• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest jay205

Beam Failed - Is It Safe?

Guest jay205

Hi guys..

Bit of advice really.. My beam has definatley failed, got bad camber on the n/s & the tyre is rubbing on the inside of the wheel arch a bit.. also the squeaking sounds horrific ;)

Ive got her booked in for a recon beam+grp n mounts etc but not until November 4th

Just wondered if it was safe to drive around with it like this for a few weeks? Has a beam ever collapsed or anything due to failure?

Ive been taking my time, just a bit worrying hearing the nasty sqeaking & tyre rubbing.

I have dona a search but couldnt see anything specific about beam's failing..

Great forum btw :)

Cheers

Jay.

Anthony

If it's got so bad that the tire is rubbing on the inner arch then I wouldn't say that it's safe.

1 FAT PUG

i drove my old pug round for a while when my beam was shafted just put a wheelspacer on to clear the inner arch till i could get one

Guest jay205

Thanks lads, bloody beams!

It sounds like its getting worse so probably wont risk it just in case, the spacers not a bad idea though

Looks like ill be tapping a few people up for lifts for the next few weeks

welshpug

not safe at all IMO, especially if the tyre rubs.

you'll wear the inned edge of the tread away by having that much camber, let alone wearing through the sidewall because its rubbing.

also leads to very unpredictable handling, the back end tends to move around unexpectedly.

Rob Thomson

When I bought my 309 one of the back wheels rubbed on the wheel-arch. This was back in 1999 or thereabouts before I'd discovered internet forums and realised that the beam was probably f*cked.

Anyway, that rubbing resulted in a weakened tyre which resulted in a mid-corner blow out, and that resulted in me driving through a wood backwards at 70mph. Not a lot of fun.

SurGie

Dont risk it, my old 205 gti rear beam had no camber yet on a bend going around 20mph,

quite slow for the type of bend and axle collapsed and wrote the car off, was very lucky there

was no other cars on other side of road at the time. :);)

Guest jay205
Dont risk it, my old 205 gti rear beam had no camber yet on a bend going around 20mph,

quite slow for the type of bend and axle collapsed and wrote the car off, was very lucky there

was no other cars on other side of road at the time. ;):(

Wish i hadnt read that before the journey home! :D

She's off the road as from tonight

Sign in to follow this