• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
autograsser

Newbie Q's

autograsser

high peeps sorry if this is in the wrong section!!

im gonna be building a autograss stock hatch for the missus its gotta be a a max of 1.6 i tussled with a few options mainy nova's as i run a different class in a nova, but have chosen a 1.6gti seems far superior to the gsi B)

so my questions are!!

firstly which engine is the 1.6 gti xu or tu :lol:

is there a way to identify the egine of a 1.6 gti (bare blocks) from a standard pug 1.6 carb engine??

any particular 1.6 gti engine better than others?? i.e early/late

what g/box do people think are best for oval racing i'll only be using 1st and second!!

also im thinking of changing it from injection to carb (ease of trackside repair) what are peoples thoughts it will only be a standard carb im not aloud fancy things like twin 40's

j_turnell

The 1.6 is an xu engine xu5ja for the post 88 engine, base models such as the XS had the tu series. The early engine had 105bhp the later 115bhp, i'd look for a post 91 engine as the cams dont seem to wear as much as the earlier engines, although obv these can be swapped over. They all came with injection as standard, none with a single carb so i would stick with that tbh, its a fairly simple jetronic system. You can put twin 40's on it but would ideally need other mods to see decent gains. Gearbox's, theres a few options but if its acceleration your looking for then i'd stick with the 1.6 box. Have a sift through old posts they should answer most your questions.

Edited by j_turnell

autograsser

is there anyway of identify between the 105 and the 115??? were are all the engine codes located?

so what carbs did the come with as standard im pretty familar with the jetronic from my vw stuff so thats no probs.

do you not rate a diesel box??

The 1.6 is an xu engine xu5ja for the post 88 engine, base models such as the XS had the tu series. The early engine had 105bhp the later 115bhp, i'd look for a post 91 engine as the cams dont seem to wear as much as the earlier engines, although obv these can be swapped over. They all came with injection as standard, none with a single carb so i would stick with that tbh, its a fairly simple jetronic system. You can put twin 40's on it but would ideally need other mods to see decent gains. Gearbox's, theres a few options but if its acceleration your looking for then i'd stick with the 1.6 box. Have a sift through old posts they should answer most your questions.

pug_ham

The engine code is usually on a small silver tag on the top of the block by the upper r/h engine mount but they have been known to fall off leaving you with no indication of what engine is fitted.

The 105bhp engine was only fitted until June 1986 officially but I'm sure Miles said he had one earlier than this with one fitted (March 86 iirc). An easy (but not concrete) way to tell is if the car has wing side repeaters.

The code on the tag for the 105bhp engine is 180A but for the 115bhp either B6D or B6E.

No 205 Gti came with carbs fitted so any you use will be an aftermarket fitment for which you'll need a suitable inlet manifold.

The diesel gearbox will give a lower gearing in first thru third but mega long ratio's in fourth & fifth. Best boxr is either the Mi or a 1.6/9 with the Mi 4.4 final drive fitted.

Graham.

Miles

Easy way to tell a early engine is the lack of a cam cover breather take off, TB also has no breather take off's but to find one of those now you would have to be very unlucky.

The 115 engine's started in April 1986 as thats when one of my old ones was registered, as said had a flat face dash, Side repeater's, Different stalks and gear knob to name a few

soap.mactavish

motorbike carbs can be got hold of prity cheap. the manifold is not that hard to make yourself if you used rubber inlet tubes like most bikes do.

I`m not saying to cheat or anything ^_^ but the 1.6 and 1.9 are very hard to tell apart , infact (afaik) its only the crankshaft + rods.

so unless a volume test was done they would never know.

I do not condone cheating of any type............ unless it get me the win.......................and lets face it wining is wining :lol:

richsmells

Isn't the XU5 also in early automatic base models. (Hence the auto bonnet bulge to fit the carb.) Head/cam and inlet obviously different. Those would be sloooooow.

I`m not saying to cheat or anything wink.gif but the 1.6 and 1.9 are very hard to tell apart , infact (afaik) its only the crankshaft + rods.

