• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mechanicalrepairs

[car_upgrade] Project Miami Blue 205 Gti6

mechanicalrepairs

Well as of today she is more or less done, all the hard work has payed off and i took it up and down the street where the unit is, it certainly feels quick! Will be waiting for the nicer weather before it comes out to play all the time, will be taking it to a few shows etc (thats if the rear of it doesnt let the front down, that will be this years winter project come october).

Thanks for all the comments along the way, most good a few not happy that i messed with a last of the line 1.9 205.

Fitted my new wheels today, sorted out a few hoses and cables where they needed to be re routed and generaly tidied her up. Just need to sort out an air filter.

A few pictures of her as she stands today-

205gti6007.jpg

205gti6002.jpg

205gti6003.jpg

205gti6001.jpg

205gti6009.jpg

205gti6005.jpg

205gti6006.jpg

205gti6008.jpg

The wheels which i think make the car look stunning-

205gti6010.jpg

Many thanks to everyone who helped me along the way with tips and hints as to what helped the conversion. Especially my painter for all the help making the bay look as smart as it does.

Heres to a nice standard looking toy in the garage next to it brother my rallye.

Carl

marksorrento205

Looks the dogs nob mate. The wheels realy suit the car. Nice one!!

Slippy

Looks the canines cock mate though I'm not sure the colour of the wheels suit a Miami Blue car

j_turnell

Looks fantastic mate! Great attention to detail. You considered dropping it a few mm, or you keeping the suspension stock?

supersub14

yeah id drop he a few mm if i was you :wub:

mechanicalrepairs

Its on coil overs so i could drop it easily enough, i wanted to leave it looking stock but to be honest the coil overs are a bit harsh and i may end up ditching them and putting standard shocks back on it.

I have a stadard 1.6 gti and that drives beatifull and this one although drives great is not as comfortable.

Not really driven it for any length of time yet, i can imagine it has only done half a mile since it has been built.

Carl

stee 1FM

that looks very nice and tidy. it's the 205 that peugeot should of built.

be great to bring it to the leicester psooc meets, and we could admire your super job.

well when the weather picks up anyway;-)

stee1fm

Ryan_B

Gorgeous example there fella. I also think a little mm or two lower at the front but your workmanship is stunning!! Well done..

Ryan

24seven

Looks absolutely fantastic Carl! I wish I had the time/patience/resourcefulness to put that kind of effort into either of my cars.

Henry Yorke

I look forward to seeing this in the flesh at some Leics meets if you bring it. That will be the 3rd L plate mint Miami Blue after Martyns and that other chap with the custom trimmed interior (sorry, I have forgot your name!!)

mechanicalrepairs

Aded this to my website now cgcarsleicester.co.uk and gave this site a mention due to all the help i received, still not been out in it properley yet, think i will get it taxed in april and run it for the summer.

Might pop down to the local meets if i can find you all.

Carl

• Like 1

CaptainK
Might pop down to the local meets if i can find you all.

Bring it down to Exeter so it can meet its close relative - my L reg 205 Gti6. :D

mechanicalrepairs

Well today I decided to dig the old girl out and carry on from where I left off, the car from the a post forward is mint as all this has been rebuilt and refreshed as you can see, a post back, whilst is great to look at on top the underside could do with a refresh.

I got to the garage and found the battery flat as can be expected and the drivers front tyre was flat, I got it started and up onto the truck, it's now at the painters for a few bits and pieces.

I decided to buy the later style tailgate without the plastic at the bottom as I feel it looks a lot cleaner, the front grill has faded over time so that's being repainted and also the rear valence just behind the rear wheels has been all stone chipped and is showing the white plastic which looks a bit naff.

Whilst trying to get the rear bumper off the brackets where all seized and manky, after a few squirts of wd40 and a twist forward and back I finally got all the bumper off and valence separated, I have now seen bits and pieces I am not happy with so it looks like its going to get the underside resto I was planning to do a little sooner, it's not bad it just looks like a 20 year old peugeot underneath.:lol

I have a dilemma thought, I managed to damage the rear bumper red insert, does anyone have one they are looking to sell, plus all my plastic wheel arch trims etc and p**sing me off, I was having a chat with my painter and I have been toying with the idea of plastic priming them and getting them painted, what's people's thoughts on this? At the minute they are all a different colour and on some the texture even looks different, I was thinking going body colour or black, maybe even anthracite?

Carl

• Like 1

Robbiedundy

Try using plasticare on some of the trims more than others to bring them to match? The front bumper on my GTi is cracked, so I'm gonna replace it but I've only got a darker coloured one but it should match eventually :)

mechanicalrepairs
Try using plasticare on some of the trims more than others to bring them to match? The front bumper on my GTi is cracked, so I'm gonna replace it but I've only got a darker coloured one but it should match eventually :)

I did get some plasticare off of eBay and have given it a bash but I still wasn't completely happy with the results so going to try the painted looks, if its no good I can always revert back.

