• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MarkK

Head Port And Polish

MarkK

My first post!!

My head gasket has blown on my 1.9,so whilst the head is off i am taking the opportunity to have a port and polish,fast road cam,and a 4-1 manifold fitted,i am pretty exited about this from what i have read on here i know i won't get a massive jump in power but am really hoping it feels a bit more sparkly,the manifold hopefully won't make it too boomy.Shenpar supplied me with the 4 branch and are doing the headwork(getting it fitted locally) for me just waiting to hear if the head is ok before they start working on it so am on eggshells a bit until i hear its ok.Whilst i was there i had a listen to Nicks bike carb 1.9 sounded great,i might go to 45 webers as my next stage..be a while as i will need to save after this outlay...

Great reading all the old posts,great looking forum,the technical knowledge on here might be a bit over my head but am hoping to pick stuff up as i go!,and i deffo want to stick to my original 8v before anyone starts on that (16v) route!! B)

Peetypug

welcome to the forum

drop a 16ver in, you know you want to B):D

DM88PUG
My first post!!

My head gasket has blown on my 1.9,so whilst the head is off i am taking the opportunity to have a port and polish,fast road cam,and a 4-1 manifold fitted,i am pretty exited about this from what i have read on here i know i won't get a massive jump in power but am really hoping it feels a bit more sparkly,the manifold hopefully won't make it too boomy.Shenpar supplied me with the 4 branch and are doing the headwork(getting it fitted locally) for me just waiting to hear if the head is ok before they start working on it so am on eggshells a bit until i hear its ok.Whilst i was there i had a listen to Nicks bike carb 1.9 sounded great,i might go to 45 webers as my next stage..be a while as i will need to save after this outlay...

Great reading all the old posts,great looking forum,the technical knowledge on here might be a bit over my head but am hoping to pick stuff up as i go!,and i deffo want to stick to my original 8v before anyone starts on that (16v) route!! B)

Nice to see another 8valver fan like myself, best of luck with the build mark

MarkK

cheers mate!,let u know how i get on!

number2301

Which cam are you going for? 205s have what most manufacturers call a fast road cam as standard.

MrG

Mark

I'm just going down this route at the moment, using a ported and flowed head, lumpier cam and a pair of 45's. Std exhaust manifold though. I'll have it fit for Marham next weekend so I'll be able to let you know how it feels.

MarkK

Its a piper Cam i don't know the exact spec off the top of my head,Nick at Shenpar said if i was deffo going for Twin45s,i should go for the one above the one i picked but as i am not 100 percent sure(deffo can't afford it at this precise moment anyway..) i played it safe,i will find out next time i speak to him the serial number of the cam.I can't get the crackly crisp noise out of my head of Nicks carb conversion sounded like my parents sunbeam Lotus (i think that was on Dellortos) back in the day Y reg i think..??

Mr G would love to hear how your car runs,would really love to know how it starts from cold and if it is easy to get going etc thats my only fear that it would be a bit less usable/reliable...they sound SO nice though....

large

If you are a bit tight for cash i would re-think a fast road cam as has been said. Some "fast road cams" are for want of a better term, not as fast as the standard one. Have a look at pumaracing.com he has put some facts and figgers down, but IF what he is saying is right why wast your money.

DM88PUG

Hey Mark sorry for my blindness i c ur wanting to know how the carbs/cam run day2day ect

Well i have a pair of twin45 delloretos/either a kent or piper cam will have a look trew the recipt book later lol few other trick bits nd bobs to ease town driving pm if you would like to no these.

As far as carbs go there bullitproof as long as set rite, as far as day to day driving goes so long as the carbs are set rite should be fine they dont tend to like very low rpm(splutering and judering) but set them right and there very civilised.as for the cam my car is very civilised untill 3000rpm then it takes of.

