• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bill

4.5k Flatspot?

bill

my car seems to have developed an occasional flatspot around 4.5k, doesn't seem to do it all the time, difficult to tell, without canning it round everywhere and looking like a right tool ^_^ anyone got any ideas on what it could be and more importantly who to fix it?

mi16 on carbs by the way

cheers

jackherer

Ignition amp probably, do a search and you'll read about changing the heatsink paste which might solve it for you, otherwise a new amp will.

bill
Ignition amp probably, do a search and you'll read about changing the heatsink paste which might solve it for you, otherwise a new amp will.

Done a search and i'm none the wiser to be honest, i know your saying it could be the ignition amp, but thats double dutch to me mate, and also from what i've found, are they different on a 1.6 and a 1.9? my cars a 1.6 originally, so will it still have a 1.6 amp, or is this something that will/could have been changed? or am i just wittering a load of old bollocks now?!

And is it easy to locate and fix/renew?

jackherer

Its VERY easy to locate and replace ;)

Assuming its running the original ignition system the ignition amp is an approx. 1"x2" blue chip on an alloy heatsink plate, usually mounted on the passenger side inner wing.

It looks like this but will probably be blue not grey:

ignition_amp.jpg

If you unscrew it from the metal heatsink plate you'll find some thermal transfer paste on the back of it, clean all this off and apply new paste then put the amp back on. The paste is used on PCs so a computer supplier will have it and motor factors usually stock it too these days. If that doesn't solve it try a new amp.

McDude

...and get a genuine Bosch one. The pattern ones are known to fail in just the way described.

BTW I think my one is black with white writing.

Sandy

Which exhaust manifold?

munster

Sounds like ignition amp. Thats what solved my mis at about 4,000rpm.

Very easy to find, as jackherer said.

bill
Its VERY easy to locate and replace :rolleyes:

Assuming its running the original ignition system the ignition amp is an approx. 1"x2" blue chip on an alloy heatsink plate, usually mounted on the passenger side inner wing.

It looks like this but will probably be blue not grey:

ignition_amp.jpg

If you unscrew it from the metal heatsink plate you'll find some thermal transfer paste on the back of it, clean all this off and apply new paste then put the amp back on. The paste is used on PCs so a computer supplier will have it and motor factors usually stock it too these days. If that doesn't solve it try a new amp.

Wow! :o there be no need for a haynes manual then, not had chance to have a go at changing it yet, its my second car, so its not vital at the minute, but i'll have a look at it a lot sooner now you've given me a detailed guide on what i'm doing, much appreciated mate B)

I'll try the new paste and failing that, i'll get a new one like you say, cheers for the pics and info!

i'll keep it posted on how i get on lol

bill
Which exhaust manifold?

Know idea mate? should i be able to tell by looking at it? cant see it being that as it never used to do it, just started recently, and its a bit hit and miss to be honest

Sign in to follow this