• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gtiles85

1.6 With 1.9 Brakes

gtiles85

Just a quick question ( done a search, cant find anything )

Now i got the engine i now need need the brakes, i have the 1.9 discs and calipers but i need the hubs to make them fit.

I thought that i also had to replace the driveshalfts to use the 1.9 hubs but someone told me i can replace the wheel bearings with the 1.6 ones to save swapping driveshafts over ?

Would someone be able to confirm this ?

Cheers, Les. :)

marc t

Easy way if you just want front 1.9 brakes is to bolt the calipers (using 1.9 bolts) to the 1.6 hubs and keep the 1.6 discs. - Front flexy pipes are the same as well.

If you want the driveshafts I'm not sure about the bearings but shouldn't be too hard to find someone breaking a 1.9 with complete hubs.

pug_ham

The 1.9 has the same sized discs as fitted to the 1.6. In fact all 205's have the same size discs (247mm) just either vented or solid.

A 1.9 will be fine on a healthy set of 1.6 brakes & the hubs are also fine but if you really want to fit the full 1.9 stuff you need hubs & driveshafts.

You can use the 1.9 calipers on the 1.6 hubs & discs though.

Graham.

GLPoomobile
The 1.9 has the same sized discs as fitted to the 1.6. In fact all 205's have the same size discs (247mm) just either vented or solid.

Just to clarify, to save any confusion, the 1.6 discs are a different offset to the 1.9 discs, even though the same size diameter. So you can bolt the 1.9 calipers to the 1.6 hubs but you need to retain the 1.6 discs, as 1.9 discs on 1.6 hubs would not line up with the calipers. Confused yet? Good isn't it? :lol:

As Graham said, 1.6 brakes should be fine anyway (mine, albeit with Mintex pads and Black Diamond discs were fine on my Mi), so don't assume you HAVE to change them. But it is common to 'upgrade' to 1.9 calipers as the 1.6 ones go gay as soon as they get a bit worn, so if this is what you do, then as above you only need to swap the calipers and nothing else. Then just make sure that everything else - pads, discs, MC, servo, brake fluid etc - is in good condition and working as it should.

Edited by GLPoomobile

shalmaneser

^ exactly what I've done to my 1.6 - just wacked on a set of 1.9 calis and theres a great improvement over 1.6 slightly worn calipers.

Should have done it sooner really!

Sign in to follow this