• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bakes100

Reangling Master Cylinder

Bakes100

Hi Guys

I am looking to get abit more m/c clearance on my gti6 conversion.

Does anyone no if it possible to angle it with the engine in the car?? or is it a definite engine out jobby?

Thanks

DrSarty

I'm very keen to hear an answer on this too.

*For anyone who doesn't know, the iron (XU10) block is nearly 12mm taller than standard and alloy (XU9) engines and so you can have either exhaust downpipe or brake master cylinder (or both) clearance issues*

Anyway, I had a look at this - even before I put my engine in :D - but didn't try this M/C reangling approach, choosing instead to suck it and see. Well I have cam cover clearance issues, and may well just grind it down as others do.

What I saw with my master cylinder which put me off, was that in the engine bay you just see the flat heads of two captive studs; the bolt and washer must be inside near the pedals. So if you remove the nut and washers inside, pull the bottom of the M/C out a little and space it with a thick washer to give the clearance you need from the cam cover at the top end, then doesn't that leave a gap which water could get in which would need filling?

So, are the nuts and washers inside? And what do you do to fill the gap that's created?

Any advice for both of us would be much appreciated I feel.

Edited by DrSarty

Rob Thomson
So, are the nuts and washers inside?

Yep, there are nuts and washers inside the car that hold the pedal box assembly to the shell.

You might be able to fill the gap with mastic or something, but it would be much easier to do that with the engine out.

t16ryan

I just reangled mine using some washers, then some 8mm gasket foam to run around it and its sealed well and gave plently of clearance :D

T16TrackCar008.jpg

trackcar012.jpg

DrSarty

That's brilliant, Rob & Ryan.

1) Where did the foam come from please?

& 2) Did you manage to do this engine in?

t16ryan

give me ya address i will send ya some got loads left over :D i did it first with engine out then took a couple of washers out to get it to sit where i wanted it too, i also done Nats ( AllPraiseTheGTi) with the engine in without any trouble :)

Peetypug

come on

tell us all

whats the foam called :D

i've just put 2 washers on the bottom 2 pins of the servo

but i'm also thinking of putting some on the pedal box as well, just to be certain

t16ryan

Unsure what the foam is called, we use it when we fit Nissan Navara SnugTops and it does the job well i have a few reels :D if you want one let me no ya address and will chuck one in the post to ya, :)

DrSarty
Unsure what the foam is called, we use it when we fit Nissan Navara SnugTops and it does the job well i have a few reels :D if you want one let me no ya address and will chuck one in the post to ya, :)

Tried to PM you Ryan but the system won't allow it.

My PUBLIC e-mail address (as shown in the Euro Trip thread) is <rifle556@yahoo.co.uk>.

I'll reply with my address. Many thanks.

t16ryan

Email Sent :D Ryan

Peetypug

hi ryan

thats very kind of you to offer some :)

i tried to mail you but its not allowing me to

if its ok with sarty i'll send him my address to forward to you as i dont want to give my email out on here :P

thanks mate

Super Josh
give me ya address i will send ya some got loads left over :P i did it first with engine out then took a couple of washers out to get it to sit where i wanted it too, i also done Nats ( AllPraiseTheGTi) with the engine in without any trouble :)

Nice one Ryan ;) So how many washers did you use on each stud from the bottom to the top of the pedal box? ;)

Josh

Sign in to follow this