• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy F

Smooth Tailgates

Andy F

hi again

can someone please tell me if the model with the smooth tailgate like the trio were just the smooth panel fitted to a normal tailgate or they actually a different tailgate.

thanks

Arahan

Different tailgate, at the bottom at least, smooth metal with no panel fitted!

welshpug

they were just the standard tailgate with no trim at all fixed to them.

Arahan

Doesn't the metal at the bottom, where the panel would be fitted, come out further on the smooth ones? And is abit recessed on the ones that have the panel fitted?

timmsy19

yeah my old trio/ xs didnt have a recess and just went straight down

wouldnt bother with getting one though as you cant fit the gti spolier on to it unless its the phase 1 i think

Andy F

would the spoiler just not fit coz the holes arnt there as i could drill them easy enough???

I may have a look down the scappy,

what models was that smooth panel for then???

craig f90

I think? you mean the PH2 205s which had decals rather than badges/emblems. I bought a new old stock phase 2 tailgate from the dealer a few years ago after some moomen used my car as brakes instead of the middle pedal. :angry: It came without the pins to hold the bages on. But it still has a recess/swage lin. The PH1/5 -2 spoiler still fits with the help of a drill. plus it has a mounting point for a brake light. WooHoo. you can buy a Smooth panel from online autosport for about £50 but you still have to knock the pins off.

I hope im on the right path with this rambling.

Arahan

I think you are! Though the smooth ones on ph2 tailgates still had the line but came out as far as the black or reflective panel would!

And yeah as long as the tailgate has the lip at the top, the ph1.5 / ph2 gti spoiler will fit fine with a few holes drilled, I fitted one to my old Trio S! :angry:

craig f90
I think you are! Though the smooth ones on ph2 tailgates still had the line but came out as far as the black or reflective panel would!

And yeah as long as the tailgate has the lip at the top, the ph1.5 / ph2 gti spoiler will fit fine with a few holes drilled, I fitted one to my old Trio S! ;)

Cheers for that Arahan.

So we can confirm that for certain '89' on are different at the top which alters the spoiler design from the large one from '82' to '89'. then they had no pins to mount the moulding from '94'.

Dates are Estimates. (from my head :angry: ) So what Andy F requires is a '94' on tailgate. :)

Andy F

thanks for everyones help, i dont suppose anyone has pictures of the smooth panel and smooth tailgate?

thanks

Henry Yorke

AFAIK there are only 2 types of tailgate, those with no lip at the top (GTI spoiler was stuck on the rear glass) and those with a lip (GTI spoiler had to be screwed into holes)

On very late models, they just didn't have the 4 little pins for the rear slatted panel which sat behind the badges. I don't believe they came out further, unless someone has put a reflective "Peugeot 205" panel on instead of the plain one.

Arahan

I always thought they did, as a tailgate that has had a panel that has been removed seems to look a little odd and too far in? I know someone with a late 205 so will confirm!

craig f90
thanks for everyones help, i dont suppose anyone has pictures of the smooth panel and smooth tailgate?

thanks

i think there are pics on the peugeot eccose website. But online autosport are cheaper.

Jrod

My Rallye boot was the same as a boot with the pins ground off, infact the current one is exactly that!

MerlinGTI

Anyone know what mine is?

DSCF009gg3.jpg

Base model? GTI thats been ground/filled?

I bought it like this :lol:

Henry Yorke

Looks standard to me with the pins ground off. Servicebox will provide the answer to this question I guess

cybernck

you've got the little GTI tailgate spoiler there (sprayed in white though).

eno

Got one of these kicking around my garage..

dsc03228iy9.jpg

Andy F

uh oh i feel another trip to wales comin on, is that on for sale? :)

i like the tailgate on the white one pictured above looks clean

eno

everything is always for sale, at the right price!

Wales is a lovely place, only problem is our neighbours - the english!

Our sheep are so much more attractive.

Andy F

^_^ i thought it was down to the english to take the piss out of the welsh, not the welsh to take the piss out of themselves :lol:

give me an idea of what the price is? just need to weigh up driving to you as opposed to getting someone to do it when i get the car re-sprayed

was that a standard boot with the pins cut off?? or is it something different

Henry Yorke
was that a standard boot with the pins cut off?? or is it something different

Looks like a standard Phase 2 boot with GTI spoiler, pins cut off and delocked in the middle. The boot will probably open on a solinoid which you will need to wire up to the dash.

Correct me if I am wrong eno ^_^

cybernck

to me it looks like it has been completely smoothed, without the ridge.

however, this is a borderline topic as Passenger sales are not allowed.

Andy F

ooops was some good discussion about tailgates though ;)

well and it is a nice tailgate :)

chrisj21

If you look at shinys 205 in the project section there a few pics of his tailgate, His has the lip on the top and the ridge below the glass.

click

click

Also there is an ebay seller/shop calles paragonpug. they sometimes have the taigates for sale. worth a look now and then.

Chris

Sign in to follow this