• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

The Great Strut Brace Debate

kyepan

So Batfink and I fitted an adjustable OMP, and set it to neutral on Friday lunch time.

Drove to Devon on friday night, drove over Exmoor at a reasonably consistent pace, when it wasn't foggy, or we weren't being harassed by sit down protest sheep or the dreaded stealth cows.

What a difference, mid corner grip is much improved and as it loads up it wasn't under steering, and as things tightened more lock = more grip... also slight undulations did't result in that boing boing bouncy power understeer.

must admit I felt foolish not fitting one before...

We monstered across the moor...

I don't think either.. to get to the point, that it's just for race cars, it really made a good difference to the whole feel of the car at less than challenging speeds, especially in the slower tighter corners.

j

axnutty

Never fitted one to a 205 - you really found it to make a difference?

Wonder why Peugeot didnt do it as standard?

Batfink

we fitted it and drove it round town. the most notable effect I could see was when exiting roundabouts there wasent the usual scrabble for grip it seemed plaqued with before. now I believe justin has 250lb springs but they shouldn't be too stiff for road use.

to be honest I was not expecting to notice anything as a passenger, thinking any bonuses would be transmitted through the steering.

Edited by Batfink

Henry Yorke

I have a top one fitted and it is also an adjustable OMP one. I had one on my XS a long time ago and found that it gave me so much more control and grip on the front, it highlighted that the back end was not so uprated and I had quite a sideways moment at speed because of it! Just be careful as you have only uprated part of the car!!

Also you have to look at how they fit. I have seen some people pit them on and wind them up tight. This will cause damage and undue stress to the front of the shell. It is not a way of gatting negative camber!!

The way to fit them is to put them on lose and wind them out so it is pushing ever so slightly against the strut top bolts. This will now have the effect of welding a solid bar across the strut tops and stop them flexing in undr load, thus giving you a stiffer and more controlled chassis.

Now the next debate is the bottom strutbrace and how much difference they make! I have not fitted one dur to a high instance of speedbumps in Sheffield :blush:

Anulfo

The lower strut brace makes a difference too!!!!

Tom Fenton

Top brace DEFINITELY makes a difference, I fitted one to an otherwise standard car and drove it back to back- I was very suprised at how different it made the car feel.

M_R_205

I fitted one to my origional 1.1 XL and it made that handle better, iv been driving my XS since january and forgot to fit one to it untill july, and i cant belive the diferance it made!!

Super Josh

Don't forget to fit Grp. N strut top mounts too. Don't want the strut tops wallowing around between those nicely stiffened struts :P

Josh

Henry Yorke

Infact this must be the best value for money mod I think you can make on a 205 and is removable too.

DanteICE
The lower strut brace makes a difference too!!!!

What did you find with the lower one, reduced understeer?

skeggyrik

Will a lower one fit with a Mi16 fitted with a Gti-6 sump and the spacer?

Anyone tried?

I've got an OMP upper brace to go on mine when it's done, handy for leaning on when peering under the bonnet

DanteICE
I've got an OMP upper brace to go on mine when it's done, handy for leaning on when peering under the bonnet

So true!

Rippthrough
Now the next debate is the bottom strutbrace and how much difference they make! I have not fitted one dur to a high instance of speedbumps in Sheffield :lol:

I just flatten the speedbumps with mine :P

Sign in to follow this