• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simsy

My New 205...few Things

Simsy

I thought it was easier to include it all in one thread.

I'm loving the 205 so far, but i have a few things i want to fix up right now.

1. Occasional starter motor click when hot before cranking properly (Earth? Dirty connections)

2. Jerkiness at part throttle when moving along slowly, OK with more than 1/4 throttle applied (AFM? Throttle switch)

3. Horn dosen't work :lol:

4. "Drivetrain shunt", possibly play in the engine and gearbox mounts as they are original B)

5. Rusty Fogs - GSF for these or somewhere else?

6. Corroded alloys, looking here for that, thoughts? - eBay link

I'm doing the timing belt, water pump, plugs, leads, oil and filters today and setting the ignition timing up tomorrow when i can borrow a timing light so she should be sweet by this weekend, also getting the wheels done so she should look good too :)

Rupertfinch

2. Jerkiness? They all do that! Well some more than others. Make sure all that you've mentionned are cleaned are working properly. Some claim that a chipped ecu will cure that low speed jerk, I'm not convinced.

5. Rusty fogs - if they're still working, might it be worth your while doing a little bit of DIY on them? I had this with mine and decided to remove them, clean away the rust, prime and then use that Plastikote paint on them. They're not concours but look a heck of a lot better.

6. Apparently this guy 'Tony 205?' does a good job, though why bother putting RARE in the item title? Always looks ridiculous.

You'll never get it running absolutely perfect, there'll always be something else to do! And we wouldn't have it any other way.

Mark.

matty_gti
1. Occasional starter motor click when hot before cranking properly (Earth? Dirty connections)

2. Jerkiness at part throttle when moving along slowly, OK with more than 1/4 throttle applied (AFM? Throttle switch)

3. Horn dosen't work :)

4. "Drivetrain shunt", possibly play in the engine and gearbox mounts as they are original B)

5. Rusty Fogs - GSF for these or somewhere else?

6. Corroded alloys, looking here for that, thoughts? -

Hi,

1. Starter solenoid. Cure - New starter.

2. 205's (8v...) are prone at doing this and there lots of little things you can do to calm it down.

3. New horn or wireing, i dont think it would be the stalk but worth checking them all.

4. Could be a number of things but the first thing to do would be to replace the mount at the back if it is as you say, original.

5. Gsf, Peugeot, 205parts, lots of places stock these, some better qaulity than others.

6. Alloys, there are millions of different alloys but which ones look the best....IMO the speedlines :lol:.

Hope this helps. :D

Matt

Edited by matty_gti

Baz

Starter motor's a common issue, if it intermittently clicks it sounds like the solenoid's on it's way out, replacement starter being the easiest option.

Simsy

Cheers guys, i'm off to GSF later, are the Dayco belts and whatever water pumps and tensioners they supply OK or is it better to visit Pug for that?

Baz

GSF's parts are ok, pug will just pull your pants down!

damien

get yourself a halfords trade card for the normal service parts, gsf are good for everything else but its always worth looking at the service box to compare prices as sometimes peugeot can suprise you. buypartsby is also a useful place for parts like wishbones

Simsy
get yourself a halfords trade card for the normal service parts, gsf are good for everything else but its always worth looking at the service box to compare prices as sometimes peugeot can suprise you. buypartsby is also a useful place for parts like wishbones

Got a halfords trade card, its been used so much on the 6 it won't scan anymore and the numbers are barely visible :unsure:

Checked the plugs today and they look a bit whiter than i would like, indicating it to be running a bit lean. There are no air leaks i can see and the gaps are all OK, perhaps ignition timing combined with me using 95 Ron (all the petrol station had on the way home). There is evidence of the AFM cover being removed at some point, perhaps its been tweaked (assuming you can tweak it either way). I haven't removed it again as i'm unsure how it works, so i'll find out first before i do :)

The 8 year old cambelt looks surprisingly good condition wise but i'm changing that tomorrow. Should be a fair bit easier than the old GTi6 was :)

Tom Fenton

I've fixed more than one "clicking" starter by replacing the wire that goes to the solenoid. It goes hard and brittle with the heat from the engine until it doesn't conduct very well any more. Its worth a go before you go buying a new starter as it isn't a difficult job and you only need a bit of wire and some decent crimps.

damien
Checked the plugs today and they look a bit whiter than i would like, indicating it to be running a bit lean. There are no air leaks i can see and the gaps are all OK, perhaps ignition timing combined with me using 95 Ron (all the petrol station had on the way home). There is evidence of the AFM cover being removed at some point, perhaps its been tweaked (assuming you can tweak it either way). I haven't removed it again as i'm unsure how it works, so i'll find out first before i do :unsure:

the AFM mite of been re-tracked in its life to improve idle hence the cover being removed at some point. if she is running abit lean you mite just need to ajust the screw on the AFM

Simsy

Cool, i'll have a gander tomorrow ;)

Simply changing the air filter (filth!) and fuel filter (old and skanky) has made it pick up better, new belts and IGN timing check tomorrow, with the addition of some V Power (the book says avoid 95).

The weather today has reminded me why Pirelli P6000's should be illegal, they are fooking dangerous in the wet! :mellow:

nick

You can buy the metal surrounds for the spotlights from Pug... about £5 each. Good if the rest of the light unit is sound.

Nick

Rupertfinch
You can buy the metal surrounds for the spotlights from Pug... about £5 each. Good if the rest of the light unit is sound.

Genius information - you learn something new everyday!

Simsy

Right, GSF have informed me my bits are in.

Do you guys set your ignition up with a timing light to the manufacturer spec or have a fiddle by hand/ear and see what works?

I guess i could advance a bit at a time and see what happens, with V-Power (theoretically 98) it might be more resistant to detonation than the old girl was back in 1990? That said, a catless car could have been run on leaded so perhaps not? :lol:

richsmells
Genius information - you learn something new everyday!

You can put the lenses in the dish washer too! mine came up like new.

Edited by richsmells

Simsy

No way, my fogs are beyond repair! :lol:

Was going to do the belt today but i stopped halfway as i wasn't sure i could finish it with the engine mount still on, i think i'll do it tomorrow when i've made a tool to get to the 17mm bolt heads on the mount. GSF have given me the tensioner bearing the belt rides on but there looks to be some sort of spring tensioner on there (held on with two 10mm bolts) that they didn't give me :lol:

Should i change that too? Pug dealer for that?

I noticed the mount is a bit farked too, as in, its in two pieces :blush: The rubber has split in two!

Simsy

Well, new mount fitted and its much better but still a bit shuntlike when changing gear, so i'll be doing the lower mount and gearbox mount aswell :(

I also seem to have a bit of gearstick wobble under load. Is that likely to be early CV joint wear or something more sinister appearing?

I have a list of things i want to do with this car to bring it to a good standard, its pretty long :)

jackherer

Gearstick wobble will be the lower engine mount moving, change it (and the gearbox one) quickly as your new top mount will be moving more than its meant to and will wear prematurely.

Simsy
Gearstick wobble will be the lower engine mount moving, change it (and the gearbox one) quickly as your new top mount will be moving more than its meant to and will wear prematurely.

Already on the case with that mate :)

Sign in to follow this