• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simon B

Gearbox Ratios (how To Check)

Simon B

Ok, I had been running what i believed to be an Mi16 gearbox in my 205 Mi16.

It was a lot shorter than my brothers car with a 1.9 box in, but longer than his when he swapped to a 1.6box, so the assumption was Mi16 box!

Anyways, i wanted to check what box i actually have..... so i removed the diff cover and found I have a 1.9 final drive fitted.

Is there any straight forward way to check what gear ratios are in the rest of the box? Im sure its not a 1.9 box, so possibly either Mi16 or 1.6. (I know there are others but these are most likely i imagine)

Any suggestions welcome!!!!!!!!

Thanks alot,

Nigel B

Sandy

Whizzing off the diff cover (out of the car) lets you view the crownwheel, which has the FDR in teeth marked on it.

The other method I use when I want to be super sure, is either to locate the code ( eg 20TB60 or a similar group of number, number, letter, letter, number, number) and find it on servicebox, or the Peugeot manuals if you have access to them. Or:

Whip out the speedo drive, mark the cog inside against the casing, so you have a reference point. Gently clip some mole grips on the input shaft. Select second (which is always 1.85-1.87:1) and count the turns at the input shaft required for one rev of the speedo cog. Divide that by 1.86 and you have a fairly accurate final drive ratio figure! With that knowledge, you can repeat the process for the other gears, dividing them by the FDR in turn to get the gear ratios.

Edited by Sandy

Simon B
Whizzing off the diff cover (out of the car) lets you view the crownwheel, which has the FDR in teeth marked on it.

The other method I use when I want to be super sure, is either to locate the code ( eg 20TB60 or a similar group of number, number, letter, letter, number, number) and find it on servicebox, or the Peugeot manuals if you have access to them. Or:

Whip out the speedo drive, mark the cog inside against the casing, so you have a reference point. Gently clip some mole grips on the input shaft. Select second (which is always 1.85-1.87:1) and count the turns at the input shaft required for one rev of the speedo cog. Divide that by 1.86 and you have a fairly accurate final drive ratio figure! With that knowledge, you can repeat the process for the other gears, dividing them by the FDR in turn to get the gear ratios.

Hi Sandy!

Thanks very much for your reply! Just what i needed to know.....

Maybe you can help me some more now though? I have removed the diff cover, and marked one of the teeth on the crownwheel with tipp-ex. I have then selected all the gears i can find (tried looking for more than 5 forward and 1 reverse, but no joy!), and counted the number of turns i had to make on the input shaft to get the marked tooth to return to its start position, and got the following results.....

Final Drive Ratio of 3.68:1 (1.9GTi)

1st gear........7 turns.................. ratio approx 1.90

2nd gear.......6.5 - 6.75 turns...... ratio approx 1.77 - 1.84

3rd gear........5 turns.................. ratio approx 1.36

4th gear........3.9 turns................ ratio approx 1.06

5th gear........ 3.2 turns............... ratio approx 0.88

Reverse......... 12.5 turns............. ratio approx 3.39

3rd, 4th and 5th all seem about right for either 1.9 or 1.6 GTi box.

Im confused by my 1st and 2nd results though. The 1st gear ratio is what i would expect for second...........

Any thoughts on this?

I have checked and re-checked the number of turns on all the gears, but it does make me wonder if i still havent actually found 1st gear in the box yet?

With the box out of the car and on a bench, how do i know where i should be finding 1st gear??

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!

Simon B

BTTT for Sandy! :rolleyes:

Sandy

Hi!

You need to check first again I think, second might just be a reading error. If it's a 1.9 box, first would be 2.92, about 11 turns.

Simon B

Ok, more help needed!

I just CANT find 1st gear with the gearbox out of the car!

I dont have a 205 anymore so i cant check where i should be moving the selector arms to locate 1st......

I really really could do with some kind person to look in their 205 engine bay and tell me where i need to move the arms in order to get 1st????

HELP!!!! Anybody :rolleyes: (Sandy??)

Simon B

BTTT!

Somebody must be able to help? ;)

Simon B

Anybody?????? :)

Sandy

Selector problem perhaps?

Simon B

Possible i suppose!

I wouldnt have thought so though as the box was perfect in the car - its only just been re-built and was sweet as a nut!

Im sure its just me somehow now managing to put it in 1st gear, but im buggered if i can find it LOL

I could really do with someone telling me where the arms are when in 1st gear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im sure there is some kind person on here with a 205 who can tell me?

welshpug

opposite reverse? turn the input shaft, if the diff still turns the right way you've got 1st :)

Sandy

I'll struggle to explain without pictures, that's the trouble.

Simon B

Cheers Welshpug!

Sandy - please try mate! Sorry!

Sandy

Ok then (cracks knuckles).....

If it's BE3 and you're stood at the 5th gear end of the box, the end with the pressed steel cover, pull the bent rod lever towards you fully and hold it there, then pull the plate lever towards you too.

Simon B

Thanks Sandy!!!!! :):D:D

How about if its BE1 though (sorry! Should have said that) ????????

I played with it a bit more this afternoon, and still no joy B)

welshpug

same again, though if the reverse detent cable is not fitted you'll find reverse :) if it goes into gear, move it in a straight line back across and you should find 2nd.

Simon B

Sandy / Welshpug.......

Ok, i tried as you suggested - moved both levers towards me (5th gear end of the box). Essentially i was doing the job of the lift up reverse mechanism i assume (pulling one of the levers moved the other lever arm into (or out of, forgotton already) the box and then pulling that arm meant i hit Reverse gear!)

With me leaving the '1st' lever alone, the 2nd lever gives me 3 gears (i believe 2nd 3rd and 4th).

If i play with the '2nd' lever (gear selector lever) by lifting it up / pushing it into the box, i can easily find reverse, and also easily find 5th gear.

I just cant find 1st!!!

More help needed guys! I really appreciate your efforts............ :rolleyes:

Sandy

Soundslike BE1 then, which means first is near reverse!

Simon B

I just re-read my previous posts on this thread, and i apologise!!

My box is BE1 indeed....

How near reverse should it be? LOL

Sandy

You might be able to lock out reverse by poking something down the cable hole.

Simon B

Woohoo!!!

I found 1st gear at last! Now i know where it is, its a piece of cake to find it :D

I have now checked all gears and i have a complete 1.9 box ;)

Cheers guys for your help :D

Sandy

Phew LoL

RINRIN

Does anybody know the number of teeths for 1.9GTI on pinion and crown wheel on final drive?

Simon B

59 teeth on crown wheel for a 1.9 Final Drive.....

Should have 59 x 16 stamped on it somewhere.

RINRIN

Thanks mate

59 / 16 = 3,6875 (GTI 1,9)

65 / 16 = 4,0625 (GTI 1,6)

62 / 14 = 4,4285 (MI16)

Sign in to follow this