• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GLPoomobile

Play In Steering Column

GLPoomobile

I've got a little bit of play in my steering column, but it's amplified by the steering wheel, so it's actually quite irritating considering I've never had it happen on previous cars.

I noticed it as soon as I got the car, but assumed it would be simply the retaining nuts that clamp the column in place being loose, but it's not. It's actually the column itself being fractionally loose inside it's tube.

Any repair possible, or new column required?

matty_gti

Ive actauly got the same problem on my 306 gti6 :D , i can move the steering wheel up and down slighty which is really annoying and more than likely to fail an MOT when it comes around. The shaft inside the column sits on two bearings, one at the top and one at the bottom so i dont know if you could just renew them or the two bearings are part of the shaft so being one unit. Failing tha it may be time for a whole new column.

Matt

Edited by matty_gti

hengti

if you decide you need a new column, i've a couple that are fine - could post you one for, say, £15? they're easy to fit

GLPoomobile

I'll consider that Hengti. Will need to look in to how they fit etc.

Sign in to follow this