• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Alan_M

1.9 Girling Calipers

Alan_M

Do the standard 14" pepperpots fit over 1.9 calipers on 1.6 hubs?

Peetypug

dont think the 1.9 calipers fit the 1.6 hubs

but if i'm wrong sorry :(

Anthony

They fit fine Alan if you're using 1.6 hubs - it can be problematic with base model hubs though due to the reduced offset.

dont think the 1.9 calipers fit the 1.6 hubs

but if i'm wrong sorry :(

They fit fine - you just use 1.6 disks

Peetypug

ooops :lol::(

j_turnell

Also using this setup on my 1.6 no problems :(

Tom Fenton

Interesting; I was thinking of doing this but the concensus of opinion was that clearance was a bit hit and miss, and that the Speedline 1600 wheels cleared, but the SMRs did not.

Anthony
Interesting; I was thinking of doing this but the concensus of opinion was that clearance was a bit hit and miss, and that the Speedline 1600 wheels cleared, but the SMRs did not.

AFAIK that's only an issue using base model or 1.9 hubs, the offset of which means that the inside of the wheel sits closer to the calipers.

Certainly I've personally had both Speedline and SMR 1.6 wheels fitted onto 1.6 hub/disk and 1.9 caliper combinations without issue.

Alan_M
They fit fine Alan if you're using 1.6 hubs - it can be problematic with base model hubs though due to the reduced offset.

They fit fine - you just use 1.6 disks

Can you confirm if thats what the green pile of crap outside my house is on? I remember you buggering around with the brakes, did you change the hubs too?

(Come to think of it, I'm sure they are 1.6 shafts but just checking)

Reason being is that I need the set of 1.9 wheels for the red 205 (I've got the graphite wheels on my blue one, hence swopped my Speedlines to the red one which I don't want to let go when its for sale) and replacement 1.6 wheels are cheaper :(

Anthony
Can you confirm if thats what the green pile of crap outside my house is on? I remember you buggering around with the brakes, did you change the hubs too?

I think that I've already swapped it to 1.9 calipers haven't I, because the original 1.6 stuff was dire?

It's been a year since I touched that car though, so I wouldn't like to trust my memory on what hubs it was on - should be obvious enough just by looking at the front brake disk, as 1.6 disks are visably more offset than 1.9 ones.

On the subject of that 205 btw - do you still want that bonnet for it that's been sat in my garage for over a year now?

luggy
AFAIK that's only an issue using base model or 1.9 hubs, the offset of which means that the inside of the wheel sits closer to the calipers.

1.6 pepperpots can be utilised with 1.9 hubs,disks and calipers with careful manipulation of the caliper carrier with a grinder. :(

Ethos

What about 1.6 pepperpots with 1.6 hubs/discs and just 1.9 calipers? :)

welshpug

Hit and miss, the speedline branded ones are most likely to clear, along with part worn pads!

Anthony
What about 1.6 pepperpots with 1.6 hubs/discs and just 1.9 calipers? :rolleyes:

As I said earlier, it's absolutely fine and there's plenty of clearance - I'm running this combination on my XS, having swapped it to 1.6 hubs/disks and 1.9 calipers

Ethos

Cool thanks mate.

Going to try some 1.9 calipers on the 205. It nearly failed the MOT due to imbalance so I guess the 1.6 calipers are up the chuffer :rolleyes:

jengis

I've been informed that you need to use the caliper mounting bolts from the 1.9 too. This upgrade is next on my list as well.

Ethos

Yeah, I think the 1.6 bolts are too long iirc?

1.6 discs at halfords are £16 trade, so going to upgrade them, pads and whack some 1.9 calipers on. Hopefully it'll make a noticeable difference.

Anthony
I've been informed that you need to use the caliper mounting bolts from the 1.9 too. This upgrade is next on my list as well.

That's correct. Bendix bolts are far far too long for Girling calipers.

Chris_Mi
That's correct. Bendix bolts are far far too long for Girling calipers.

Just to confirm what Anthony said - that's exactly the setup that I have got on my car now:

1.6 hubs, 1.6 disks, 1.9 calipers.

You will need the shorter 1.9 caliper bolts

Mine is well clear on both pepperpot smrs and pepperpot speedlines

BTW - once the Girlings were on and fully bled, they were a million times better than the old 1.6 Bendix calipers (and no more knocking noises!)

Edited by Chris_Mi

Ethos

That's good to know, thanks Chris.

shalmaneser
Just to confirm what Anthony said - that's exactly the setup that I have got on my car now:

1.6 hubs, 1.6 disks, 1.9 calipers.

You will need the shorter 1.9 caliper bolts

Mine is well clear on both pepperpot smrs and pepperpot speedlines

BTW - once the Girlings were on and fully bled, they were a million times better than the old 1.6 Bendix calipers (and no more knocking noises!)

Just confirming this was the case with me too. My setup: 1.6 hubs, 1.6 discs, 1.9 brakes. 1.6 flexis are fine too. 1.9 bolts.

Plenty of clearance with both SMRs and Speedlines.

brakes feel tons better, and no clunking in reverse too!

Ethos

Did you guys bother rebuilding the calipers at all before using them?

Chris_Mi
Did you guys bother rebuilding the calipers at all before using them?

I didn't bother as they had been rebuilt by the chap I bought them off, before somebody kindly wrote off his car :)

shalmaneser

I didn't either, 1.9 calis are a lot more robust that the 1.6 ones. Probably worth doing it at some point though, It's only like £5 for the seals from Big Red.

EdCherry

£20.20 for the front axle on a 1.6 setup. I really dont see how 1.9 calipers are a lot more robust than 1.6 ones other than the difference in material's used. They are still getting on for age (15+) and need some TLC if you expect to get some real decent braking from them. Ethos, give your 1.6 calipers a rebuild and clean before you go for a 1.9 setup, you might just find that it was just age getting to them.

Ethos

Ed, a mate has a set of 1.9 calipers I can borrow/have and i've picked up some cheap 1.9 pads so may as well give them a go :)

The seal kit seems cheap, I did see a full seal kit for £20 on ebay for the 1.9s too. Big job?

Edited by Ethos