• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

309 Beam Help

yorkshirekowboy

<_< right, i managed to get my stuck traliing arm shaft out of the beam without and damage to the beam apart from when i had to knock around the bearing and i have scored the face of where the bearing sits. also i have noticed a slight pitted/chip on the face and im needing to know if this would effect the workings of the new bearings i put in?

the picture below shows all...

Photo047withmarks.jpg

just wondering what you guys think i should do, i have sanded it abit and its got better, but the black bit that you can see in the picture, is a pitt in the face, should i used like chemical metal etc to fix it? the other side of the beams face is perfect.

Edited by surferkid205

Baz

Not that i'm any authority on the subject, it's a bearing race that goes in there, so as long as it's pitted inward and nothing is sticking out, it should be fine, it's not a big enough indentation to be a problem IMO.

yorkshirekowboy
Not that i'm any authority on the subject, it's a bearing race that goes in there, so as long as it's pitted inward and nothing is sticking out, it should be fine, it's not a big enough indentation to be a problem IMO.

the scores you can see as lines are facing outwards, so should i wet and dry them?

heres some more views of my problem...

Photo050.jpg

Photo048.jpg

this is the other side, which as you can see is ok

Photo051.jpg

Tom Fenton

Get some measuring sticks in there and measure it in a few directions to see if it is ovalled.

yorkshirekowboy
Get some measuring sticks in there and measure it in a few directions to see if it is ovalled.

why does it look ovalled like? what you mean measuring sticks? the photo does make it look like its ovaled but its not in my eyes or my dads ha

Tom Fenton

I didn't say it was, but worth checking as a visual inspection tells you f all in reality.

philfingers

The chances are those scores (from a screwdriver or chisel no doubt) will be slightly proud. You can do it by hand or use a dremel type thing. Other way is get a piece of 1/4" (6mm) rod and cut a slot in the end with a hacksaw. then insert a bit of emery, drop it in your drill and clean it up. I wouldn't think it would affect the bearings at all.

Anthony

So long as it's not ovalled like Tom mentioned (which it doesn't look to be at a glance, but always worth verifying with a pair of verniers) then IMO those slight scores and pitting shouldn't affect anything and there appears to be sufficient metal to adequately support the bearing - just make sure that there's not any raised edges that could distort or press on the bearing casing as mentioned by Phil above.

yorkshirekowboy
So long as it's not ovalled like Tom mentioned (which it doesn't look to be at a glance, but always worth verifying with a pair of verniers) then IMO those slight scores and pitting shouldn't affect anything and there appears to be sufficient metal to adequately support the bearing - just make sure that there's not any raised edges that could distort or press on the bearing casing as mentioned by Phil above.

right had a closer look at the tube, i have noticed is pitted abit where the trailing arm shaft was stuck/was. Look at the red area in the picture to find where i mean. i dont think it would effect anything. what you guys think?

Photo047tube2.jpg

also im planning on putting grp a mounts on the beam, so i have cut and burnt the old ones out, but there is the metal casing of the bushes still left in the munts on the tube. Am i right in thinking you leave them in, for grp a, grp n mounts?

Baz
Am i right in thinking you leave them in, for grp a, grp n mounts?

Nope, take those out too, or the GrpA ones will never go in!

yorkshirekowboy
Nope, take those out too, or the GrpA ones will never go in!

sweet taken them out, easier than i thought. came across this problem now, see some pictures of peoples beam on here with a new part i dont know whats it called. take a look at the picture...

Untitled.jpg

also do these need to be replaced? i have tried to knock it out, so hope it actually does come out as really it could do with being replaced on both sides.

help...

Anthony

I'm assuming you mean the outer bit that the stud goes through? It unscrews rather than knocks out, but tbh if it's undamaged I'd not bother.

yorkshirekowboy
I'm assuming you mean the outer bit that the stud goes through? It unscrews rather than knocks out, but tbh if it's undamaged I'd not bother.

yeah like the washer bit, which the stud goes through, well mine are abit damaged and cos i tryed to knock it out, its dented it with the punch, boo, so whats the name of it and part number? gather you can still get hold of them?

Anthony
yeah like the washer bit, which the stud goes through, well mine are abit damaged and cos i tryed to knock it out, its dented it with the punch, boo, so whats the name of it and part number? gather you can still get hold of them?

You can, but I think it's a minimum order quantity job unless you've a friendly dealer. Part number is 5154 05 I believe.

If you get stuck, then I think that I've got a few new ones spare.

yorkshirekowboy
You can, but I think it's a minimum order quantity job unless you've a friendly dealer. Part number is 5154 05 I believe.

If you get stuck, then I think that I've got a few new ones spare.

well mate have a look, and if you have some new ones ill buy them off you????

Sign in to follow this