Thanks for the tip though.

Carl

mechanicalrepairs

Well started stripping the old girl today, removing the rear bumper was a bugger, as you can imagine, the brackets etc are rusty, I got away with snapping one bolt, behind the bumper is clean though.

2F6EDCC4-F1E2-477A-ACF1-754F79080022-387

This is what the brackets looked like, pretty manky, these have been removed and will be shot blasted and zinc coated.

6B62A8BA-14F5-488F-9B3A-10D0A5004D50-387

Decided to paint the trim in anthracite, I know this will not be to most people's taste but I am sick of treating the plastics every time a see the car as they fade to a grey, thing is some bits come back black and others just go darker

565E3D4A-EC74-4EC6-9EC0-0DF1EB61D19A-387

Next was removing the side mouldings, I was trying to save the good red mouldings but a couple got damaged, I found the front wing inserts a bugger to remove, one came off ok, the other well was a bit bent, how the car looked with out the trims on, still not bad, no rust which is a relief.

7B785520-376F-4F59-8267-2963FF7E224F-387

May wipe over these areas and give them a coat of polish.

Here's a last look of them in the faded black, these will be flatted back then plastic primed, going to go smooth With the finished look so need to remove the dimples etc.

53C38EDA-DD27-4735-8D87-408DAD9A0880-387

Started stripping a few bits from the under side, mainly the exhaust heat shields, going to get these shot blasted and repainted in silver, underneath is very good apart from the rear most part of the boot floor, it's not bad but flaky as it meets the back panel.

Too be continued...

Carl

Robbiedundy

I did get some plasticare off of eBay and have given it a bash but I still wasn't completely happy with the results so going to try the painted looks, if its no good I can always revert back.

Ah fair enough :) Looking forward to see how the painted bumper looks!

mechanicalrepairs

Well all my stripped bits removed I took a few bits to the shot blasters to remove most of the corrosion on them ready to be sent to the platers to have them zinc coated.

7D353BF3-ADEC-4640-81BB-40FC2B2A938E-529

Couple of other car parts in there if the geeks amongst you can tell (cosworth)

Here's one exhaust hanger I left out the blasters batch by mistake, take ages with a wire wheel and brick acid.

19B84B99-26F2-4496-8522-CD1DD00CD97C-529

Hopefully get the bits back Monday. All these bits I get back wont be going on until I have removed everything from the underside to repainted the floor.

All the trims are in primer now so not long till these will be painted.

Carl

mechanicalrepairs

Painted the trims in the special plastic primer

D8552E87-927F-4FF6-ACA2-767B5CD331A2-636

The tail gate although from a newer car has a few little dents, I removed the glass as it has a chassis number etched to it which obviously will be no good, Bronze tinted glass is £280+vat :o

A1FCC261-9232-4FE0-B9E2-0AA892584619-636

Just got to wait now till the paint is applied as the tailgate is edge to edge to the rear quarters and the roof so just hope the colour has been tinted correctly.

Parked the car up and let it run for a bit, got all my replacement red inserts, these are getting hard to find now especially the rear bumper one.

F803BD11-E0D7-4A8F-926D-CEFF7FD84D29-741

As it stands, sounds quite fruity with no back box, this is removed as all the brackets to support it up have been removed to be re plated.

Carl

welshpug

which joker quoted £280 for the glass? Peugeot only want £110 :lol:

mechanicalrepairs
which joker quoted £280 for the glass? Peugeot only want £110 :lol:

That was robins and day, it's shown as available, when you order it its a different matter.

Carl

mechanicalrepairs

Well at about 11 today this is what I saw when I looked through the painters glass doors-

7560C78C-651B-4ABA-9138-C0DBBA931AD9-117

Then once touch dry, it was nice and cosy in the booth, about 50 degrees.

F996A7C0-1521-483B-AFE6-5EAE5C297043-117

Plus I got my zinc plated bits back.

D4B0F50A-F75C-4E2C-B3A2-8C94AB21DF7F-117

Robbiedundy

Was the glass in the tailgate hard to remove? I've gotta do it on mine to get ready for respray and I'm not sure what to do :wacko:

Robbie.

mechanicalrepairs
Was the glass in the tailgate hard to remove? I've gotta do it on mine to get ready for respray and I'm not sure what to do :wacko:

Robbie.

I got a screen company to do it, far less hassle that way, cost me £20. As with everything, I am sure it's easy when you know how, the exterior seal is removable then the glass itself is bonded in, that's the issue.

Carl

Robbiedundy

Oh okay, thanks for the help :)

Robbie.