• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Gti6 Ex Manifold On An Mi16 Head

philfingers

Will this work. Is it worth any power? If so where does it catch the bulkhead. I've chopped a fair bit out the bulkhead already to get the std manifold in so mayI can use a 'six' manifold?

Phil

ps pics to follow of bulkhead mods

Stu

Im fairly sure the bolt pattern is wrong Phil, and doesnt fit. B)

welshpug

as stu mentioned (I presume yours is a 1.9?) they wont fit straight on (9 bolt stud pattern as opposed to 10 of the XU10) as well as the ports being the wrong shape, BUT there is this...

http://www.taylor-eng.com/conversion/conversion_parts.htm

Edited by welshpug

philfingers

I have chopped a huge amount out of the tunnel so I'll just use the std manifold I have for the Mi16. It was just a thought. What about a 309 16v manifold? I did look at this a long time ago but it's awkward to go into a 309 Mi16 powered if it's RHD

Stu

Is the motivation mainly for clearance Phil? If so i wouldnt worry, if you've chopped out more than mine you wont have a problem.. B)

If its for flow, then im fairly sure the stock item has been proven on engines approaching 200bhp so our setup's should be more than ok.

philfingers

yes i was just thinking flow. so it will be fine as is. Bought the paint, still some welding to do then time to learn to use a spray gun!

Baz

Strangely i was thinking about this last night, from the same flow angle. Peter's wedge/adapter looks pretty good, and Maxi used one iirc to good effect. I'd be interested to know more, on the website it says clearance would be alot better with an ali block.

SPGTi

How about cutting the "mounting flange" off the MI16 manifold and welding it to the GTi6 maniflod pipes (after removing the '6 mounting flange) ? Do the same with the Mi16 one and call it a 306 GTi6 grp A item, put in on ebay and make hundreds !!!!!!!!

Have you got your flywheel back yet Phil ?

cheers

steve

Baz

Lol!

but the Mi has 8 branches as opposed to the '6s 4 remember.

philfingers

yes flywheel is back and he made a lovely job of it, around 2-3kgs lighter I thing he said. It's so nice I might just hang it on the wall instead!

SPGTi
yes flywheel is back and he made a lovely job of it, around 2-3kgs lighter I thing he said. It's so nice I might just hang it on the wall instead!

Damn !!! I wish you hadn't said that, I wasn't going to bother with mine, I might have to now though.

cheers

Steve

maxi

I made an XU10J4RS exhaust manifold fit an XU9J4 head on my previous engine which made 216BHP. It was a ridiculous amount of work as neither the ports or stud pattern matched up. I must have spent hours and hours and hours with a mig, die grinderjust getting the port shape to match, let alone flow right. Anyone, in the end it worked, bolted up with no blows and cleared the bulhead with no problems at all. The engine made good power and torque so I was very pleased but I would never attempt it again.

Maxi

petert

They are a silly amount of effort. You're better off buying an XU10J4R head. Valve sizes, port volumes etc., are identical to Mi16 and the RS manifold will bolt straight on. You've also got the advantage of smaller chambers and lighter valves/lifters. All you need is a decent pair of cams.

Sign in to follow this