• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

Brakes Lights Have Stopped Working!

chrisj21

A bit of help needed please. I have done a search but cannot find any answers.

I have a p2 rear light conversion, Recently I've only had one brake light which i found to be the actual metal circuit board in the light housing which i fixed with some solder last week and all was well, but they have today both stopped working along with my stereo. Now I'm not saying both thing are connected but has this happened to anyone before? I need to use the car daily so need this sorting asap.

I have checked all the wiring at the rear and its all connected up,all fuses are ok and the headlights, indicators and rear lights all work, just the brake lights that don't.

What should i check next?

Thanks all.

Edited by chrisj21

grandos

Brake pedal switch?

Tommer

if the bulbs haven't blown in the clusters, check the brake pedal swich and maybe the fuse?

chrisj21

All fuses are fine and i have today replaced the pedal switch but still no joy.

grandos

Have you checked there is 12V at the brake light connection at the rear lamps (leave a brick or something heavy on the brake pedal otherwise you'll have to run really fast to see the signal).

If there is 12V then its either the earth, lamp unit or bulb at fault.

If there is NOT 12V then go back to the fuse board and check that you have twelve volts at the fuse.

If there is 12V at the fuse then you'll need a wiring diagram and check if there is 12V at the wire going to the back of the vehicle (brake light line)

If there is NOT 12V at the fuse then check the supply to this fuse, could be a relay or connection problem. (This is the most difficult one to find and fix.)

If you have 12V at the fuse but nothing at the line coming out of the fuse board, then this is likely to be an interenl fault within the fuse board and you'll probably need to locate another. (I have had this problem before with the rear side lights.)

Hope this all makes sense, if not just ask and I'll try and help further.

If you take your time and check each bit carefully it should be obvious which bit is not working.

I used the wiring diagrams from a Haynes manual.

craig f90

I had a similar issue a few years back.

The Earth from the gearbox to body had failed causing the stereo, lights and the wipers to come on and go off as they fancied. Im not sure if the fuse box melting a fuse into itself had anything to do with it? :blink:

The fuse box issue was due to a wire breaking on the rear lamp sending a live through the body.

Flipping car.

chrisj21

grandos- Excellent info thanks for that. Much appreciated

Craig f90- there flipping cars that we love though :blink:

I have a full day tomorrow to sort this now.

Chris

grandos

Any luck sorting or locating the fault?

Sign in to follow this