the tank with 2 pieces of wood. Seems ok. Ive run it upto temperature, let it cool again and the water isn't pressurized. There's no trace of mayo in or aroundthe lid of the tank anyway

Peetypug

sorry, i dont mean the actual same one as on the 306 rad, but you can get metal versions the same as the ones on the 205 tank

I had the same problem on my 306, water was coming out of the overflow pipe on the rad, i thought it was the head gasket as it was building up pressure and losing water.

It was down to the cap being knackered

welshpug

306 cap fits fine, borrowed a cap off my 205 for the 405 to see if it would stop leaking last week :lol:

Bakes100

Yep 306 cap fits fine, i use a plastic one on mine with no problems whatsoever :lol:

Garry

I have had the same problems on my 6 engined 205.

On my car it turned out to be a slight leak on the headgasket allowing the cooling system to pressurise.

As you say, yours isn't pressurising so it would point to the header tank cap not holding pressure and letting the water out. Also, these engines can be a bit of a pig to bleed.

I bought a new 306 cap from pug and it would not seal properly. I could hear it leaking air by squeezing the coolant pipes. Whether it was missing some of the sealing gaskets I don't know. I made my own gasket out of a rubber gromet and taped over the bottom of the cap as it has vents in it, unlike the solid base used in the 205 one. I also found that the base of the cap on the end of the spring didn't quite touch and seal against the inside of the header tank, so I put a gromet on that too. Having made these mods the cap fits really tight and is leak proof.

As far as I know, the blowing out of coolant is quite common. I spoke to 16v205 (Rich) about it and his does the same, he just puts a bit less water in it in the first place.

Bakes100

Funny you should say that about the cap not sealing, on my 306 i brought a new rad and cap. The cap would leak as the seal wasnt touching, it was the same when i refitted the old cap. I needed to open out the outlet on the rad and it sealed fine after that.

I have found when bleeding the radiator just undo the bleed nipple on the thermostat housing, fill it up until the water starts coming out of the nipple then tighten it up. Start the engine and when the thermostat opens top it up to the required level. Then go for a drive and after it has cooled and the pressure has gone down check the water again and top up :lol:

Edited by Bakes100

Guest Le JC
sounds like cooling system is pressurising to excess, could be head gasket failure

Can check that with a tire pressure gauge if you want.

You can add a valve to measure the pressure. Make a 10mm hole and use a tubeless valve to fit on the water bowl. A rubber one or a metalic one fits, I have the 2 solutions on my cars.

This can also help you to find some leaks without running the engine and also allow you to check the pressure cap setting.

Like this :

pict2342qv3.jpg

Sign in to follow this