• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey sprocket

Water Pipes To Oil Cooler Bypassed

davey sprocket

The two pipes that run down to the unit behind the filter housing (which I'm assuming is a water to oil cooler?) are disconnected from the housing and connected to each other!?

Its a 1.9 with power steering if that helps identify it!?

I'll get a photo tomorrow if that helps.

trialster
The two pipes that run down to the unit behind the filter housing (which I'm assuming is a water to oil cooler?) are disconnected from the housing and connected to each other!?

Its a 1.9 with power steering if that helps identify it!?

I'll get a photo tomorrow if that helps.

maybe the unit is faulty and was making the oil and water mix up. have they plugged the ends where the water hoses were taken off?

davey sprocket
maybe the unit is faulty and was making the oil and water mix up. have they plugged the ends where the water hoses were taken off?

Yeah, maybe there's a problem with the unit, didn't think there'd be much to go wrong with one tbh. Makes me a bit reluctant to put the pipes back on!

Don't think the inlet/ outlet have been plugged, no. Suppose this could have lead to corrosion inside??

What is the cooler there for?? (apart from the obvious ;) ) My last 205 GTI was a 1.6 and didn't have an oil cooler like that.

trialster

i've recently found out that it isn't a cooler atall, it's to transfer heat from the coolant to the oil on startup to bring the oil upto temp quicker.

on my 205 diesel, there was a similar (by function) piece of kit fitted, except that it used coolant to warm up the diesel before it got to the fuel pump. by bypassing this unit i rectified the problem it had, which was sucking air into the fuel!!

hope this helps

DamirGTI

Yes this coolant circulation system trough the oil filter housing is designed in order to cool down the oil a bit (although im not convinced in efficiently of this setup .. me thinks that it's pretty useless ..) ..

No harm done if the bypass pipes are connected together , presumably the housing O ring seals where leaky so they connected the pipes together to prevent coolant leaking from the housing joints .. anyway , i've had a leak from the lower bypass pipes (on the area where they flex on the side) so i replaced this complete top coolant/radiator pipe with std. ordinary radiator pipe without this additional coolant bypass pipes ..

Rgs ! ;)

Damir

Baz

It's a heat exchanger. And probably stopped being used because the water pipes to feed it are much more expensive to replace than the ones without?

DamirGTI

More to that you can't replace them separately ;) complete top radiator pipe must be replaced as a unit ... as far as im aware all PAS (and Air con possibly) equipped cars have this system because there wasn't enough space for mounting the oil filter on the usual place on the block , or still if ti was possible , filter changes might be very hard because of the restricted access .. so they moved the oil filter on the side of the engine ..

Damir :)

KRISKARRERA

I've had mine by-passed since 2004. No noticable difference to either water or oil temperatures. Actually there's several pieces of useless junk on these engines that can be ditched and make no difference to the running.

philfingers

mine was bypassed on my old road rally car. The spigot on the cooler had snapped off in the end i welded a new one on and used it. Noticeably lower oil temps and slightly higher water temps. The Specific Heat Capacity of water is a lot higher than oil (factor of 6 from memory) so water temps should change too much. And yes as some folk have siad it helps to get the oil up to telp quicker first thing too

davey sprocket

Well, I didn't get chance to get out on the car this evening but I've just been going through the history I have with the car (previous owner, lady, had it for 16 of its 18years)

I've found an advisory note on the bottom of a service from Sept 1999 which says "advise oil cooler leaking coolant"

So it wouldn't surprise me if these pipes were disconnected around that time!

Its done 37000 miles since then!!

Doesn't seem to be one of the cars more vital lifelines does it?

I have taken on board what some have suggested though, about heat transfer and so on, thanks guys.

I may well reconnect them at some stage and see what happens, there's obviously not an oil to water leak or else oil would be leaking out of the unplugged pipes?

grandos

Not to teach you all to suck eggs but its a heat exchanger and is all to do with the efficiency of the engine as much as oil and water temps, basically it uses the coolant to heat the oil up to temp quick for increased thermal efficency of the engine and then at high engine temps it uses the coolant to cool the oil helping to maintain the engines efficency. (Better combustion process if the engine temp is kept at the ideal temp).

