• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stutto

Diesel Battery And Behind Headlight Induction Kit

stutto

As topic, has anyone fitted an induction kit behind the headlight with a diesel battery and did anything have to be relocated?

(I had starting issues a while back so when I fitted a diesel starter I also changed to a diesel battery, car is a 1.9 8v)

Thanks in advance,

Chris.

welshpug

I removed the AFM bracket from behind the battery to allow it to fit a touch further back.

Stu

I kind of have, but i relocated my battery to the boot at the same time.

th_engbaypic.jpg

th_batbox001.jpg

dirtdog

you should be able to get the battery in that space easy enough judging by that picture. is it a good flow of air behind headlight or were you just limited to where you could put it?

stutto

Thanks welshpug and Stu.

The support bracket on my filter can has cracked, filter is just about due for replacement and I fancy some induction noise before anyone 'tut-tut's to themselves too much.

tom_m

i had a diesel battery in the engine bay fine with a k&n on my 8v.

Baz

I have one fitted atm 065 as opposed to an 063 iirc.

pug_ham

A diesel battery(065) isn't that much bigger than the standard battery (063), I had both fitted on my car with the Ramair filter (15cm dia) but I pushed the battery as afar back on the tray as possible & removed any brackets it caught until the front edge of the battery was level with the front of the tray.

Graham.

stutto

Ta for further replies, but more questions - I am afraid:

Did everyone zip tie the fuse box under the slam panel as recommended by K&N?

Has anyone modified the original scoop to direct more air toward the filter?

pug_ham
Did everyone zip tie the fuse box under the slam panel as recommended by K&N?

I'm not running a K&N type kit as my car doesn't have an AFM but even when I was I didn't need to move the shunt box (fusebox) but if you have the PAS bracket then you might need to reposuition it or get a non pas bracket which sits the shunt box inline with the edge of the slam / headlamp panel.

Has anyone modified the original scoop to direct more air toward the filter?

No, I haven't anyway.

Graham.

Stu

I moved the shuntbox on mine, mainly because i wanted to run the AFM in the correct position, and wouldnt fit with the box in the way. Ill get you a pic later mate.

stutto

It is on, but it needs some tweaking:

1) L shaped bracket - no way on earth without modification that I could have used this with all four bolts (two on battery tray and two on AFM) as it stands I have the one that holds the battery down and the upper one on the AFM in place.

2) Cabling around the cone - a lot of conduit around there, needs some organisation to give more clearance around the cone.

3) Cold air feed - by the time the rest was done it was just too dark to sort this properly, at the moment it runs from the original scoop position to next to the battery. In retropect my idea to modify the original scoop was not realistic about the amount of space under there, once the AFM goes in there is not much room left.

4) Shunt box - just tucked under slam panel at the moment although once it is off the bracket the remains of the bracket can be refitted to original position. Is this pointless /counterproductive? There was no way it could stay on the bracket - especially as the fused port (of the pair) was the one furthest into the engine bay. I think it is the same bracket as the one in 'Engine Layout Expalined' by Eddy5 on the main site, although it is hard to tell as the mounting points of the bracket are not visible in that photo.

I didn't order but I got the the PAS kit, I presume that it is the same but with the extra bits for relocating the PAS fluid reservoir.

SurGie
A diesel battery(065) isn't that much bigger than the standard battery (063), I had both fitted on my car with the Ramair filter (15cm dia) but I pushed the battery as afar back on the tray as possible & removed any brackets it caught until the front edge of the battery was level with the front of the tray.

Graham.

Hi, what advantages do you get having a diesel battery on a 205?

Baz

Not loads, just what you'd expect from using a bigger battery, a few more CCA's (cold cranking amperes) etc...

SurGie
Not loads, just what you'd expect from using a bigger battery, a few more CCA's (cold cranking amperes) etc...

Oh right ok, with it being heavier too will help when in the boot for more weight distribution. :P

pug_ham

As Baz says, just better cold start cranking & nothing else really.

Oh right ok, with it being heavier too will help when in the boot for more weight distribution. :P

If its going into to a stripped out track car there isn't really anything to gain from using a diesel battery, in fact with the amount of electrical stuff you can remove the standard GTi battery would more than suffice imo. Thats all I've got on my car now but only because the diesel battery developed a dead cell & I had a standard GTi on spare so I used that ratehr than buying a new battery.

Graham.

Sign in to follow this