• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DrSarty

Cone Filter For R1 Throttle Bodies

DrSarty

Nearly ready for the rolling road at Emerald :rolleyes: .

I want 4 x cone filters for the 52mm external diameter R1 ITBs, and am searching for the cone type that have an open end - the end that is normally just a flat chrome disk - that gives a kind of 'ram air' effect.

Can anyone post a link to a place that sells them please. It's proving a frickin' nightmare finding them.

Rich

Edited by DrSarty

platty

airfiltertop.jpg

Thats the style you mean?

Although I've never seen them go down that small

DrSarty

That's exactly the style Platty. I've found Ramair Jetstreams and other stuff, but they are either just a little too big (60mm ID fitting rather than the 52mm of the R1s) or sold in some gay boy 'induction kit' fashion for £80!!!

Anyway. Too late now; I've just bought some 52mm Dellortos on eBay from a guy in Reading, which have a shiny chrome end. (£62 sent :D )

Just for s*its and giggles, I may carefully drill out the end and place a foam plug in there. Then again, maybe I won't.

BTW Platty, you're being most helpful of late. The forum is a brighter place with you on it. Beer soon me thinks.

Would be interesting to see what other people recommend though, because I want to feel sick that I've just bought the wrong thing.

bobob

Have you tried Demon Tweeks?

tom_m

out of interest Rich what made you chose individual filters over a larger single element?

and any plans to knock up a full on maxi style forward facing induction filter a-la Rich (16v205) and Stu (Baker)?

platty
BTW Platty, you're being most helpful of late. The forum is a brighter place with you on it. Beer soon me thinks.

Cheers Rich,

A beer sounds good, helps to wash down curry in my experience :D

craig f90
Have you tried Demon Tweeks?

Green sell them through demon tweeks. IIRC Twin cone filters are their name, but i think sizes are limited and start at £50ish.

Batfink

Rich i can get you green filters. I have the whole catalogue at work :lol:

Edited by Batfink

DrSarty
Rich i can get you green filters. I have the whole catalogue at work B)

Should've thought of you Kev. Doh!

Never mind, my Dellortos are on order now, and should look fairly sexual (which I hope answers your question Tom?).

I probably will make a slight 'air guide/ramp' just above the rad - which is ultra low like yours - which will not only channel air even more into the little filters, but can be heat insulated underneath to stop warm air rising into the flow. My throttle bodies are right at the grille though, so they're getting mega pressured and rammed air anyway. (Hmmm...rammed :lol: ... B) )

I still may drill out a 1-1.5inch diameter hole in the end of each filter anyway and mesh/filter element protect them, just to get a bit more, uber direct air flow in.

It's probably all a bit OTT really, and I could've bought a big ITG or similar 'sock' thingy, but I like the look of individual cones and they all do the same job. Plus I can pop these off and clean them easily.

f*** it! I just wanted shiny bits alright?? B)

Batfink

What you wanted was a twin cone filter. That has the small cone in the front area and the normal outer cone. They flow a lot more air.

This brings we on to a conversation I had with Justin. I think the cone filters on these kits (k&n etc) have way oversized cones when a smaller one would do, a smaller one would have better clearance around it and be more efficient as air can easily flow around it.

GLPoomobile

Lord Fartington

I was going to reply yesterday but didn't, cos I was going to suggest Green filters, but they can take a while if they are out of stock (unless you go through independent dealers), or K&N (the obvious) but I couldn't get the K&N page to load yesterday. They list the entire range with all the dimensions so very handy. The Green ones are the twin cone ones, but seemingly you can only get the conical ones (as opposed to cylindrical) and in 50 or 55mm inlet sizes.

I don't think it's a good idea to drill out the top and mesh it! You'd surely be completely ruining the filtration effects of the original design! You'd have most of the air being rammed in through your home-brew job, which surely wont match the good qualities of the original filter element around the sides (either not filtering enough and letting small particles of dirt through, of filtering too heavily and restricting flow - although you could argue that that is still an improvement over no flow through the end!). I think you should either do it properly (proper twin cone filters) or not at all. Otherwise you may as well use some old tights!

Edited by GLPoomobile

kyepan

Would also advise keeping the filters intact especially if they are in any way pointing towards direct air flow from the outside of the car. It's surprising how very small particles can cause damage to the components in the engine, and outside air is full of s*it you don't want rattling around on the inside, especially the air hitting the front of the car, directly behind the car you'll probably be chasing down a 12 car rally. This can either increase the wear rate dramatically or lead to accelerated component failure.

A bit of ram will help things, but make sure you take this into account when mapping, as this won't be present when on the rollers.

J

DrSarty

I love you guys.

And I asked my mum for a pair of her old tights, and can't bring myself to take them off.

Hence £60 up the swanny on some shiny Dellortos that will no doubt stay intact, unmodified and shiny.

The air ramp cometh...and I'll still be in the old dear's tights - which is nice. :blink:

Batfink

you burning piles of poppies out there?? :)

Sign in to follow this