CosKev
Not to teach you all to suck eggs but its a heat exchanger and is all to do with the efficiency of the engine as much as oil and water temps, basically it uses the coolant to heat the oil up to temp quick for increased thermal efficency of the engine and then at high engine temps it uses the coolant to cool the oil helping to maintain the engines efficency. (Better combustion process if the engine temp is kept at the ideal temp).

Its allready been stated its a heat exchanger,thanks egg sucker!!!!!! :P

:lol:

pug_ham

If its mounted behind the oil filter then your engine possibly isn't an original 205 engine but more likely one from a 309.

The 205's with PAS that had a water oil heat exchanger had a different set up which relocated the oil filter so it was in front of the gearbox, I find this possibly means it takes longer for my oil to get warm though, if the exchanger is block mounted it is heated to the block as it warms which would make it quicker to warm the oil imo.

Graham.

Dave G

whats the down side to by passing the fuel heater on a diesel engine

pug_ham

Witht the advance's made in diesel viscosity since they were more common place in lots of diesels propbably not much in the UK but in cold climates they help keep the fuel wamrmed so it flows better. (Also handy if you decided to fit a bosch pump & run your car on veggie oil as it thins that in the same way)

Why are you thinking of removing it?

Graham.

Dave G

well might isolate it and test it on the hill im having the trouble on before i rebuild the primer just incase

Simsy

I also found mine disconnected today. I really want to get it connected again, but i'm wondering why it was disconnected in the first place, surely if there was a water/oil leak then the oil would be leaking still?

Edited by Simsy

davey sprocket
I also found mine disconnected today. I really want to get it connected again, but i'm wondering why it was disconnected in the first place, surely if there was a water/oil leak then the oil would be leaking still?

Yeah, I twigged that with mine.

Mine should be back on the road this weekend (if insurance docs come thru' and I can tax it!), at some stage I'll reconnect the water pipes and see what the score is.

I did find a reference in the service history from some years ago of a water leak from the oil cooler, so I guess that's what caused some one to by-pass it. I can only think there must be a hole in the water pipe or the casing there somewhere.

Its obviously been used like this for some years, so I don't see it as too critical!

Simsy
Yeah, I twigged that with mine.

Mine should be back on the road this weekend (if insurance docs come thru' and I can tax it!), at some stage I'll reconnect the water pipes and see what the score is.

I did find a reference in the service history from some years ago of a water leak from the oil cooler, so I guess that's what caused some one to by-pass it. I can only think there must be a hole in the water pipe or the casing there somewhere.

Its obviously been used like this for some years, so I don't see it as too critical!

I don't like the way the oil has to run out the engine and into the filter then back in this weather. It takes ages to warm up and the oil pressure rise takes a few seconds too.

I might just bosh it on the block for now and source a new cooler.

Anyone know what parts are required to put it straight onto the block!?

Simsy
Anyone know what parts are required to put it straight onto the block!?

No one? I'd quite like to do this today but i don't want to go disturbing stuff to find out i can't do it then putting it back and oil leaking from various places! ;)

A quick look at servicebox shows the part numbers for the fitting on the block are the same, so i guess if i remove filter body on mine i can bang the filter straight on the block?

Then i can test the cooler for leaks and source and fit another. In this weather, its not going to need be an issue to do what i'm planning and it'll help with cold start warm up times B)

Edited by Simsy

Simsy

Saw that one earlier (i've been searching but haven't found an exact method). That only covers modifying the GTi6 cooler to use an external air/oil cooler aswell.

I think i'll just try and bang the filter to the block and fingers crossed it all comes and apart and fits spot on B)

richsmells

If you read futher down, Miles mentions the Alloy block has the thread insert. You should be alright.

Simsy
If you read futher down, Miles mentions the Alloy block has the thread insert. You should be alright.

Yeah, just spotted it after i'd replied! :lol:

The part number is the same as the screw in the remote cooler, so i can just bang it on there no probs :)

Sign in to follow this