Injectors, sump spacer, oil/water heat exchanger takeoff. All changeable though ^_^

Edited by richsmells

autograsser

at the mo im looking at getting a 1.6 gti engine and fitting a manifold/carb off a 1.6 auto engine and just blanking off the injection ports

pug_ham
Isn't the XU5 also in early automatic base models. (Hence the auto bonnet bulge to fit the carb.) Head/cam and inlet obviously different. Those would be sloooooow.

The XU5 is fitted in all 1.6 automatics, either on a single Solex carb or single point injection.

TBH the 1.6 injection auto isn't as slow as you might expect, at least my mums one doesn't feel to be & gets up to 80mph quick enough.

Graham.

richsmells
The XU5 is fitted in all 1.6 automatics, either on a single Solex carb or single point injection.

TBH the 1.6 injection auto isn't as slow as you might expect, at least my mums one doesn't feel to be & gets up to 80mph quick enough.

Graham.

Sorry, off topic. What's it like on fuel economy? I'm looking for a cheap base model runabout as the Gti may be coming off the road.

RonnieG

A friend & I bought a 1990 205 1.6 Gti off ebay for a couple of hundred quid about 5 years ago to have some fun in. Since then we have always double entered it into loads of Auto X events, 3 years of Grasstesting and tarmac autotests. We stripped it out, fitted a cage and a Tran-X LSD. We left the engine, injection and gearbox all as standard. As we have an Mi engine & box waiting to be fitted this std injected 1.6 engine and box are thrashed pemanently, similarly only ever in 1st & 2nd gear - It never ceases to amaze me how robust it all is as standard. One event, before we fitted the manually controlled twin cooling fans, it overheated the temp guage went off the scale & the engine stop light came on - we thrashed on regardless and it still never missed a beat….

Changed the oil, filter & timing belt once a year and its all been unbelievably 'unkillable' !!

Hope this isn't famous last words right enough……..

pug_ham
Sorry, off topic. What's it like on fuel economy? I'm looking for a cheap base model runabout as the Gti may be coming off the road.

TBH I can't make an honest judgement about the economy, the only time I drive it is to give it a good blast because it spends most of its life doing short stop start journeys with my Mum so it doesn't get an average drive but its better than a GTi, just no idea by how much.

I was thinking prior to getting my 306 about an XS or something but then I realised that if I got a petrol engine 205 it'd spend lots of its time getting thrashed so the economy probably wouldn't be much better than a GTi driven sensibly but with ul at 8p a litre cheaper than SUL & 10p cheaper than diesel it'd just about balance out as a cheaper runabout.

Graham.

autograsser

the bhp figures 105 115 is that at the flywheel?? if so what would it be at the wheels?? :D

platty

somewhere around 95 Bhp for a good one.

autograsser

at the wheels or fly wheel??

pug_ham

105 / 115 @ the flywheel, 95 @ the wheels for a good 115 bhp 1.6 although anything above 90bhp @ the wheels from a 1.6 is good imo.

Graham.

autograsser

ok thanks mate, ive seen one for sale with 98 at flywheel but 60 at wheels? Is that right

Guest pugpowa
motorbike carbs can be got hold of prity cheap. the manifold is not that hard to make yourself if you used rubber inlet tubes like most bikes do.

I`m not saying to cheat or anything ;) but the 1.6 and 1.9 are very hard to tell apart , infact (afaik) its only the crankshaft + rods.

I do not condone cheating of any type............ unless it get me the win.......................and lets face it wining is wining :D

1.9 has a spacer plate between the sump and block iirc?

95@ the fly sounds rather low, although alot of these engines must be getting pretty tired by now!

Edited by pugpowa

jengis

Don't later 1.6's have a lower compression ratio of 9.2 instead of 9.8 and a lower power/torque output? My 1.6 GTi '92 says 111 bhp in the manual ;)

pug_ham
Don't later 1.6's have a lower compression ratio of 9.2 instead of 9.8 and a lower power/torque output? My 1.6 GTi '92 says 111 bhp in the manual :rolleyes:

Yes, the later (B6E) engines have a c/r of 9.25:1 compared to the 9.8:1 of the XU5J 180A (105bhp) B6D but Haynes state that both the B6D & B6E have 113bhp with 96.6lbft.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this