• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Fitting Bonnet Gas Struts

Veero

Right Doug's got some 106 boot lid gas struts on his bonnet on the 309 and I'm sure someone had some on their 205.

I got the bits today but can't get it all to line up nicely without fouling something a sit all shuts.

Anyone done it before and have some tips?

Cheers

Veero

tom_m

ben had them on his 205 iirc. he had to trim some of the outer edge of the support brace to close the bonnet over them.

tom_m

Double post :D

Edited by tom_m

sonofsam
Right Doug's got some 106 boot lid gas struts on his bonnet on the 309 and I'm sure someone had some on their 205.

I got the bits today but can't get it all to line up nicely without fouling something a sit all shuts.

Anyone done it before and have some tips?

Cheers

Veero

I have the shorter 'Nova' lifters on my 205, but I had to cut a small part out of the bonnet brace to get it to close properly, as tom says!

Will grab a pic. in a minute if I can find one on my PC.

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...47343&st=30 See Hilgies post for picture :D

Edited by sonofsam

Veero

Ah nice one Sam, may have to go Nova hunting then. B)

I was under the impression they went straight on, looks like Ill be getting the hacksaw out tonight then :)

d-9

Hacksaw? call yourself a man?

GLPoomobile

What's the manly alternative? Using one's teeth? B):)

welshpug

9" angle grinder B)

sonofsam

From experience, I took the bonnet off to work on it and tool wise I used a hard disc cutter and a flapwheel in a drill to tidy up the edges with,

you have to be carefull not to cut to deep otherwise you will damage the flimsy bonnet skin underneath!

The chrome bling ones I have are the same as in Hilgies picture, aftermarket items off ebay meant for the front of a Nova I would of thought, but you still need

the 106/saxo boot ball studs to fit in the wing and bonnet of the 205.

welshpug

306 ones will fit as well I believe, so easy to get hold of :) £2.50 ish from Peugeot if you wish to be a tart and buy new B)

NeilGTi85

Any chance you could do a few pics and a description when you've done yours Veero?

I'm looking at doing the same, Will be going to my local scrappy tommorow to see what I can get hold off B)

Cheers

Neil

Veero

My grinder is at my folks in Southampton...

Any chance you could do a few pics and a description when you've done yours Veero?

I'm looking at doing the same, Will be going to my local scrappy tommorow to see what I can get hold off B)

Cheers

Neil

Sure can.

platty

Xsara has gas struts also, but the ball joints are not removeable. I'll check the rear hatch later.

d-9

Not a problem mate, Ive got lots of grinders. Maybe this is the excuse to buy the 12" petrol one I was thinking of getting...

Veero

Haha badass! B)

After looking through all these posts I might just get a set of those bo' wikid innit INXX ones, they looks very compact compared to the 106 ones which are mahoosive on the 205. I guess the 309 engine bay is longer so not such a problem, but on the 205 with one end bolted to the bonnet hinge the other end is way down the front near the washer bottle! With the ball nut fitted there and the strut in place I don't think the bonnet will shut properly, even with the brace cut to clear it.

sonofsam
Haha badass! B)

After looking through all these posts I might just get a set of those bo' wikid innit INXX ones, they looks very compact compared to the 106 ones which are mahoosive on the 205. I guess the 309 engine bay is longer so not such a problem, but on the 205 with one end bolted to the bonnet hinge the other end is way down the front near the washer bottle! With the ball nut fitted there and the strut in place I don't think the bonnet will shut properly, even with the brace cut to clear it.

Yes they are indeed, exactly the reason I went for the INXX ones as I offered up the 106 lifters and thought... erm no!

Still only using one lifter as I cannot be bothered to fit the other side :) holds up no problem at all though :D

Veero

Ahhh dammit, they turned up and I've offered them up and where they best sit on the wing there is no bolt anywhere near where the lifter sits. How come my 205 is so different from so many?!

It lines uo right where the shoulder for the suspension strut tower is so there's no room to drill through the wing flange to get a nut underneath. :huh:

sonofsam
Ahhh dammit, they turned up and I've offered them up and where they best sit on the wing there is no bolt anywhere near where the lifter sits. How come my 205 is so different from so many?!

It lines uo right where the shoulder for the suspension strut tower is so there's no room to drill through the wing flange to get a nut underneath. :huh:

That's a shame mate, I had to compress my strut some what to get it to match up with the bolt holes in the bonnet & wing.

http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b393/djs...nt=DVC01551.jpg

Veero

Edit: Scrap that retarded comment. :)

Edited by Veero

Sign in to follow this