• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gibbo GTI

Short Shift

Gibbo GTI

I finally got round to modifying the 'L' bracket by moving the ball 20mm inwards. This has improved the throw slighly but I would really like it much shorter. Those that have done this mod, how far did you move the pivot point?

Spiky

only moved mine 17mm, not fitted it back on yet to test,

i've seen on here some have moved it 25mm, but thats the limit they said

th_DSC05537.jpg

th_DSC05538.jpg

engine killer

I have instead of moving it inward, I welded a plate to the long arm of the "L-plate" and drilled a few holes there to give adjustability. I can now have setting between original and ultra short throw.

Baz

i personally don't like the extended welded ones, unless you can trust the welds etc,

It's said that 25mm is about the max or the gearchange starts getting very notchy, and you'll have trouble engaging gears in a hurry.

Gibbo GTI
i personally don't like the extended welded ones, unless you can trust the welds etc,

It's said that 25mm is about the max or the gearchange starts getting very notchy, and you'll have trouble engaging gears in a hurry.

Thats why I went for 20mm. The throw is still way longer than my standard rover coupe. Has anyone fitted one of the gear levers from ebay?

Edited by Gibbo GTI

Baz

the lengthened un-welded ones? if so yes i have one on one of my cars, it's great, although as i say above, sometimes makes changing in a hurry notchy/difficult, although that could also be my worn out 155k mile 'box/dragging clutch. :huh:

engine killer

it is quite right for both moving inward (cutting the short arm and weld it back together) and extending outward (welding a plate to the long arm), so a good welder is the key for both method. my welder guaranteed me to survive trackday abused :huh:

Thats why I went for 20mm. The throw is still way longer than my standard rover coupe. Has anyone fitted one of the gear levers from ebay?

by cutting the short arm you don't get any alternative but by extending it, you don't get just one setting but some if you have it extended by 4cm like what i have done.

anyway you can just drill an extra hole along the short arm instead of cut and weld, it will still be strong enough. :)

I also have the gear lever from TAS. if you look at it (the picture) carefully, there is a small hole 4 cm above the pivot point, it will CRACK!

vickiw106

i extended mine on my rally car by 45mm

i have no problems very nice quick change

Sign in to follow this