• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
paul_portsmouth

Engine Help

paul_portsmouth

i took the misses out and a poroblem i have had once before has reared its ugly head,

came onto a roundabout put more power down and it goes to stall ( already moving with the clutch up) it doesnt die sounds like it drops onto 2 cylinders

then i clutch in down shift it regains power and pulls hard up to second again and same problem clutch in again and it cut out,

then try to start it and not a saussage

30 sec try again starts and wont idle

30 sec try again starts get 10m up the road and a massive pop of flame cuts out again

(had a fiddle with the leads and dizzy)

left it a couple of min made a call for help then thought sod it and it started and ran fine ( put it in the nearest place i could leave it till a quiter time to drive it home)

last time it did this i found out it was the tacheometric relay under the dash but that is fine now im thinking igntion problems for some reason ???

any one have any clues?

Roman
i took the misses out and a poroblem i have had once before has reared its ugly head,

came onto a roundabout put more power down and it goes to stall ( already moving with the clutch up) it doesnt die sounds like it drops onto 2 cylinders

then i clutch in down shift it regains power and pulls hard up to second again and same problem clutch in again and it cut out,

then try to start it and not a saussage

30 sec try again starts and wont idle

30 sec try again starts get 10m up the road and a massive pop of flame cuts out again

(had a fiddle with the leads and dizzy)

left it a couple of min made a call for help then thought sod it and it started and ran fine ( put it in the nearest place i could leave it till a quiter time to drive it home)

last time it did this i found out it was the tacheometric relay under the dash but that is fine now im thinking igntion problems for some reason ???

any one have any clues?

mi bet on ignition coil and ignition amplifier or dizzy cap...

Edp
my bet on ignition coil and ignition amplifier or dizzy cap...

Not ruling out much then? :blush:

I had a problem with a 1.6 years ago which sounded like yours and it was the AFM playing up.

Needed re tracking and a good clean out. What car is it by the way?

paul_portsmouth

1.9 gti

it only seems to be when under load ie pulling away and shifting up quickly on a roundabout

1 - 2 k ok 2 - 3 lumpy 3k+ sounds like 2cly then goes to die cltch it lift clutch and it really wants to go but when it does there is a big smell of petrol almost like its flooding ( hence thinking its ignition related)

Veero

Another vote for ignition amp. 30 second swap if you have a known good one. Sounds very similar to the trouble with my Mi (which uses the same ignition amp as the 8v) when I first had it running.

paul_portsmouth

is that an intermitant fault?

Veero

The fact that you say you left it for a few minutes and it started fine makes me think it's the ignition amp. Exactly what mine was like. Swapped the amp and hey presto good as new.

paul_portsmouth

does that come with a new coil?

Veero

No but I suspect it's just the amp.

It should be a little blue thing screwed to a small aluminium plate around the area that the bonnet support arm bolts to the shell. It's got a 5/6 pin plug. When you replace it use the heat transfer compound that comes with it.

Anyone you know can maybe lend you a good amp?

paul_portsmouth

dont think so any ideas on a price for one?

Veero

From German Swedish and French car parts:

N92354 IGNITION MODULE-7 PIN 205 34.5

So £35. Best bet is to find a breakers and get one if you can find a 205 GTi/405 Mi16/Citroen BX. I'm sure lots of other cars used it.

I'm 99% sure that's your problem but I wouldn't rush straight out and spend £35 until you are sure that's it. Put a wanted ad up maybe, there must be some 205 bods in your area willing to lend you one for 10 seconds while you test it.

paul_portsmouth

wouldnt be a 10 sec test its a very intermitant problem

just it happened to get really bad at that point

Roman
wouldnt be a 10 sec test its a very intermitant problem

just it happened to get really bad at that point

i give you one for free but you not so local to me... :glare: (sorry bad yoke....)

Sign in to follow this