• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Moz_Goodwood

Exhaust Manifold

Moz_Goodwood

hiya all ive got a "unbreakable" exhaust manifold to fit to my 309 gti, but its got a fair bit of top rust and i want it all clean and tidy before it goes in the engine bay

was wandering what options i have and what it will cost me (shot blasting etc)

also afterwards id want to paint it and was wandering which paint could handle the temps

cheers

paul

welshpug

lol, didnt buy it off ebay did you? I saw one advertised as that and it has a section of the strengthening missing B)

its cast iron, so it'll always be that colour unless you paint it

projectpug

If it were me i would remove the surface rust in a few ways, wet/dry sanding dremel that sort of thing. Then a few coats of hightemp paint would do the trick it can be bought in loads of different colours too B). The more time you spend on the prep of the manifold though the betterthe finish.

jord294

i've had a couple shot blasted for my cars

as long as vht paint is applied before any dampness settles on it, it should last a very long time

Moz_Goodwood

;) @ welshpug, no mate ive had this kicking around the garage for a while now, but it was that advert that reminded me ive got it and the "unbreakable" tag made me chuckle

projectpug, the wet 'n' dry sounds good mate but im a lazy tw@t and was thinking along the lines of shot blasting or like some sort of acid dipping (not sure what the exact term is) which would help clean the inside aswell

Miles

Also worth getting the face, faced off as they are not very flat and the ports can eat away around the gasket area

GLPoomobile

I'm awaiting a tub of Bilt Hamber Deox C. Cost me just over a tenner. You stick a few scoops in water, put the rusty item in the solution, wait 24 hours, and it's supposed to come out good as new.

Sounds like s*ite, eh? But a guy who I work with says he stuck a rusty old downpipe in some Deox C and it worked a treat.

Moz_Goodwood

sounds interesting, where did you get your deox c from?

i take it most engineering places will skim the face of it

Sign in to follow this