• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Painting The Shell After Seam Welding

philfingers

After I've finished the seamwelding and mods to the bulkhead (Mi16) what's the best mthod of applying paint.

I was thinking a buff down to bare metal (over the welded areas only), brush on some etch primer, then spray with aerosol cans. Whilst I have a compressor I don't wnat the mess.

Overall I don't want any rust coming through, which i know isn't so easy after welding but it's a competition car and needs to be done.

Phil

Paintguy

That sounds like a good plan :D

You may want to take the extra step of using a brush on seam sealer (like Grey Stripe) on any seams, just to prevent any possibility of leaks, or water getting trapped in them and causing future rust.

Edited by Paintguy

gazzamec

clean the welds thoroughly with a drill mounted wire brush and then seam sealer them (grey stripe is bloody great), you can go from there with etch-primer-paint as usual.

philfingers

where do I go for this Grye Stripe sealer? Any recommendations on the etch primer. I do have a compressor, tho never sprayed with it. What dsort of paint should I get if I'm going to paint it with a gun? And how much would I need for the engine bay and the inside floor pan?

Jawel Paints are local to me in the Midlands. Are they any good or is there somewhere better?

Sorry I have no clue when it comes to paint!

Phil

gazzamec

jawel is where i get all my paints from as they still stock 2k, just off spaghetti junction.

you may need over a litre to do the bay AND the floorpan, its not that cheap but the result is good, as for seam sealer everywhere does it.

its worth going down to jawel and having a chat to the guy there, he knows his stuff and will advise you on the best stuff to use with limited skills.

philfingers
jawel is where i get all my paints from as they still stock 2k, just off spaghetti junction.

you may need over a litre to do the bay AND the floorpan, its not that cheap but the result is good, as for seam sealer everywhere does it.

its worth going down to jawel and having a chat to the guy there, he knows his stuff and will advise you on the best stuff to use with limited skills.

I use the one in Bromsgrove as it's on the way back from work but they don't carry a lot of stock. I'll try and pop up the w/e. Was hoping to hav it done by then but not looking that way!

Phil

Sign in to follow this