• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
SPGTi

Oil Cooler

SPGTi

At the moment on my 1.9 8v I don't run an oil cooler but when I change to 16v I think this may be necessary.

The car is used for road rallies, so is kept at high rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd for fairly long periods of time.

So my questions are :

What size cooler : 235mm 13 row ?

Keep the std take of plate and just make up new hoses or is it worth getting a new take off plate with in built stat and maybe even take offs for oil temp and pressure gauges ?

Is the std place to mount the oil cooler the best ?

Where is the best (cheapest) place to get the kit ?

cheers

Steve

Baz

13row seems to be the common application, i have one with the Mocal take off plate and braided hoses etc, but i see no reason why you couldn't use the std kit.

DSC00169.jpg

http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/205.../DSC00005-1.jpg

Happy birthday btw Steve!! B)

Edited by cybernck

Stu

I run this setup too, 13 row Mocal with take-off (no stat) and the hoses were made to my spec by pirtek..

oilcoolersept08002.jpg

oilcoolersept08010.jpg

oilcoolersept08009.jpg

oilcoolersept08008.jpg

And to feed it with cold air...

oilcoolersept08011.jpg

SPGTi
Happy birthday btw Steve!! B)

Thanks !

I am wondering whether I will need a stat or not. Some events in winter are pretty cold and when lots of water is involved the oil gets cooled pretty quickly, so I don't want to also be cooling it with a big cooler.

Stu,

That looks a neat installation I would just be worried about breaking it being mounted that low.

Does anyone run these take off plates that also have threads for oil pressure / temperature gauges ? It would just seem to be handier than having to tee off the standard switches.

Steve

Atari Boy
And to feed it with cold air...

oilcoolersept08011.jpg

Nice, any pics of the bumper fitted on the car?

tom_m

my 13 row lived here briefly and came to no harm, with a stat take-off and the hoses that came with it.

ASW.jpg

Edited by tom_m

jackherer
I am wondering whether I will need a stat or not. Some events in winter are pretty cold and when lots of water is involved the oil gets cooled pretty quickly, so I don't want to also be cooling it with a big cooler.

I would, I did a trackday at the weekend with a freshly fitted mocal and stat a couple of days ago, using an SPA digi temp gauge it didn't reach 80 degrees (the stat opening temp) for several laps so the stat was closed for that time. After that the temp fluctuated between 86 and 88 presumably as the stat opened and closed. On the road its not going to open apart from sustained high speeds I wouldn't have thought.

Very pleased with how it worked overall, last time we took this car on track it could only do 7 or 8 laps before the oil was burning hot and now it can go indefinitely on the same track. This is on an S16 with a tin sump that had no oil cooler at all before.

Stu
Nice, any pics of the bumper fitted on the car?

Only these mate...

eurofest6sept170.jpg

eurofest6sept130.jpg

Atari Boy
Only these mate...

Nice work, it looks good. :unsure:

Sign in to follow this