• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

Mysterious Wheel Wobble?!

Fox

I'm having a bit of a problem trying to find out the cause of a wobble under braking on my car.

First, I assumed it was a warped front disk, swapped both and still got the wobble. Then after using the handbrake only, I decided it was from the rear end, so swapped all four wheels with a mate and the problem disappeared completely!

So its safe to say the rear wheel(s) were out of balance, so I got them checked, one was a mile out so I got it re done.

Now I've put the old wheels back on, its worse than ever!

Its fine driving at any speed, until you brake? Could it be a warped drum? The wheels are speedlines with new 195/50/15 continental tyres, my mates wheels are 175/50/14's form a 106 rallye

Its really baffling me at the moment! Anyone?

Peetypug

buckled alloy maybe?

Fox

Could be, although they look true, no signs of impact, would that not be found when they balanced them?

Peetypug

not sure mate, just trying to eliminate probable causes

Edited by sorrentopete

Fox

I'll try the rear wheels on thye front and see if the wobble moves...

Peetypug

is it steering wheel wobble?

can you feel it through the brake pedal?

Peetypug

could be a tyre problem

Fox

Good point! It can be felt through the brake pedal, feels a bit like ABS

Peetypug

have you changed/repaired anything recently or around the time you first felt it?

dirtdog

Fox, I have the same problem. I haven't changed the wheels around yet but I'm pretty sure one is buckled. I can feel it judder when i'm braking and when on the brake tester the rear passenger side moves up and down. Mechanic first told me oval drums, so I replaced those and it didn't make a diffrence. He then told me it'd be a bent stub axle, which I then found out wouldn't make it bounce/judder etc.

Then I realised that the juddering came around about the time (and I can't be 100% sure)I had me wheels back from the powder coaters :angry: The car is SORN at the moment so I can't change the wheels around, I'd try to swap the wobbly side to the ok side, then take it for a drive and see if the wobbling/juddering whatever has changed sides. Personally I think i've got a dead wheel ;)

Edited by dirtdog

Fox
Fox, I have the same problem. I haven't changed the wheels around yet but I'm pretty sure one is buckled. I can feel it judder when i'm braking and when on the brake tester the rear passenger side moves up and down. Mechanic first told me oval drums, so I replaced those and it didn't make a diffrence. He then told me it'd be a bent stub axle, which I then found out wouldn't make it bounce/judder etc.

Then I realised that the juddering came around about the time (and I can't be 100% sure)I had me wheels back from the powder coaters :angry: The car is SORN at the moment so I can't change the wheels around, I'd try to swap the wobbly side to the ok side, then take it for a drive and see if the wobbling/juddering whatever has changed sides. Personally I think i've got a dead wheel ;)

Bugger.

I too think it happened around the time I got the wheels back from being powder coated, are your wheels a dead tight fit on the hub due to the increased thickness of the powder coating? I thought that may be affecting it so gave them a good brush out

dirtdog

They fit like a glove. I put them on and then used the wheel nuts to pull each one on properly

Sign in to follow this