• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
chrisj21

Coolant Type

chrisj21

Going to change the radiator this week and i was just wondering what coolant people use in a standard 1.9? Just a antifreeze/water mix at the minute but is this ok? I've heard you can get coolant designed for alloy engines.

Thanks

pug_ham

I used whatever decent coolant they have in stock at my local motor factors when I need some. IIRC I've got vauxhall stuff in it now on a 50/50 mix but previously I've used, Comma, Bluecol, Ford...

I thought all unversal summer coolant & winter anitfreeze was suitable for alloy engines now? Only when alloy engines were rare was there an issue but not for ages now.

Graham.

SurGie

Hi, there is a coolent liquid additive to antifreez + water mix from hiflowheads which

makes the engine that bit cooler, good for fast road use in summer etc.

shalmaneser
Hi, there is a coolent liquid additive to antifreez + water mix from hiflowheads which

makes the engine that bit cooler, good for fast road use in summer etc.

Is that water wetter type stuff? Does that actually make any difference?

SurGie

Yeh i think so, not used it yet though, i imagine it will make the water mix more fluid so

it goes round engine quicker.

C_W

The is some "OAT" type anti freeze around - it tends to be red - don't use that.

• Like 1

chrisj21

Graham, The reason i asked regarding alloy engine only coolant is because my P38 Range rover v8 when serviced always has a certain coolant to stop corrosion in the heads. According to land rover anyway. But i'll just nip down to the motor factors tomorrow and see what they have in.

Thanks all for the advice.

Chris

Peetypug

i use the stuff we put in our diggers

its 50/50 as well

edit: sorry :lol: doesn't really help at all does it ^_^

Edited by sorrentopete

welshpug

Its an Ethylene Glycol based stuff that's reccomended in the haynes manuals.

In fact, I have a bottle of Citroen/Peugeot Antigel Antifreeze here, says ethylene glycol on the side ;)

cost me £4 from Neat Auto's for a Litre.

Tom Fenton
Yeh i think so, not used it yet though, i imagine it will make the water mix more fluid so

it goes round engine quicker.

Not being funny but if you don't know how it works why just guess? All that does is spreads misinformation. It is nothing at all to do with the speed of the coolant going round the engine, thats just tosh to be quite honest.

The actual purpose of "water wetter" or similar is to reduce the surface tension of the coolant, this allows it to better contact the walls of the water jacket (talking on a molecular scale here) and hence the improved contact allows for improved heat conduction from the head/block to the coolant.

SurGie

Exactly what i was trying to say, it flows better.

Its not ! I did say "I IMAGINE" please read next time... ;)

S13Nick

i kno i shouldent but i just use water :S lol

GLPoomobile
Exactly what i was trying to say, it flows better.

Its not ! I did say "I IMAGINE" please read next time... ;)

But Tom is not saying it "flows better" (we are talking a water/coolant mix here, not custard! You'd be hard pressed to get it to flow much better than it already does!), Tom is saying that it's ability to transfer the heat is much better.

As for coolant type, I just filled my system up with a 33% mix of Comma stuff, and that one did mention use in alloy engines on the back.

Sign in to follow this