• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jengis

1.6 To 2.0 8v Conversion

jengis

Hi,

I have been offered an XSi 8v engine with ex manifold, inlet, loom and ecu - everything really. But it looks like the inlet wont fit, much like with 16v conversions.

Those who have used this engine, how did you run it? Is there an easy option, for example using my inlet and management (don't want to modify the port shape though), or cutting down the XSi manifold?

Secondly, what are the ratio's for the XSi gearbox, I can have this too if I want.

Lastly, are these ECU's likely to be locked?

welshpug

I wouldnt bother with this engine myself, too heavy and underpowered to be an upgrade over the 1.6, though they do run better management.

Anthony

Works well enough using a 1.6/1.9 inlet manifold (reshape the ports to match) with a dizzy and Jetronic management, and a GTi or hotter cam. Something like 130-135hp and similar torque. For the amount of work though, you might as well just stick with a 1.9 8v.

Original XSi ECU will likely be locked unless it was from a very early car, or the seller knew to unlock it before removing (unlikely)

jengis
Works well enough using a 1.6/1.9 inlet manifold (reshape the ports to match) with a dizzy and Jetronic management, and a GTi or hotter cam. Something like 130-135hp and similar torque. For the amount of work though, you might as well just stick with a 1.9 8v.

Original XSi ECU will likely be locked unless it was from a very early car, or the seller knew to unlock it before removing (unlikely)

Hmm, thats what I thought. A search threw up the option of 405 SRi (?) or BX GTi inlet manifold. I have never seen these but are they pretty much the same as 205 Jetronic inlet but with round runners?

Oh, and 1.9 8v is always an option but I have a nice running 1.6 GTi and a 2.0 engine with all ancillaries sitting on a mates garage floor.... seems rude not to!

jengis

I think it will be worth it.

I will use the Jetronic management and my inlet to keep things simple. I plan to do a DIY job on the port matching, any pics or help with this would be apreciated.

Cheers

ifcho

or use it as a base engine for turbo conversion :)

Baz
Hmm, thats what I thought. A search threw up the option of 405 SRi (?) or BX GTi inlet manifold. I have never seen these but are they pretty much the same as 205 Jetronic inlet but with round runners?

Oh, and 1.9 8v is always an option but I have a nice running 1.6 GTi and a 2.0 engine with all ancillaries sitting on a mates garage floor.... seems rude not to!

The xu10 is pretty different in design to the gti one. Why change the 1.6 if you have a good one!

jengis
The xu10 is pretty different in design to the gti one. Why change the 1.6 if you have a good one!

By "nice running" I meant I have spent money getting the chassis sorted, love how sharp it is. The engine is a bit smokey and just a wee bit gutless. I like the revvy nature of the 1.6 but I have always thought the magic of hot hatches is that there is a big, torquey engine in a light, agile car.

Can anyone confirm that the iron block is "only" 23kg heavier than the alloy one? I will re-locate the batery to the boot to restore the balance in that case.

Like the option of turbo in future!!

craig f90
or use it as a base engine for turbo conversion :)

Too right. Be pointless swaping a 1.6 for the 2.0 N/A unless its gonna be powered by a 16v or a turbo. By the time youve put the time and money into your conversion you'll probably be hoping for loads more oomph for your efforts.

jengis
Too right. Be pointless swaping a 1.6 for the 2.0 N/A unless its gonna be powered by a 16v or a turbo. By the time youve put the time and money into your conversion you'll probably be hoping for loads more oomph for your efforts.

Thanks for your thoughts on this, all good advice.

Surely it depends how much time and money though. I can't afford Mi, S16, GTi-6 conversions etc. I need to get my engine out to stop the rot in the engine bay and fit a new clutch at some point soon. I have been offered an XSi engine for "mates rates" and its seems a good idea to me. Even if it only makes 120 bhp, the added torque will be worthwhile.

Anyone on here actually done the conversion? How will the jetronic setup cope with the engine? I imagine a bit of tweeking with the afm and the dizzy will get it near enough?

ifcho

getting rid of the jetronic is one of the main reasons for fitting this engine..

jengis
getting rid of the jetronic is one of the main reasons for fitting this engine..

Do you have any tips for making the inlet maifold fit if I swap to magnetti Marrelli?

Anthony

Can't say I agree with that at all. A 1.6 - 2.0 conversion is almost as straight forwards as a 1.6 - 1.9 8v conversion, and similar money too (given that the engines are cheap). For that you're going to get 20-25hp more, and probably another 30-35lbft torque, and keep the punchy power delivery of an 8v.

16v conversion you're talking alot more time and effort, and frankly I'd rather have the 1.6 GTi engine than a standard 2.0 8v Turbo even without taking into account the significant costs and effort of doing the conversion properly.

projectpug

Why dont you like the 2.0 turbo Anthony?

Sign in to follow this