Pm me and il give u some good tips/advise

Hope this helps

8v all the way

MarkK

Thanks for that mate!,the carbs are not something i can afford to do straight away unfortunately- just doing some research,got hit today with an unexpected increase in my head bill,apparently the valve "guides" are exhibiting signs of wear and need to be replaced...,only an extra 60 or so quid apparently but an unexpected bill nevertheless.. :unsure:at least the head is straight no cracks etc..

What i want to do is get her rolling again then plan and save for the next phase,which by the sounds of what the last poster said might possibly be carbs,i want to go to a meet maybe and have a look at some other carb cars to see if its right for me,they do sound so nice..

The extra work that they are doing to the head will set its return back at least a couple of extra days,which isn't so bad as the car itself is having a little cosmetic touch in on a sill where there is a tad of corrosion starting that i want to nip in the bud before winter sets in..

Cannot wait to get her back,hopefully shouldn't be longer than 2 to 2 and half weeks which is too long.. ^_^

MrG

Mark

I bought a set of 45's a while back, used, was sold as in good condition complete with filter king regulator and inlet manifold. I decided to strip them down and service them myself with service kits before refitting, and I'm glad I did. On the whole they were fine however a few things were missing so I had to spend about £150 more on parts etc than I would have liked, however both carbs were good and ran nice when first set up. The carbs in total set me back about £500 I expect when everything is taken into consideration. But I wished I'd bought a complete running set (like Baz has on here) as it would have removed the headaches I had whilst doing it.

But I didn't connect the choke, a few prods of the pedal and it fires, nurse it a bit and its fine. But when you do, just budget for a rolling road set up, makes such a difference.

The head I've got is ported and flowed, and is running a 276 or so cam, not wild by any chalk but it worked well in the car I drove before the head was removed.

It is costly (what isn't these days) but the noise and bark of the car is superb. I had to have a new head/block after the engine ate something and destroyed itself, will have it back Weds pm, so I'll let you know more then. For the brief time I drove it, it was very torquey, so much more than the injection set up prior, and revv'd well.

MarkK

Mr G,

Sounds SO tempting,like i said i think i am going to go for a couple of meets to see a couple of cars,but i think it could deffo be the way forward i want that fruity bark that you get with carbs ;)

When you get your car back if you get a minute, a little description of how it runs would be great!! What was the diagnosis on your engine what made it lunch itself??Anything to do with the carb settup or just something random due to being thrashed!!??

Bet you are really excited to get the car back been away long??Like i said in a previous post mines been out of action not that long and i won't get it going for at least 2 weeks and i am going mad with withdrawal symptoms!

MrG

no problem, will do.

My problem, well on the rolling road it digested a washer or a nut and split a liner and that was that! It ran well before though but suddenly misfired and stopped! Well we think thats the way it happened, it ate something as the damage to the piston crown and the liner was quite bad.

If this is the case it's down to me as either a nut that held the filters came loose or it wasn't done up right (and I'm sure I did) so the carbs sucked the nut and washer through and thats was that. However when we pulled the engine apart it was definatley on its last legs so it just brought forward the inevitable I think.

MrG

I've had an update, car is ready. All set up and sorted on the rolling road.

So I have a good engine which is now showing very good oil pressure (which is in complete reversal to the previous engine).

The things I had done were

a) replacement std used engine from a member on here.

:) baffled sump (whilst it was off it made sense to do it)

c) I bought an LAD head complete with a 276 or so cam, had done 20odd k's but still good. The inlet ports are quite big, but the all the ports are nice and smooth inside, I think the valves were larger but can't really remember.

d) Twin 45's, overhauled with filters properly bolted down this time.

c) new water pump and belts, plugs, leads and cap with rotor arm.

On the rolling road yesterday (Peter Baldwins in Royston, Herts) it made 166bhp!

I haven't collected it yet, will do Thursday hopefully.

MarkK

Bet you are excited!166bhp-nice!

