• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
brian j

Heater Fan Blows But No Air Comes Out

brian j

I have a problem with my heater fan.

The fan itself works fine on all speeds (I have pulled it out to check) and I can hear the air moving but virtually none comes out of any of the vents.

The knob to change which vents the air comes out of (Face, feet, screen) seems to work fine because it changes which vents the very little comes out of.

It feels like a bit more air flows when the temperature dial is on hot than when it is on cold (it is still rubbish though) and the temperature knob does work.

Any ideas where I can look next please?

I am hoping not to have to rip the dash out to dismantle the heater box.

Thanks.

Edp

Sounds like the heater matrix to me as this is what makes the heat. My brothers went in his golf and he had no hot air. Definitely worth a look IMO.

GTI6BOY

is the fan spinning proper fast or quite slow? if its slow you need to clean the resistor if its fast you might have the fan cables the wrong way round...mine were

lemmingzappa
Sounds like the heater matrix to me as this is what makes the heat. My brothers went in his golf and he had no hot air. Definitely worth a look IMO.

It sounds like he's not getting any air flow though, if it was the part that heats the air that was broken he'd most likely still have air blowing out of the vents.

brian j
It sounds like he's not getting any air flow though, if it was the part that heats the air that was broken he'd most likely still have air blowing out of the vents.

Indeed so. The fan spins proper fast and it is turning the right way. when it is out of the dash (but still plugged in) the airflow is impressive. More air comes out of the vents on HOT than Cold, so I doubt that it's a blocked heater matrix, otherwise I'd get plenty of cold air flow and little hot.

Tom Fenton

Have you checked that the inlet to the fan is clear? It takes its air from up under the scuttle panel beneath the windscreen.

brian j
Have you checked that the inlet to the fan is clear? It takes its air from up under the scuttle panel beneath the windscreen.

I did poke my hear under there and look up with a torch, without seeing any blockage, but I don't know if you can see everything from below. I'll look properly later...

Sign in to follow this