• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
TRYNKEEPUP

Steering Dosent Feel Right

TRYNKEEPUP

Hi i seem to have a bit of a problem with my 1.9 gti, non PAS, or ABS. the steering feels vague, steering wheel not centred, seems to wonder a bit, if i hit a bump in the road sometimes the wheel sits straight, it just dosent feel nice and tight like it should, i have recently replaced everything on front end, bottom arms, with poly bushes, track rod ends, brakes, suspension, and all new nuts and bolts, i have jacked car up today and checked everything all seems fine no play in anything, has any one esle had this problem ! was wondering if the steering rack is on its way out ? any ideas.

pete1986

Mine has very similar symptoms, and have found its the rack. There's play in one of the ball joints. Get a mate to turn the steering wheel from side to side a little whilst you feel for play there

hengti

also, disconnect the lower column U/J from the rack and check that it's not at all stiff

Flix

Have you had your tracking checked?

jackherer
Have you had your tracking checked?

Always check for play in the suspension and steering before getting the tracking checked as play can make the alignment appear to be wrong and correcting it will just make it worse.

TRYNKEEPUP

I did check ball joints on car while steering was moved side to side, bottom arms are only a couple of months old, also did have tracking done at a garage and has been spot on till this problem arose

Sign in to follow this