• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

What Earth Points To Replace?

RAF_gti

Seeing as how I've got the front end of the car apart what earthing points should I be looking to replace?

I can see the main earth running down from the batery but is there a further 'ganged up' point that is worthwhile redoing?

Apologies for yet another question!

MrG

I only know of the 2 between the bonnet and the scuttle. Mine were frayed and damaged so put 2 new ones on.

platty

There should be two, one either side of the radiator, inside a plastic bag type affair. I took them off of the silly distribution block, cleaned the paint away, crimped them up with a ring terminal, and put a stainless steel nut and bolt on them. I Did the same to the two you find on either side of the steering column.

I also moved the main earth from behind the washer bottle, to the rear of the engine bay, again, a nice big stainless bolt, and a couple of brass nuts. Ive got bugger all resistance between the points now. A 205 I worked on at the weekend had 40ohms between chassis earth points!

Edited by platty

nick9one1

I have a question regarding earth points. I've nearly finished rebulding my 205 (engine and interior out job)

Under the bonnet I have the 2 earth housing blocks either side of the radiator. the gearbox earth and the battery earth near the washer bottle.

Inside I have the 2 housings either side of the steering column, both with one connector block in (i think) and finally a connector capable of earthing 2 blocks up inside the glovebox.

but what is confising me is i still have a brown earth housing spare?? I have a feeling it goes somewhere in the central column but im not sure?

Cheers!

nick9one1

anyone??

Baz

What exactly do you mean? Sorry just not worded very well, so not clear.

Where is the 'brown housing'? and what do you mean by 'housing'?

platty

Theres one inside the boot by the N/S rear light cluster.

I think he means the actual distribution block Baz.

nick9one1

sorry, maybe socket is a better word than housing. You have the earth sockets that bolts to the body, then the plugs with all the wires that are earthed.

I have sockets either side of the rad,

One near the battery/washer bottle.

Gearbox,

Two either side of the steering column,

and one up inside the glovebox.

yet I still have a brown earth socket that you screw to the body left over?

NeilGTi85
A 205 I worked on at the weekend had 40ohms between chassis earth points!

:unsure:

Baz

there is a brown flying 4/5pin 'plug' usually dorment down by the washer bottle, could be that. It's the fan test plug.

nick9one1

Its a brown socket I have spare.

SurGie
there is a brown flying 4/5pin 'plug' usually dorment down by the washer bottle, could be that. It's the fan test plug.

Hi Baz,

How do you test the fan with this plug ?

Cheers

Baz

Easiest way is to give each pin a 12v+ feed, usually finds the half and full fan speeds. (And the negative...)

SurGie
Easiest way is to give each pin a 12v+ feed, usually finds the half and full fan speeds. (And the negative...)

Do you mean 1 pin for 12v live and other the earth or are both pins a 12v live for the fan to

work and test, 1 pin for slow fan other for fast fan speed etc

Cheers

Sign in to follow this