• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sss_205GTI

Replacing Top Mount Bearings + Rubbers

sss_205GTI

The top mounts n bearings n rubbers - I have group N top mounts - still got a knock - am looking at replacing the bearings n rubbers - will standered / after market bearings n rubbers fit?

Getting myself abit confused - thought the actual top mount was seperate from the bearing and rubber?!

Yet euro car parts just quoted me for the top mounts (which he said are the rubbers?) and the bearings... I always thought the top mounts were the metal plate?!

Help?

cybernck

here you can see an exploded top mount (luckily not literally :P):

205Mi32_Ph1_134.thumb.jpg

don't get those aftermarket OE-replacement rubbers, they are too soft.

get just the bearings from SKF dealer and FastRoad or Grp.N rubbers from BBM.

the metal part you can refurbish if it's rusty, but that's it.

hope this helps.

sss_205GTI

Thankyou very much :P

number2301

Metal part can be bought from Peugeot, something like £40 a side but it comes with the rubbers.

Just to reiterate, GSF also sell 'top mounts' which are just the rubbers.

GLPoomobile
Metal part can be bought from Peugeot, something like £40 a side but it comes with the rubbers.

The Pug top mount kit includes everything IIRC - metal plate, rubber donut, bearing, strut nut and mounting nuts. Last time I checked it was circa £50 per side if you include VAT.

If getting aftermarket bushes (the rubber donut) from somewhere like BBM, I'd go for the fast road version, which should be somewhere between OE standard and Group N for stiffness. I had BBM Group N ones on my old 205 with standard shocks and Eibach 7001 springs and found the ride incredibly crashy. I'd had the same suspension setup with standard bushes for a while, and the swap to the Group N ones was quite significant in my view. Fine for track use, but I didn't like them at all for the road. I'd maybe try the fast road ones one day, but more likely to just get OE ones from Pug.

sss_205GTI

SKF - when i go onto a website e.g. bearing boys

i kinda have the following reaction :lol::lol::P

McDude

I think it has all been covered in the above.

I'm running GrpN top mount rubbers and don't find them harsh at all - steering is very direct as a result with no play or slop.

Metal plate and bearing are OE items.

pete1986

Just to confirm, everything on the left hand side of cybernck's photo is include in peugeot's top mount kit. The kit cost £37 a side when i bought some a few months back

Jrod

Also use Group N rubber and really like them, My car is just for a toy now though so I wouldn't care if it was crashy if it handled well. :lol:

GLPoomobile
I'm running GrpN top mount rubbers and don't find them harsh at all - steering is very direct as a result with no play or slop.

No doubt Sir Skip Of Brown might have something to do with that :lol:

Old OE shocks with -40mm Eibach springs isn't exactly the final word in damping finesse (although I preferred the control to my current Koni kit). Having the Group N top mount bushes was probably just a step too far. The Skip Brown setup is carefully matched, and so the damping is probably better able to cope with those bushes.

sss_205GTI

Right well ive gone for some Group N rubbers and GSF bearings. Im not really bothered about the finer issues of ride or handling (for now!) more i want to see if this cures the horrendous knock im exeperienceing.

Thanks for making stuff clear guys - appriciate it :D

Simsy

Sorry to resurrect an old thread here, can you get the bearings from GSF? The 306 had a top mount and bearing (available from GSF) and they were spot on, the metal plate doesn't really require renewing unless its rotted to pieces which i doubt so i just want the bearing and rubber parts.

Peugeot dealers are extremely hilarious in their pricing of these sort of parts too, so i'll try and avoid them if i can!

Baz

You can yes, for about £8 iirc, can't find the part no. i'm afraid though!

CosKev

Try your local motor factors,I got mine from Motaquip,£11 per side and they were SKF bearings,that included standard rubbers too :lol:

Simes

I've just gone back to standard rubbers after 4 or 5 years of group N. I haven't noticed any difference apart from it is less crashy and noisy.

Perhaps I'm getting old.

Super Josh
You can yes, for about £8 iirc, can't find the part no. i'm afraid though!

I think it is this one

N45710STRUT TOP BEARING BERLINGO STRUT TOP BEARING 8.75

Can anyone confirm?

Josh

welshpug

yes that's the one, pretty much every single PSA vehicle uses that bearing.

MrG

does anyone have the peugeot part number for the top mount set?

welshpug

Number 2 on the left, 5031 25 £49.93 inc vat each side

205strutarrangement.jpg

MrG

thank you WP

Baz
I think it is this one

N45710STRUT TOP BEARING BERLINGO STRUT TOP BEARING 8.75

Can anyone confirm?

Josh

Is that a Pug part number then??

Super Josh

No GSF Mate

Josh

Simsy

I'd go GSF for the lot then. I did with the 306 and had no issues. Unless anyone would advise going to pug? I'm only planning on doing them once! :)

welshpug

GSF dont do the complete lot, only the bearing + donut.

cybernck

like i've already said:

don't get those aftermarket OE-replacement rubbers, they are too soft.

get just the bearings from SKF dealer and FastRoad or Grp.N rubbers from BBM.

Sign in to follow this