• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rsbutch

Clonking On Back End ?

rsbutch

on very hard cornerning sounds like the exh banging could be but dont look like it is there a common prob?ie axel mounts etc?

regards tim thanks in advance 205 1.9 gti is the car.

welshpug

check the spare wheel <_<

rsbutch

YEAH THOUGHT THAT 2 ups caps lock theres nothin under there all stripped out for track and very low its a new car to me so im a bit novice at these cars thanks for the reply .

tim

Tom Fenton

Get it jacked up and have a good look round, check for any play in the rear trailing arms, check rear beam mountings also.

rsbutch

looks like nearside rear arm are they hard to do?

Tom Fenton

Unfortunately they can be quite involved to sort out. The arm has a shaft pressed into it, this shaft runs in needle roller bearings inside the main rear beam cross tube. First thing you need to do is dismantle the side that has play in, this means extracting the torsion bar and also removing the anti roll bar end plate. Once this is done you can then pull the trailing arm out to see what is the cause of the play. Usually it will be that the shaft and bearings are worn. To put it right you then need to extract the inner and outer bearings from the cross tube and replace with new, assuming the tube itself isn't worn out, and then press the old worn shaft from the trailing arm and press in a new one. All in all a bit of a bugger.

Have a read of this topic - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...mp;hl=rear+beam

This is when I repaired the rear beam on my own car a few months ago, the pictures should help what I have written above make a bit more sense!

rsbutch

cheers tom, much appreciated,but well worth the aggro to sort it im sure ,let you know how i get on

regards tim

Tom Fenton

No probs. I'm not a million miles away if you get stuck.

rsbutch

cheers grand offer pal thanks, off to ibiza for a week so its stopin till i return i shall read up on what u ahve told me

tim

Baz

Check the rear beam is done up tight, & shock bolts are tight, and that they're the right way round too, head of the bolt in the recess in the trailing arm, nut on the inside.

Edited by Baz

rsbutch

its deffo the radius arm as there is play where it enters the axle, so i will look ou for either a good 205 or 309 axle and replace it with that then repair this 1 as a spare less i wont be out of action for long so if anyone has 1 let me know

regards tim

p.s thanks guys for all the help so far

;)

rsbutch

appears to be both radius arms so i recon its easyier to source an axle complete and swap it over ,anyone got 1 lol

cheers tim

Tom Fenton

Unfortunately most second hand beams unless rebuilt are fcuked as well. To find a good one it needs to have been rebuilt not so long ago these days. Good luck looking but I think you will probably struggle I'm afraid.

rsbutch

yeah your right tom i ordered an uprated rebuild axle from coventry all in £250 exchange which after lookin at the bits seems ok gonna pick it up after i get back from spain in a week ,thanks for the help anyway

tim

Sign in to follow this