• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dch1950

Rear Hub Bearings

dch1950

Hi all,

I have bought a couple of kits to do my rear hub/drum bearings.

The only thing that is niggling me is the difference between my old bearings (a pair of taper roller bearings with the inner pressed into the hub (see front 2 bearings of attached piccy) and the new one which seems to be all in one piece. The overall measurements seem Ok as far as I can tell. The service box schematic doesn't look either of these though.

So can anyone put my mind at rest?

regards

Dave.

PS

That's a bit of last nights curry on the right.

CosKev

Pretty sure you have got the wrong bearings there m8 :(

The seat that the taper type bearing sits up to inside the drum will not allow the all in one bearing to be pressed in surely??? :excl:

gazzamec

looks like a 1.9 hub bearing to me too

Jrod

Have you removed all of the old bearing?

dch1950

Hi again,

No,I haven't pulled/knocked out the inner race yet. These kits are produced by factors (Falcon Motor spares) and are supposed to be the equivalent of The QH bearing kit in the pinned list.I must admit though they look horribly like a front hub kit though.

I'll have to contact them. If no joy it looks like I have a set of new bearings for sale.

thanx guys.

Dave

dch1950
Have you removed all of the old bearing?

I've been looking at the hub in some detail and it looks to me as if the inner race (which has a double bevel) is fixed.

Indeed any attempt to knock out or pull it using a socket/rod etc has failed miserably.

So I certainly think I have the wrong kit (despite it's claim to be an QH503L equivalent). I'm currently talking to a a guy at "Midland Bearings Ltd" about sourcing just the taper roller bearings.

regards

Dave.

Rob Thomson

I've recently fitted new drums and bearings to my 1.6 GTi. The bearings were the one-piece type, both old and new.

dch1950
I've recently fitted new drums and bearings to my 1.6 GTi. The bearings were the one-piece type, both old and new.

Hi Rob,

What were the kit numbers you used.?

I'm really puzzled now - Does any body have the dimensions for these bearings. I knew that the PH1 drums had fixed bearings i.e you replaced the complete drum bearing and all. Why is there such a diversity here ? Part no's don't seem to mean anything at all as we only have a list of pattern part manufacturers kits and as I've already got a pair of those that are useless I'm concerned. If you go to the SKF site the individual bearing no's shown in the pinned list don't exist.

How come people in this thread think they're the wrong ones ?

Service box is no help either.

regards

Dave

PS soz - I went off on one there.

Jrod

Afaik they all have one piece bearings, they come apart like above though but thats usually mean they are knackered.

Ahl

As above, I replaced one of these recently and it was all one piece (with pre-loaded taper roller bearings inside).

I'm pretty sure that inner race needs to be knocked out, though I did it on a press cos I'm lazy.

welshpug

without confirming part numbers I can't be 100% certain, but it looks like the right bearing for a 1.6 rear drum/hub, you just need to press/drift out the outer bearing race and press in the new one.

If you haven't got access to a press I would take it to a garage to get done as you risk damaging the bearings if you drift them in.

dch1950
without confirming part numbers I can't be 100% certain, but it looks like the right bearing for a 1.6 rear drum/hub, you just need to press/drift out the outer bearing race and press in the new one.

If you haven't got access to a press I would take it to a garage to get done as you risk damaging the bearings if you drift them in.

Hi,

I have kits which the labelling says that they are as "QWB503L" the quinton Hazell kit pinned at the head of this sub-topic.

I cant pull or drift out the current inner race - it just doesn't want to budge. Does any body have the dimensions of this bearing(s) as trying to get information out of SKF is useless. I have been in touch with Midland Bearing Ltd, but even they are reluctant to give me the actual dimemsions.I'm a great believer in Not beliving the parts database (it's wrong an awful lot of times particularly in the area of brakes and brake pipes). They will sell me a kit (yet another one that could be wrong)

and they say that this bearing is a special unique to Peugeot (yeh right - trying to justify more than £40 per side !). They do confirm that the bearing number off the 2 taper bearing in my photo above are the same as the bearing in the kit though.

Unfortunately this is not same as the pinned list - that is to say the SKF 455939CC. It is actually a Powerdrive 4455398A.!

To further complicate things the new one-part bearing shown contains ball bearings (ie it's a parallel or straight race) and the ones I removed (partially at least) are obviously Taper,needle rollers. Load distribution MUST different surely, and when I drop it into the hub just to do a quick initial fit check (even with the old inner still in there) it seems to be too small.It measures at 52mm O/D.It's just possible that the outer part of the machining is belled a bit to enable bearing location but I don't know for sure.

Any road up, I'm still hoping that inspiration will strike and all will be resolved - That's it for now.

regards

Dave.

welshpug

the bearing will seem loose as the outer part of the hub is machined a touch larger.

not surprised you cant drift the old outer race out, several I've pressed out recently have needed 6 tons of pressure to crack the seal, and 1-2 to keep them moving, that's as much pressure as I've applied to trailing arm shafts!

have you removed the circlip.....

welshpug

peugeot's part number is 3748 39 for the kit (bearing, nut, washer, circlip, seal, seal carrier + dust cover)

3748 17 is the part number for the bearing on its own.

you shouldn't have any problems obtaining them as they were used on the 106, 205, 309, 206 and 306 (as well as Citroen's)

Ahl

You can get them in Halfords too, handy even if you just want to check the type.

The last one I got was an SKF bearing in a Halfords kit. I don't have the SKF part number to hand, though I did write it down somewhere...

dch1950

HI w/pug

No I didn't forget the ciclip.

I suspected the the housing was slightly belled-but you have confirmed that, good.

Will check out the alternates from Pug and Halfrauds.

Thanks for your help everyone.

regards

Dave.

dch1950

Hi again,

the pug bearing isn't that cheap is it £61.36 per side. Kit is £58.37 - Bl**dy Hell.

Dave.

welshpug

yep!! that's why I buy them from GSF.

N41304 WHEEL BEARING-REAR 205 1.6GTi/DIESEL £11.75

:rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this