• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Tom Fenton

206 Gti Torsion Bars

Tom Fenton

A week or so ago I swapped a 206 GTI beam for a customer of mine, he sourced a complete second hand beam.

Therefore I have a complete but knackered 206 GTI beam sat outside so I've started to eye up what I can use off it.

The first obvious ones are a pair of rear calipers, I think the rear wheel bearings could be the same as 205 1900 ones too, and I will also be checking the stub axles.

Then I started to look at the torsion bars, the bars themselves are 20mm, and I've removed the anti roll bar and this is 21mm. The torsion bars are too long to use I think, but the anti roll bar has one splined end and one end with the plate and a collar welded to the end of the bar. I'm thinking about getting this in the lathe, turning the weld off to get the end plate and collar off, and then shortening it to fit a 205. Should provide a nice upgrade over the standard 19mm ARB for a road going 205 I reckon.

pug_ham

The arb wil be fine after trimming, just be sure to weld the end plate on inline so you don't have to move the other radius arm to get the bolt through the end plate into the arm. (I've got a 24mm one that isn't & its a PITA so I haven't used it).

I had a 20mm arb on the back of my STDT for a short while & its was OK, hardly noticable but a bit better.

Not sure if the wheel bearings are the same & service box is laying up so I can't check but I'm sure they could be used if they are the same size etc.

Graham.

welshpug

wheel bearings as with the 205 are part of the hub, hub nut is the same part number, no idea about the dimensions of the stub pins.

Sign in to follow this