• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrG

Used Dampers

MrG

How can you tell if used front and rear dampers are OK when they're not fitted on the car?

Should you be able to contract them easily or should they be fairly stiff and hard? If you can push them down, should they take a while to extend?

silly Q I know but need to know.

Cheers

jimistdt

I know you can compress the strandard Pug ones by hand, but its more important that they are smooth in operation.

Jimi :blink:

Baz

You can compress them and there'll be resistance if they're good, and as jimi says, smooth. They won't instantly return, but will over time, the springs do more of the return.

MrG

I have a set of bilsteins that I intend to put on my car, the rears are like that, I can push them in and there is resistance and it takes a while for them to return, but the fronts, I can compress down and then watch them return, all smooth though without any juddering.

welshpug

that'll be gas charged units then, they will do that over normal oil filled non pressurised units.

MrG

Thanks WP.

HERMAN

Slightly of topic but has any body heard of LID GAS shock absorbers?? They are bright yellow and could easly be confussed with Bilsteins? Only the rear beam that I in the process of overhalling was fitted with them and I was wondering if there worth keeping??

Sorry to but in the thread. :huh:

Sign in to follow this