MarkK

Should have head back on tuesday next week,just hope the bodyshop doesn't hold it up too much.....want it back..

projectpug

Interesting results 166 seems like a lot of power from a relatively mild cam. I think you either have a much lairier cam than you stated or theRR figures are a little optimistic. Do you have a graph that you can post up be nice to see.

MrG

no I haven't, the cam, well thats what was on the receipt when the car was done first time round but I'll ask the garage as they did some chasing regards timing etc. Graph, again no but it was verified by 3 at the session. Peter Baldwin isn't known for optomistic readings, but I can try and verify it.

But it flew yesterday at Marham and pulled really well and strong, sort of came on cam around 4k and had a lot of its 'input' between 4 & 6k, so maybe it is a little lairier than first thought? I loved it regardless. This time round I could keep with and actually go past some of the quicker stuff.

MarkK

Picked up my ported and polished 8v head today from Shenpar,it looked spanking they had cleaned it up a treat and had its new Piper cam fitted,brought it back to Marque car racing in Leicester who are installing the new head and 4-1 manifold for me really excited....whilst i was at Shenpar Nick showed me a Dimma 205 running Fazer bike carbs that he had just done in the workshop,what is the general thoughts on conversions like this as opposed to Webers apart from the fact that they are odbviously cheaper,they sounded beautiful,what do people think of them???Very excited about getting my Pug back really really missed it although when i visted it today they had not started the bodywork like they said they would...maybe i will just take the car back and get that sorted another time...

DrSarty

Yeah welcome Mark. Don't let anyone give you any gip about having 8valves too few! :blink:

No seriously, sounds like you have a good plan. Can't say I'm a carbs fan myself; throttle bodies the way to go personally.

I've had a 1.6 8v, 1.9 8v, 1.9Mi, 1.9(Mod'd)Mi and now the 2.2, and they all have special character. Definitely get the valve guides done, and take the chance to refurb your hydraulic lifters/cam followers. It's not a tough job; it's actually quite satisfying and you'll have the reward of a nice quite engine....except for the induction roar of course.

Keep it up. :lol:

Edited by DrSarty

MrG

I love mine, especially now, quite strange on the road, but on the track, wow it has some punch. And on the carbs at 5k it has this fabulous induction noise. My mate drove it whilst at Marham and he came back and couldn't believe how gutsy the engine was. Just need it to handle as well now and I'm done.

DrS where abouts in Ely are you?

dimmapalmer

hi there.

that was my dimma you saw at shenpar :) pretty little rally slag.

its all set up now, and running sooo sweet, only with 132bhp though, but it feels alot stronger and is a fair bit quicker!

booking in with nick soon for headwork n a 300degree cam.

by the way, i have a set of twin 40's with a gti manifold, only want 150 for them.

bought them on a standard 205 gti engine, wich was rolling roaded at 143bhp. they could do with a service but arent in bad condition.

Edited by dimmapalmer

MarkK

Your Dimma sounded really good -looks like a tidy conversion,very tempting(in a while though),my car is nearly back together now and i am pacing the floor now waiting for her to come home,can't wait to see what she is like with her new bits,have heard i might need to change a rear engine mount as with the four branch you can get a knocking when you put it in reverse..??Just want to drive it for now though....I needed some new cam pulley covers and the like(some of the originals were a bit tired and cracked) -a couple were difficult to source but Nick at Shenpar helped me out with a couple of covers i was having trouble getting....Will report back when she is running....

MarkK

Got my car back today in time for the weekend!!!,definetely feels stronger,but the most suprising thing is it feels sweeter,but it feels like it has lost some of its rortyness if that makes any sense,i would have thought with the four branch it would have made it noisier especially after changing the cam,if anything it is more sewing machine like,not what i expected to be honest but deffo drives more responsively than it did before.so far,so good anyway...

projectpug

Yes regarding the manifold, Mark the car sounds good. I would advise a grp N bottom engine mount fr your car if it has a tubular mani on it. Main reason being most of them will catch the subframe if there is too much engine movement.

Edited by projectpug

Sign in to follow this