• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RAF_gti

Brown Plug And Starting Woes

RAF_gti

Forgive me for repeating an often mentioned subject but search did not entirely answer my question.

My car won't start, on turning the key the lights go out but nothing happens. Coming from the engine bay is a whining sound, when sat in car I assumed it was from fuel pump but it is coming from the front.

Today I re-did the connections between coil, starter and barrel but still no joy ^_^

Is the brown plug I often see mentioned the one below the AF meter? It looks pretty s*itty but not horrendous, if it is I will try and clean it up tomorrow.

Inside, from the big plug that comes from the barrel there is a baby blue wire which has been spliced into, one appears to go to the coil and the other (the added wire) goes to the starter motor with (yet) another loop also appearing to goto the brown plug, is this correct or a previous owner bodge?

thanks!

Steve

Tom Fenton

Brown plug is below the AFM yes, if you want my advise don't bother trying to clean it, as it is a fruitless exercise. Instead cut the bugger out and solder the wires directly together. This is what I did on my own car, hasn't failed to start once (click,click,click etc) since then.

RAF_gti
Brown plug is below the AFM yes, if you want my advise don't bother trying to clean it, as it is a fruitless exercise. Instead cut the bugger out and solder the wires directly together. This is what I did on my own car, hasn't failed to start once (click,click,click etc) since then.

Ah piss!

Going to be a fun filled weekend for me then :)

thanks

Grim.Badger

I replaced the entire sub-loom from under the dash to the sensors etc and still occassionally get it refusing to start, I presume I also have a problem with the ignition barrel.

Try putting an entirely new wire from under the dash to the starter and see if that helps.

Edited by Grim.Badger

RAF_gti

Any idea why I've got a loop from under the dash to both the brown plug and starter and also a loop from the starter to the brown plug?

Sorry if that is a crap explanation but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. By and large the wiring seems to be standard with the exeption of one or two bodges.

Grim.Badger
Any idea why I've got a loop from under the dash to both the brown plug and starter and also a loop from the starter to the brown plug?

Sorry if that is a crap explanation but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me. By and large the wiring seems to be standard with the exeption of one or two bodges.

Eh? Do you mean you have two wires running to the starter? If so it seems likely that someone has tried to fix the problem before.

RAF_gti

There is the multi-plug under the dash, from this there is a baby blue wire which as far as I can see runs to the brown multi plug. Tapped into the baby blue wire is an obvious add on wire which runs directly to the starter, this wire also loops off again to what I can see is back to the brown plug. I hope that explanation makes sense!

perry318888

forgive me if im pointing out the obvious but...

the whining sound you mention... it could be the starter motor spinning but not engaging on the flywheel?

the lights would go out on the dash and it would spin (and whine) but not turn over the engine.

RAF_gti

How would I prove that?

TBH I want to get to the root of the wiring before taking the starter out.

Would the whining sound very similar to a fuel pump priming?

Anteas

may be theres the remants of an alam i removed 1 of those on my stdt black box conncted to wires wich were in middle of were ignition barell wirs join main ecu wires hope this helps

Grim.Badger
There is the multi-plug under the dash, from this there is a baby blue wire which as far as I can see runs to the brown multi plug. Tapped into the baby blue wire is an obvious add on wire which runs directly to the starter, this wire also loops off again to what I can see is back to the brown plug. I hope that explanation makes sense!

In that case cut the wire under the dash and put a new one in all the way to the starter and ignore the brown multiplug under the AFM. If that doesn't work try running a wire directly from the battery to the starter, if that works rig up a fuse (I use 16a I think) and switch on the wire as its likely that you either have a problem with your ignition barrel or the starter is fussy and needs a direct feed.

It should be obvious if the fuel pump is the source of the whining as it will make a noise even without you turning the key past the second position (if that makes sense)

Edited by Grim.Badger

RAF_gti

Well I tool the starting feed and still no joy, nothing but a click-click-clickity click so I guess the starter is furry cheese. Whining noise is still apparent, would be interested to know what that is.

Whilst I have engine bay in bits I will make a serious attempt to clean the earths up, redo the brown plug and hopefully figure out how the previous guy wired the bloody thing up!

thanks

Steve

*off to start a thread on how to remove inlet*

Sign in to follow this