• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
John_B

[engine_work] Dave Walker's Bx Mi Where It Should Be!

John_B

Thought I'd chuck some pics up. I bought Dave Walker's old BX a few months ago. I had a rebuilt Mi in my 205 with a catcam inlet on standard management but one cylinder was losing compression. So the plan is to put the BX engine in for now, fix my low compression engine, put the exhaust catcam in, take the verniers, tbs, and management of Dave's engine and put them on the repaired lump, then reswap it. Dave's engine will then go into one of taffycrooks 205s probably on standard management.

Here's the BX.

BXA.jpg

BXB.jpg

BXC.jpg

John_B

Taffycrook carried out the conversion and I helped by getting in the way and pushing/pulling/lifting at exactly the wrong times. It was a bit of a nightmare conversion. We didn't allow time to add a vacuum takeoff on the manifold but this didn't take too long. What did take too long was messing about with gearboxes. The engine and box were in the car when we realised the arm selector thingy was the long type on the bx and not on the 205. In the process of swapping these the selector thingy kept dislocating in the box and generally being a mare. After ages of fiddling we took the box out and took the casing off, 5th gear etc and did it properly. The gbox was then also a mare to get back on as we believe on the wrong release bearing may have been fitted. Slightly confusing wiring, then a flat battery led to the job taking about three times as long as we thought. But that's the way these things go I suppose.

So a bit of this...........

MuzzB.jpg

Edited by John_B

John_B

Leads to..............

NewMiBay.jpg

In its proper home........

205A.jpg

205B.jpg

Looks slightly better don't you think!

So what's it like to drive? Pretty good. It doesn't have the torque I was expecting low down. I thought after coming from the catcam the std cams and verniers would make it a torque monster but I don't think it is. Shows how good the catcams are I think.

Feels fast at the top end but it's a bit hard to judge because I was driving the car extremely gently for a long time after I found there was a problem with compression. We have a couple of small problems to sort out but we'll be putting it on the rollers soon so we can see how it compares to my old engine.

The throttle bodies sound amazing though!

Edited by John_B

kyepan

badged as a 1.6 nice sleeper

dirtdog

Looks niiiiice. Your only up the road from me aswell mate(im in swansea), I may see you flying around at some point.

I think I remember reading here that..shorter trumpets or shorter inlet..(something along those lines) helps with low down torque..... Don't quote me on that though!

welshpug

poor BX :wacko:

:)

jackherer
poor BX :wacko:

:)

At least it doesn't have to suffer the indignity of wearing a saxo badge any longer.

Emmy Seize
the job taking about three times as long as we thought. But that's the way these things go I suppose.

Exactly, which is why I plan to finish engine projects "on a Saturday afternoon" rather "within a Saturday afternoon". :)

miamistu

No air filter?

Batfink

take pictures of the cars in the background!

tom_m

i'll second that! is that a pair of btcc mondeos???

John_B

i'll second that! is that a pair of btcc mondeos???

I actually thought you were joking about the Suzuki Swift!

Yeah they are both BTCC mondeos.

John_B
poor BX :rolleyes:

The BX was in quite a state so I don't feel bad about it. The suspension was knackered, the MOT tester wouldn't even put it on his ramp! The brakes weren't great or the body. I think it needed a hell of a lot of money spending on it. I may have got something for the interior which was OK but after seeing the grief people get on the BX16V forum I couldn't be arsed so I scrapped it.

Alastairh

ooh, intresting workshop.

Looking good though. i remember seeing that Bx sitting up when i was last up there with Kate and her GTi6 205. Stupidly i never made him an offer, when he said he was going to sell it. DOH

John_B
ooh, intresting workshop.

Looking good though. i remember seeing that Bx sitting up when i was last up there with Kate and her GTi6 205. Stupidly i never made him an offer, when he said he was going to sell it. DOH

If I could have taken a pic with all the cars in you'd have been even more impressed! Although the mondeos are definitely the cream.

When I posted about buying the bx I thought you said you decided not to go for it? What put you off out of interest? I was thinking about getting tbs, verniers and an ecu, and my engine was also sick so it was perfect for me.

pug_ham

Looks like a good project & nice to hear taffycrook is returning to the engine he is known to have in his 205.:P

At least it doesn't have to suffer the indignity of wearing a saxo badge any longer.

Is it not the same badge as found on the ZX16v?

Graham.

welshpug
Looks like a good project & nice to hear taffycrook is returning to the engine he is known to have in his 205.:lol:

Is it not the same badge as found on the ZX16v?

Graham.

Tis indeed

th_PICT0042.jpg

is that Taffycrooks's place or just where he can carry out work?

can I send my CV :P

hexhamstu

swansea/cardiff meet soon, ill be fetching my car from newcastle at somepoint in the next month so we could have a get together as i am new round here.

welshpug

yep, should be getting the PSOOC lot together just outside Bridgend first weekend of next month, anyone welcome :D

taffycrook

BTTC mondeo is not the cream as John_B puts it. Its my 205.

Its not in the pic but its the finest car in the gaff.

130 hp of 8v leaking oiland coolant all over the place. Nice!

Theres ex works xm rally car shell in the background.

Mandic

XM?! Like Citroen XM?

Do You know anything more about it?

Cheers

Ziga

taffycrook

Sorry Mandic it was a typo I was thinking zx typing xm, but its an ex works shell that was picked up for peanuts.

Flared arches and proper cage.

Nothing else came with it but its had some paint, and is now awaiting the rest of the build including a mi16 pushing around 200 bhp.

welshpug
:) that I would love to see, sounds like Group A spec, one step down from a maxi.

Mandic
Sorry Mandic it was a typo I was thinking zx typing xm, but its an ex works shell that was picked up for peanuts.

Flared arches and proper cage.

Nothing else came with it but its had some paint, and is now awaiting the rest of the build including a mi16 pushing around 200 bhp.

Sounds sweet.