• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andychalmers

What Can Be Changed In A Gearbox Whilst Still Fitted

andychalmers

What can be changed in a gearbox whilst still fitted. I have a BE3 in a 205 rally car. I'll have to change the box as use differnt final drives on different events, just wondered if anything can be changed or fixed in sutue e.g. certain gears etc.

Im mint with 205's but never stripped a gearbox.

Tom Fenton

5th gear can definitely be got off, and I think it would be possible to get the diff out, although I've never done this personally so not 100%. Final drive change requires the box stripping, gearbox off job.

James_R

As said not much

You can get the diff itslef in and out, but not the output shaft/pinion if you wanted to change the final

Best off having a few boxes built then just swap the diff itself over to the box you'll use

andychalmers

I was more bothered about what things can be fixed in service if anything, plus I thought but was'nt sure if 5th gear was changable.

How easy is it to change 5th gear? and how long does it take?

I have a 5.3 & 4.8 box with close ratio gears. The 5.3 tops speed on 195/50 - 15 rubber is 95mph. If I can change 5th gear easily I can change if I want to do a track day or use on the road without revving the nuts off.

Miles

You can change most of the gear's over without removing the input shaft, 5th Gear takes minutes to change over.

Sign in to follow this