• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NeilGTi85

How To Connect Morrete's?

NeilGTi85

Hello All,

I'm about to give wiring my morrete's ago and thought I'd ask for some advice before attemting and causing a fire... :D

Im not worried about having sidelights :) just want main beam and full beam working on all four optics, can anyone explain how to wire them up correctly?

Cheers

Neil

NeilGTi85

Cheers, I did try serching for about 30 mins but could not find anything....

Cheers,

Neil :)

NeilGTi85

Thats quite confusing to me...:) (not much electrical knowledge!!)

Can anyone shed some more light?

This is what I have -

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff209/2...051008_1421.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff209/2...1008_142101.jpg

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff209/2...1008_180401.jpg

I could not see a anything else on the loom as It is wraped and runs under the rad.

I think the wiring has been alterd at some point along it life.

Can anyone explain it abit more please?

Cheers

Neil

welshpug

First picture looks like Normal H4 connection and Sidelight connection, no additional wiring there for the inner main beam.

From reading the article on the main site It would seem that there's meant to be an additional relay attached to the rear of the right hand headlamp unit, which is triggered by the main beam wire to the outer H4 lamp, and powered from the shunt box or directly from the battery via a fused connection, and an additional wire running across to the other side of the car to feed the Light hand inner Lamp.

NeilGTi85

Can I just cut the block connector off, split the yellow wire to both optics and just leave the side light one unattached and then earth them.....

So i just get main beam and full beam on all optics?

Cheers

Neil

welshpug

err no! if you cut the H4 connector off how do you p-lug it onto the back of the outer bulb? (which AFAIK is H4 :) )

doas the article mentions and I tried to describe and you'll get full beam on both lamps.

platty

Neil,

As Welshy said, need to know what conectors the Morrete's have on them. Should be able to do it the way you are saying though.

If your not interested in sidelights, you have all the cables you need at the H4 connector, its just a case of making it safe/neat.

Although don't you need side lights come MOT time?

If you need a hand, let me know (im a sparky :)) I can spare a couple of hours this week.

Ive got to come down at some point to pick up the back seat :D

Mark

Edited by platty

marc t

If they are the same as mine, when you remove your original lights, the sidelight will plug straight into the new side light hole (although you said your not bothered about this so I guess you have something else lined up for these) then the H4 original plug will just plug straight into the outer H4 lamp connector and this will enable dipped and main beam to function on this lamp.

For the inner lamp, this is only a full/main beam unit so before plugging the connector on the outer lamp you should get a multimeter and test the three wires in the plug. Whichever is the main/full beam you need to run another wire from this ( I recommend solder here for a good connection) then connect this up to a relay as the oe wiring may power another set of lights but it will put extra load on it and cause damage in the future. After this you wire the relay and inner lights as if they were spotlights.

marc t

Are both inner and outer single spade bulbs?

NeilGTi85
Are both inner and outer single spade bulbs?

Yeah ^_^

I think I am going to need a resiter between the 2.....I'm not to sure on electrics.

but hopefully Platty (electrician) will have a ganders for me at the weekend.

I take it you can get the 3 pin bulb's to fit the morrete's then? As mine were supplied with the one pin so I though thats all I could use :lol:

Cheers

Neil

marc t

The four sets I have had have all been H4 in the outer lamp and H1 on the inner lamp. - This makes the MOT easy as because the outers do dipped and main they class the inners as spotlights and don't check the alignement.

Trying to think of the best way as the easy way would mean the outer ones would go off when the inners come on. A relay or diode (might be a bit much for a diode) would be needed. I'm sure Platty will know the answer in his head. The ways I keep thinking start getting complicated and there is an easy way, I just can't think of it at the moment.

Edit:- the easist way I can see (well its the first idea i had anyway), wire each pair (ie dipped outer is one pair and main inner is the other) using a relay each. This will enable the dipped pair to work for dipped and main for main etc but the outers (dipped) would still go out when the inners (main) come on. Then on the switching wire to the relays you could add a diode as these only allow flow one way. There are only two ways round this could be fitted, if you get it wrong, both pairs would light on dipped and only the inner on full. With the diode the other way around you will have the outer dipped lights for dipped then all four with full. Add this to the two lower lamps and you have daylight!!

Edited by marc t

platty

Depends on how Neil wants them to operate.

If your happy for the outer lights to go off when the main beam is switched on its really simple.

Otherwise, if you want the outers to stay on when the main comes on we need to do something like this.

Morette.jpg

Please comment on any mistakes.

NeilGTi85
Depends on how Neil wants them to operate.

If your happy for the outer lights to go off when the main beam is switched on its really simple.

Otherwise, if you want the outers to stay on when the main comes on we need to do something like this.

Morette.jpg

Please comment on any mistakes.

I would rather that the outer lights are dipped then when the main beam is on all optics are on....That diagram cunfused the hell out of me....^_^

Cheers for the effort though platty!! :lol:

Neil

welshpug

didn't think you'd need a diode as relays already have them inside ^_^

platty

Welshy,

Morette2.jpg

That connection is effectively made outside of the relay. Both cables will go onto one spade connection of the relay, hence the need for the diodes.

You've made me rethink though. Could use a double relay with N/O and N/C contacts.......I'll do another diagram to confuse Neil some more.

Neil : ^_^:o:lol:

NeilGTi85

:huh::o-_-^_^:blink::blink::o:D:blink::blink::lol::blush:

After studying your diagram with my boss (petrol head) I finally understood it after about 30mins of explaining......even my boss got confused as he said they would both have a live feed...then I noticed the diode and said whats that....:lol:

Cheers

Neil

platty

^_^ 30 mins.....not bad.

Nope.....I stand by my original diagram.

All I've managed to do is confuse myself. I cannot make it work any other way. All sorts of problems when I introduce a double relay into the equation.

marc t

As you already know you would need a quite high spec diode where as doing it before the relay would only need a little one. Either way is good and the diagram looks spot on. The reason for me putting the diode first was just because I never know how to work the specs out so if it was before the relay you would only need a small one.

Ref the relays I have seen ones where one input when operated controls two outputs (not conected together when off) but this would cost more where as a few diodes are fine and pence from maplins/RS etc

platty

Yep, your spot on about the Diode, it would need to be high current to go on the side of the circuit that I have shown in the diagram.

After a bit of head scratching, we have a solution. :lol:

Morette3-1.jpg

Neil......PM sounds good ^_^

marc t

That looks good and removes the need for any diodes.

platty

Well it all worked, but took much longer than expected. We had a mysterious 6v on the full beam cable which wasn't allowing the relay to open when the full beam was turn't off, instead all 4 lights would stay on. After some head scratching (and 2 cups of tea!),Problem was eventually traced to a bad earth. We had 135 Ohms between the battery post and inner wing, then another 40 ohms between the inner wing and front earth point. So after a clean up with emery paper, the resistance was lowered to 1 Ohm and the 6v's vanished :D

Curse Peugeots shady electrical system!

And Neil, the missus is safe, I won it :)

Edited by platty

NeilGTi85

Glad you won the seat's!! How much did you pay in the end?

Thanks agian Mark for the help, Shame the bulb went right at the end though :)

Neil :unsure:

platty

In the words of Mr Miyagi, 'Velcome'

£200 for all interior trim, seats, dash, belts, wheel.....basically, everything except a parcel shelf. -_-

The 6v problem was driving me crazy, there one minute, gone the next, and then back again. And singeing (sp?) my finger hair off with the blow lamp wasn't part of the plan <_<

But it did look good, until the bulb blew. :rolleyes::blink:

Sign in to follow this