• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Split Cv Boot

welshpug

ahh yes, a very well illustrated guide by Welly, nothing I can think to add!

GLPoomobile

Would anyone be in the least bit surprised to hear that yet again something has gone wrong?

Ordered the driveshaft on tuesday morning pre 9am from GSF, knowing full well they are usually quick at sourcing bits. I ask the guy how long it will take, he tells me they are showing one in stock in Heathrow, and if that's no good they have one in Birmigham, so it'll be in in a day or 2. I tell him I can't pick up until Sat morning, and he reassures me it'll be in before then.

So I called today to check, and it's not in. And the guy tells me it may not be in this week. They also sold one to another customer the very same day I ordered mine (I was pissed off about that but in hindsight that customer must have ordered his before me and just picked it up that day). So I tell him that it's going to totally screw me if it's not in this week as I have to drive to Scotland and have a dead CV (little exageration never hurt) so can he do anything to get it in sooner. No, of course not, that would be too much to ask, as they couldn't possibly go out of their way to actually help a customer, could they? :P

So if it's not in tomorrow, I have 3 choices:

1 - Hope they get it in before next wednesday, and then swap the shaft in the dark after work, in the freezing cold, before I drive to Edinburgh on Thurs night.

2 - Attempt to split my CV joint and fit a new boot. Which means more pissing about in the freezing cold (we've already established I'm incompetant, and this is therefore bound to be a waste of many hours), and I'd have to buy the boot from them, which I'm loathe to do as this has been yet another let down from the Hornsey branch.

3 - Take it to my usual garage and let them sort it out, which means more time off work going back and forth.

Fun and games eh? Fun and cock sucking games :D

Edited by GLPoomobile

Simsy
Would anyone be in the least bit surprised to hear that yet again something has gone wrong?

Ordered the driveshaft on tuesday morning pre 9am from GSF, knowing full well they are usually quick at sourcing bits. I ask the guy how long it will take, he tells me they are showing one in stock in Heathrow, and if that's no good they have one in Birmigham, so it'll be in in a day or 2. I tell him I can't pick up until Sat morning, and he reassures me it'll be in before then.

So I called today to check, and it's not in. And the guy tells me it may not be in this week. They also sold one to another customer the very same day I ordered mine (I was pissed off about that but in hindsight that customer must have ordered his before me and just picked it up that day). So I tell him that it's going to totally screw me if it's not in this week as I have to drive to Scotland and have a dead CV (little exageration never hurt) so can he do anything to get it in sooner. No, of course not, that would be too much to ask, as they couldn't possibly go out of their way to actually help a customer, could they? :P

So if it's not in tomorrow, I have 3 choices:

1 - Hope they get it in before next wednesday, and then swap the shaft in the dark after work, in the freezing cold, before I drive to Edinburgh on Thurs night.

2 - Attempt to split my CV joint and fit a new boot. Which means more pissing about in the freezing cold (we've already established I'm incompetant, and this is therefore bound to be a waste of many hours), and I'd have to buy the boot from them, which I'm loathe to do as this has been yet another let down from the Hornsey branch.

3 - Take it to my usual garage and let them sort it out, which means more time off work going back and forth.

Fun and games eh? Fun and cock sucking games :D

So yours is a daily driver then? Same here, if the Peugeot dealer doesn't get my coolant hose in tomorrow i am screwed bigtime, whats worse is i start a new job on Monday so they really need to! Relying on a second hand car (and a french one at that) is stressful sometimes! :D

How much do GSF want for a shaft?

GLPoomobile
So yours is a daily driver then? Same here, if the Peugeot dealer doesn't get my coolant hose in tomorrow i am screwed bigtime, whats worse is i start a new job on Monday so they really need to! Relying on a second hand car (and a french one at that) is stressful sometimes! :P

How much do GSF want for a shaft?

It's just over £100 exchange, but I'll get about £25 back when I take an old shaft back. I don't enjoy pissing money up the wall but when time is tight and you've got dependancies to think about, sometimes you have to just take the easier road.

No, it's not a daily driver. But I had a trip up to Edinburgh the other week that couldn't be put off, and only found the split in the boot right before I left, which has now become a completely torn boot. And in a week I've got to drive to Edinburgh again and on to Loch Ness for a week, so it has to be fixed.

What coolant hose do you need? I may be able to help you out.

Masekwm

Considered mail ordering it from GSF? Then it doesn't matter where it comes from they send it by Parcelforce 24h.

I think mine was only £63 from GSF back in September.

Simsy
It's just over £100 exchange, but I'll get about £25 back when I take an old shaft back. I don't enjoy pissing money up the wall but when time is tight and you've got dependancies to think about, sometimes you have to just take the easier road.

No, it's not a daily driver. But I had a trip up to Edinburgh the other week that couldn't be put off, and only found the split in the boot right before I left, which has now become a completely torn boot. And in a week I've got to drive to Edinburgh again and on to Loch Ness for a week, so it has to be fixed.

What coolant hose do you need? I may be able to help you out.

I've sorted it thanks mate, it was the 90 degree bent one that goes from the stat housing to the block above the SAD. Peugeot got it in for me for a mere £6.32, it arrived this morning. B)

GLPoomobile

Just a thought, that I need to some feedback on (haven't called GSF yet to see if the shaft is in).

If I do have to resort to replacing the boot this weekend, and I find that I can't knock the outer CV off to do it, I could obviously split the inner CV instead and slide the boot on that way.

Is it as easy as I think it is to seperate the inner CV (drivers side)? Cos the spare one I've been talking about is split apart, and playing about with it there doesn't appear to be any circlip on the shaft, or any provision for one. It looks like the shaft just slides in to the CV and is held tere by the boot being tied down and the shaft being clamped between the hub and lower engine mount. So if that's correct, I should be able to pull the inner joint apart easily and refit it easily too.

steve@cornwall
Just a thought, that I need to some feedback on (haven't called GSF yet to see if the shaft is in).

If I do have to resort to replacing the boot this weekend, and I find that I can't knock the outer CV off to do it, I could obviously split the inner CV instead and slide the boot on that way.

Is it as easy as I think it is to seperate the inner CV (drivers side)? Cos the spare one I've been talking about is split apart, and playing about with it there doesn't appear to be any circlip on the shaft, or any provision for one. It looks like the shaft just slides in to the CV and is held tere by the boot being tied down and the shaft being clamped between the hub and lower engine mount. So if that's correct, I should be able to pull the inner joint apart easily and refit it easily too.

Depends on how the tripod bearing is fixed at the inner end - if it's held with a circlip at the end of the shaft, it's an easy enough job, not even any need to undo the hub nut. If the inner end has the splines peened over to fix the tripod it's not so good. Not sure but isn't the cone method for the latter situation?

Sign in to follow this