• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
platty

Xsara Vts To 205 Wiring

platty

Ok, I've had a poke around today both on the car and on the forum. I've come up with the following list from a reply that Spiky made to another thread, and can confirm the Xsara loom corresponds. However, I have found 2 extra wires on the Xsara loom.

410 - ?? Cable is white

BB1 0r 331 Cable is Purple. Numbering is VERY hard to make out.

1200 - fuel pump

141 - diagnostic socket

822 - antistart

465 - speedometer

140 - diagnostic socket

123 - fuel pump

220 - reverse driving light

1072 - charging light

415 - oil level indicator

820 - antistart

808 - aircon ?

426 - tacho

c02j - switched 12+

cc4 - switched 12+

401 - coolant temp dial

480 - warning light engine management

821 - antistart

414 - oil level indicator

C12 - switched 12+

100 - starter

bb2 - 12+(thick brown wire)

So my questions are:-

1. Can anyone identify the two wires?

2. 2 oil level sensor's, I assume one can be used for Oil Pressure?

3. Antistart and Diagnostic cables need not connecting?

Edited by platty

platty

Also, can someone cast their expert eye over the following?

205 Wiring....................................................Xsara Wiring

9 Pin Multiplug

52 Revese Light Switch>>-------------------<< 220 Reverse Light

53 Revese Light Switch>>-------------------<< 220 Reverse Light

47 Coolant Temp Switch>>------------------<< ??????

47A Coolant Temp Gauge>>----------------<< 401 Water Temp

7A Alternator Warning Light>>-------------<< 1072 Charge Light

30 Oil Temp Stop Light>>--------------------<< ??????

30A Oil Pressure Gauge>>-------------------<< ?414 or 415?

30B Oil Temp Gauge>>-----------------------<< ?414 or 415?

32A+2A Tachy Relay + Switched Live>>--<< C02J, CC4, C12 Switched +12v

6 Pin Multiplug

No Cable

76 Fuel Pump>>-------------------------------<< 1200 Fuel Pump

Earth/Ground

112B Tacho Feed>>--------------------------<< 426 Tacho Feed

No Cable

46B Starter Solenoid>>----------------------<< 100 Starter

BB2 Perm 12V>>------------------------------<<Fusebox

pug_ham

You don't really need to change anything of the guage wires by splicing them into the Xsara loom but its your choice but afaik the Xsara will have a twin pin water temp sender & temp switch so you'll just need to find which pin doe swhat & connect them up in the right order. TB its often easier & better to leave the 205 brown multiplug looms alone except for improving any connections through it or renewing wires as needed so the only wire you need to join into the Xsara loom is wire 2A from the 9 pin plug.

Also AFAIK the wire 2A only needs to be connected to one pin on the double relay & the rest of the connections are dealt with from there in the loom.

The wires for the 6 pin plug look OK though.

Not sure what you mean by BB2 but if its the one I think you mean it shuld be connected to the shunt box or as used on the 306 GTi-6 looms they are connected to the alternator positive connection by a ring terminal.

Graham.

jonnie205

i would ditch the old brown plug 205 sensor loom and wiring, it old and does not fit the gti6 engine properly, best to splice the wiring straight to xsara loom, i pull both brown mutiplugs from 205 back through from by column to fuse box, then run wires out if bulhead behind batter and connet wires there. Seems no point in going from fuse box accross dash then back out of bulkhead by exhaust then back up to behind battery. I would blank off existing 8v loom hole in bulkhead and wire straight out of where i said. You can also cut back to fresh wire as there will be loads and loads of length in 205 loom

platty

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Graham,

I see your point regarding the sensor side of things. It would make life easier to pull the old cabling through the bulkhead and run to the relevant sensors. Im an awkward bugger though, as the Xsara is going to the scrapheap in the sky, I have the otherside of the large multiplug + wiring, so was planning on making the wiring look fairly factory in the engine bay(I can see this causing me a few headaches tracing cables).

Photo-0013-1.jpg

My mistake with BB2(BB1 on the GTI-6), it is on the Xsara side of the loom, not the 205 side. I should have stated, im planning on making all the connections in the passenger footwell, and then through the bulkhead with the factory connection, which is what your suggesting Jonnie? In which case, is it best to come off of the fusebox instead of the shunt box?

Looking throught the list of cables and there purposes, im starting to think the 2 spare wires have no real effect on the running of the engine. I'll see if I can buzz them out tomorrow.

welshpug

I wouldnt want to use that connector, it just adds a common failure point into the loom, whereas the most common way to wire them up leaves most if not all connections inside the car.

platty

Are you saying its better to cut off the big multiplug and feed the loom into the footwell for the connections to be made?

I suppose the fewer mechanical connections you have, the better the circuit continuity.

jonnie205

pull the 205 loom through bulkehead and connect wires behind battery, xsara loom will not be long enough to go through bulkhead

platty

Sorry for the questions, im sure this gets very frustrating for you all.

Ive been out connecting up, and suddenly thought, the Tachymetric relay! Ive given it a swithced feed from 2A, the thick brown (perm +12v?) Ive run to the fusebox, the green and yellow is earth. Im left with a thin blue, and a sheilded turquoise, which I believe used to run to the coil? Where do I connect these now?

Tachymetric.jpg

Also I have 2 fuel pump cables identified on the Xsara loom, 1200 and 123. Im going to connected 1200 to one of the white tachymetric relay wires, then through the relay and out to wire 76 from the brown 6 pin multiplug(multiplugs are being discarded) I believe this to be correct. What happens to 123 though?

Also the shuntbox.......can anyone explain what its purpose is? In my haste, I stripped it all out, and never really paid to much attention as to what it was doing. Is it now 'removeable'?

Cheers

Mark

taylorspug

You dont need the tachy relay in there at all, the Xsara loom is standalone, all it needs is permanent and switched lives to the double relay in the loom, and then the fuel pump wire needs connecting directly to the live feed on the pump, as the live for the pump is provided through the xsara ECU/double relay.

Have that tachy relay and all its wiring out, its not needed!

EDIT: The shunt box is one of the places where you can connect the permanent live for the Xsara loom. It also connects up wiring for the entire electrical system on the car, so you will need it!

Edited by taylorspug

platty

Marvellous, that makes sense. I'll get it out tomorrow afternoon.

Sign in to follow this