• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stuRALLYE

Lightened And Balanced Flywheel On Xu9

stuRALLYE

hi everyone, is it worth having a flywheel lightened and balanced on a standard 1.9 8v? i imagine it would let it rev up a little more freely and quickly but i thought i would see if anyone thought it worthwhile without any other engine modifications?

if it is worth doing, does anyone know where i can get it done in the south-west (dorset) area?

Miles

Just use a 1.6 flywheel, Cheaper and lighter too

stuRALLYE

thanks i didnt know that. that now creates the question, what clutch will i need to mate a 1.6 fly with a gti-6 box? i know with a 1.9 fly i can use the standard clutch with no problem but will using a 1.6 flywheel change anything on that front?

thanks for the help! :D

welshpug

nope, same clutch assembly, though you'll need a BE3 clutch fork arm and cable.

is the gti6 box going on for any particular reason?

great ratio's, for a 16valver, but a tad too big for the 205 (and the 306 it came from)

Edited by welshpug

andy0075

Hi!

This is my flywheel and i did not notice a big difference.

So i think on a standard engine it is not worth it ....

Except, you get it for really little money. I payed about 80 pound for the work.

Schwung_Vorher_Nachher.jpg

Andy

TEKNOPUG
Hi!

This is my flywheel and i did not notice a big difference.

So i think on a standard engine it is not worth it ....

Except, you get it for really little money. I payed about 80 pound for the work.

Schwung_Vorher_Nachher.jpg

Andy

You know how the 205 has it's engine fitted transversly.......well when your flywheel explodes it's gonna enter the cabin at 6,000 rpm about knee height......ouch

Baz

I've seen that happen, not nice...

Guest ryan_NIGTI

think ive missed the jist of this? is a 1.6 flywheel a worth while fit? im looking a 1.6 gearbox next so maybe its worth doing at the same time?

Baz

yes, the 1.6 flywheel is alot lighter than the 1.9 item, so it's a worthwhile mod while you have it all apart. :unsure:

Guest ryan_NIGTI

sounds good to me ...loving all these we cheap bolt on upgrades!! just to source them now ...all the flywheels the same too over the years on the 1.6's? and will i need a 1.6 clutch kit? maybe as well doing that while its apart anyway

cheers

Ryan

mmt

Beginners question!

Why is it better to have the 1.6 flywheel fitted? Why is ligther better?

Thanks

/Martin

TEKNOPUG
Beginners question!

Why is it better to have the 1.6 flywheel fitted? Why is ligther better?

Thanks

/Martin

Noooooooooob!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol :)

Think of it as making the whole car lighter and thus the effort required by the engine to propel the car forwards. This is a good read if you are unsure: http://www.pumaracing.co.uk/FLYWHEEL.htm Worked well on my turbo. I've got some pics somewhere. If you are taking the gearbox off to replace the clutch for example, it's worth getting it done. But I wouldn't go out of my way to do it. Money can be better spent elswhere.

mmt

Thanks. Nice link!

/Martin

richsmells

The flywheel is a heavy lump of metal that stores energy, helping the engine to run smoothly, this is described by the laws of inertia. Inertia is proportional to mass, therefore lighter flywheel will require less energy to create a change in velocity. This basically means the engine will pick up speed quicker, but not as much energy will be stored, therefore also lose speed quicker. This will result in a lively fast-revving characteristic but CAN also result in the car becoming lumpy at low speed.

1.6 flywheel will be fine though. It's a combination of the flywheel, cam, standard jetronic and decent setup that makes a Gti lumpy to drive.

Edit: I can't compete with Puma's physics-babble.

Edited by richsmells

mmt

Ha ha, who can compete with Puma?

So for a race car only a light fly wheel would be to prefer? !

What exately is "lumpy"

/Martin

Batfink

you need a cast flywheel rather than cut holes in.

left is a Group A 205 one - right is a touring car one

DSCF0269.jpg

I think my idle will be lumpy which will most likely mean it will have to have a highish revs to compensate so it doesnt cut out.

My old group A flywheel wasent really that light on its own but it was very strong to endure the rigours of rallying. The clutch and clutch plate was very light so it was overall a lot better than a normal clutch setup.

Edited by Batfink

Sign in to follow this