• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
shearer037

Another Bolt Question...

shearer037

Hi

first post for me... bit of an crap newbie type one i'm afraid

I just replaced my 1.9 205 rear beam and am trying to fix the calipers back on

i can only get the mounting bolts in about half-way with a socket wrench ... pretty sure they're both in straight

what should i do - get someone to drive them in with a power tool? doubt they will ever come out...

Get new bolts?

something else?

Thanks a lot

Leigh

Pugnut

something doesnt sound right? these bolts are usually locktighted meaning they usually arent rusty. i've never seen any that wont go all the way . are these the bolts that go through the sliders? have you checked how far they go through the slider when off the car ? have fitted the strengthening bar between the two bolts ?

Richie-Van-GTi

Hi and welcome.

To start with Id take the calipers out of the equation, hang them to one side and check the bolst are A. going in straight and B. Are the correct thread. It is possible the trailing arms ahve been replaced previously and require a different size pitch on the bolts.

Most likely explanation is the threads are fullo of crud from being stood somewhere and they just need cleaning out a bit first.

shearer037

yep you're right they aren't rusty (the holes might be)

i thought i'd put the disc on backwards or something!... but as far as i can tell it's all in the right place including the plate that connects the two bolts

not sure what you mean by sliders... but they just go directly through the caliper and into a hole on the arm. it appears they could go through to the disc if you screwed far enough

tried to screw in without the caliper just to check, but still very stiff...

guess i should clean the holes and then try again... not sure how i would find the right thread/pitch (if it's wrong)

ta for the help

welshpug

I would start by cleaning both the bolt and bracket threads, its an M12 x 1.5 thread, same bolt as the Bendix front calipers.

shearer037
post-44-1222113105_thumb.jpg

hmmm.. is that a 1.9 gti caliper?

could be missing those sliders but don't think i ever had them

will have to check tomorrow - memory failing me

Pugnut
hmmm.. is that a 1.9 gti caliper?

could be missing those sliders but don't think i ever had them

will have to check tomorrow - memory failing me

yes ,thats 1.9 gti rear calipers. the pad carrier isn't attached which could be throwing you.

Jrod

I had the same problem, I just got a long bar on it and wound them in and out a bit further each time.

A tap would o been ideal as it was just a corroded thread.

Edited by Jrod

Baz

Sounds like as Jrod says, corroded thread, be brave/man up, or clean them out. :blush:

shearer037
Sounds like as Jrod says, corroded thread, be brave/man up, or clean them out. :)

thanks for all this

what can i clean them up with? got some 'plusgas' lube and a wire brush...

my second problem is retracting the rear brake piston. i can't find a post about this...

i borrowed a screw type wind-back tool which doesn't seem to fit

do i need a tool? I've taken the brake fluid cap off but haven't opened the bleed nipples or anything

thanks again

Leigh

timmsy19

no "tool" as such needed.

flat head screwdriver is what i use and just rotate the piston back in

Sign in to follow this