• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alfie

Another Oil Pressure Gauge That Refuses To Work.

Alfie

Hi everyone ,this is my first post :) Just bought a nice GTI but the oil pressure gauge won't work. I've fitted a new oil pressure switch to no avail. On turning on the ignition, the gauge reads all way over to the right. start the car and it drops to zero. take the lead off the pressure terminal and nowt happens. I've looked out for that dreaded multi block 'lecky terminal below the inlet!.. it ain't there! any one got any ideas please? Oh by the way. Howdy. ;)

welshpug

you've got the spade terminals on the wrong sensors!

Alfie

:blush:

you've got the spade terminals on the wrong sensors!

Welshpug, Your a gem. This must have been done in service that was completed before I bought it lol. 30 seconds and alls well Thanks ;)

welshpug

yay!

Alfie
yay!

;) Hey welshpug, Just did a run round local in the car. These oil pressure gauges er, ok. lots of fluctuations. Reads 3/4s mostly but seems to have a mind of its own! is this "normal"?

welshpug

it will move around dependent on revs and temperature of the oil, but it shouldn't flicker.

check that the spade is secure on the sender and that the oil level is topped up.

Alfie
it will move around dependent on revs and temperature of the oil, but it shouldn't flicker.

check that the spade is secure on the sender and that the oil level is topped up.

Yeh, I'll have good look round tomorrow. I'm pleased that it works now though, thanks for the advice chap.

Grim.Badger

They are VERY sensitive to corroded or old wires, mine used to flicker until I replaced the wire from the sensor (big fat one, usually white) all the way to the dash. BTW there are two sensors, one works the pressure guage, the other works the stop light if the oil pressure is too low.

Alfie
They are VERY sensitive to corroded or old wires, mine used to flicker until I replaced the wire from the sensor (big fat one, usually white) all the way to the dash. BTW there are two sensors, one works the pressure guage, the other works the stop light if the oil pressure is too low.

I can confirm what you say grim.badger, It turns out that both spade connectors needed renewing. When stripped back, the wire looked dirty but a touch of flux and a dab of solder fixed that before new spade fittings were added. All working ok now!

RAF_gti

rather than starting a new thread...

can you tell me where the sewnsor is located as mine has now stopped working..arse!

GLPoomobile

Front of engine block, between the oil filter and starter motor. Small one on the left (next to filter) is the switch for the warning light. Fat (mushroom shaped) on to the right of the switch is the sender for the gauge.

Baz

Just earth the connector to the block or something to see 1. which gauge it is, 2. whether it or the wiring actually works, determining where your problem is.

RAF_gti

I've had another look today and the 'mushroom' appears to be missing the connector in the front, that will explain why it is not working! Are they simply screwed into the block?

Also, where is the sensor for the oil temp located? Might as well change that again soon!

thanks

M@tt

yep they are simply screwed into the block. You might nedd a pair of mole grips on it to get it undone though,also make sure you fit a new crush washer when you replace it otherwise your likely to find it leaks.

Oil temp senser is in the sump on the back at the bottom.

HTH

Edited by M@tt

GLPoomobile

My oil pressure sensor recently lost it's spade 'tab' from the front. I'd had problems with the gauge flickering up and down last year, and knew the spade terminal on the wire was quite loose fitting on the spade tab on the sensor. When I made my new loom I obviously had new wiring and terminals to all the sensors, and I gave the tab on the pressure sensor a good clean up before I connected everything, and it was fine.

But while trying to reconnect oil filler hose I had my arm under the inlet manifold and must have pulled on the wiring, and the bloody pressure gauge tab snapped off the sensor :) . I suspect the tab must have already been on the brink of snapping (hence the flickering gauge) and I just didn't spot it when cleaning it up.

Anyway, rather than replace the sensor, I soldered a length of wire (about 3 or 4 inches long) directly on to the sensor where the tab snapped off (there is a rivet left in place) and crimped a male terminal to the end of the wire, then I linked up my loom wire (which has a female blade on it) to this. Works fine now.

jackherer
I soldered a length of wire (about 3 or 4 inches long) directly on to the sensor where the tab snapped off (there is a rivet left in place) and crimped a male terminal to the end of the wire, then I linked up my loom wire (which has a female blade on it) to this. Works fine now.

Thats exactly what happened to mine when I did my first Mi16 swap in 2001, the soldered on wire and spade connector are still fine seven years later, the fix easily outlasted the mi's bottom end :)

Sign in to follow this