• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Kennyb

Steering Still A Bit 'light'

Kennyb

Hi guys

Ok recently changed both wishbones and changed n/s hub carrier to try and solve 'slight wandering/light steering' kind of feel

Both wheels are now solid on both side after grab and wiggle test and Tracking was done.......car now feels better BUT its still strange (non PAS by the way)

Hard trying to explain the feel of stuff but im still getting the same feeling as before in the steering, feels as though something is moving back and forth?????in regards to slight movment in the car as wheel feels light for a second then back again.

I dont get the car violently darting off in a wrong direction but the feeling in the steeringwheel changes back and forth (best i can explain)

What could cause this??? and how can I check

Subframe mounts

Rear beam mounts

ETC..maybe??????

hengti

does it alternate in feel as you're running the rack through its travel? could check that the lower column U/J isn't stiff in one of its planes of movement

munster

How are your tyres?

My crappy tyres gave me odd handling and steering feel.

hengti

too much wind in them will make them feel light; they're quite sensitive to tyre pressures and tracking but it sounds as though you've a mechanical problem if you're getting alternating feel

joey

i have this sort of problem also. I find it at lower speeds mainly!

have changed most of the suspension, wishbones track rod ends etc. etc.

my next guess is thats its my rack(non pas also)

Kennyb

Im probably thinking rack too

How do you check too see if its foobared???

Chris_Mi
Hard trying to explain the feel of stuff but im still getting the same feeling as before in the steering, feels as though something is moving back and forth?????in regards to slight movment in the car as wheel feels light for a second then back again.

I had/have a similar feeling in my car. I only use my Pug for road use and my steering is very very sensitive to alternations in road camber, dips etc. and gives a similar feel as you described. I found that inflating the tyre pressure to 31psi gave a much firmer feel, opposite to the suggestion above.

I also noticed that when I replaced a trackrod end with a genuine pug item a few months ago the 'light' steering feel that had become progressively worse with time was alleviated. Now steering is definately a lot stiffer with a firmer feel, if that makes sense? Before I replaced the trackrod end there was no noticable play in any of the bearings/wheel/obvious places etc.

Kennyb

I had new track rod ends put on about a year back??? but thats definatly the kind of feeling i get with respect to slight dips camber etc....:-(

Does anyone have any checks you can do for play in rack then??

Sign in to follow this